Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Who is unwrapping their pins this weekend?

With temperatures predicted to be in double digits (disclaimer: for a couple of hours, in some parts of the country) who will be leaving the tights and warmers behind? In the vain hope that Spring might spring and stay sprung. Will all the winter miles straining against black roubaix pay off? Will you bound over the Dales like a lamb? Please wax lyrical...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

54 comments

PonteD | 9 years ago
0 likes

Plenty out around Leeds/Wakefield area today, lots had numbers on so I'm guessing there was an event going on nearby. I had my shorts on and even my short sleeve top today. The arm warmers went on though before I dropped into Otley, not sure why it always feels cold the minute you head down towards Caley.

Of the many out, I think only a handful appeared to be in shorts.

Bazza155 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Knee warmers this morning...still a chill in the air.

wycombewheeler | 9 years ago
0 likes

tights and winter jersey, necessary when starting at 07:30, but pretty warm by early afternoon.

fenix | 9 years ago
0 likes

How long is a football match? A good bike ride would be three or four times as long and as has been said - it's a lot cooler at speed.

No shorts for me today. Torrential rain. Still it's good to get some miles out of the rain kit.

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Not to mention that halfway through a football match, you can grab a full change of clothes!

I was like a frozen drowned rat when I got home. Tights, gabba etc. I did see a few wearing shorts in the torrential rain.

The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes

It was blowin a hoolie oot there the day!
bare legs can wait...

dotdash | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was out in thermal jersey (no base layer), shorts and knee warmers today in Leeds, at times I needed a base layer and at others a thinner jersey would have done.

It's a tough call at the moment.

Reg Molehusband | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shorts, jersey, base layer, arm warmers and windstopper gilet today. Dry roads, sunshine, no wind. Felt great. Bring on the summer.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shorts, base layer, no gloves and an Altura windproof jacket today for me, it was absolutely gorgeous weather and soooo nice having the wind blow through me hairy legs. Temp hit 8c today, very nice.

Leviathan replied to The _Kaner | 9 years ago
0 likes
The _Kaner wrote:

bare legs can wait...

What you get up to in your own private time is between you and the Hoolie, and not for us to judge.

BTW, where did all your segments go Kaner?

The _Kaner replied to Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:
The _Kaner wrote:

bare legs can wait...

What you get up to in your own private time is between you and the Hoolie, and not for us to judge.

BTW, where did all your segments go Kaner?

Didn't move over to the paid version of veloviewer yet...
and I have been off the bike since Christmas...only about 3 or 4 rides so far this year...illness and work commitments...but will be heading out this morning for a couple of hours...

Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes

Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon after the rain had stopped.

Saw 18 other cyclists, only one of whom was in shorts. For the record, I wore Ron Hill Tracksters over shorts, my advocacy of Tracksters has previously been ridiculed on this forum, so no need for further comment.

As a former footballer and cross country runner, sports in which shorts are always worn, I wonder why cyclists don't also wear shorts all year round.

I only cover up because I'm an OAP and feel the cold these days.

mrmo replied to Kapelmuur | 9 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

As a former footballer and cross country runner, sports in which shorts are always worn, I wonder why cyclists don't also wear shorts all year round.

In part, how often to runners hit 30-40mph? windchill at those speeds is considerable. Then there is the point, just because runners don't wrap up doesn't mean they shouldn't. Going by the number of runners i meet who are injured, constantly injured, something is wrong.

SamSkjord replied to mrmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Run cross country and you make your own leg warmers:
//igcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t51.2885-15/1740021_227092794081154_1384165728_n.jpg)

Not all of that is mud, it sure did get hot though.

Nat Jas Moe | 9 years ago
0 likes

Kept the bib tights on yesterday as it wasn't the temperature but the strong wind that went with it. I much prefer to be warm on a long ride than feel the chill set in. Oh by the way it was the Ashdown sportive epic route, I found it a bit of a struggle at times against that wind but made it all the way.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's been thermal longs or warmers this winter, apart from just knee warmers when racing.
Was leg warmers yesterday, it was still in the low singles at 7am yesterday.
I'm all for keeping the knees covered below 15, having varying weights of warmers help.
Riding at 0 with uncovered knees just makes you a fool, not a hardman.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

Plenty of cyclists out in Bristol today, I left home with a jacket and LS jersey but had to put the jacket in my pannier after 2 miles of gentle climbing.

Jack Osbourne snr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jacket, tights, waterproof trousers and cleated wellies today. 11 degrees, 40kph wind and pissing down in Glasgow.

Saw two other cyclists in an hour and a half on the road...

bashthebox | 9 years ago
0 likes

Regretted my tights and LS gabba today - it really was a proper shorts/kneewarmers/armwarmers sort of day.
Bloody glorious.

sergius | 9 years ago
0 likes

I ended up getting them out in the end  1 Though my fairly unscientific straw poll suggested I was definitely in the minority when looking around.

Lots of folks out lapping out the sunshine today, lovely day for it.

SuperG | 9 years ago
0 likes

If its a cyclo cross race, they are uncovered, other wise double digits (15+)

Leviathan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I hope everyone's rides are as epic as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szbB-vLVnoQ
Noah and the Whale - First Days of Spring, especially 4:30 onwards

J90 | 9 years ago
0 likes

ooh everybody's a hard man.

You have to keep your legs warm through the winter rides to get the best out of them. This weekend might be the first time in a while that the shorts won't be accompanied by the leg warmers though.

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have not worn full length tights at all in over a year, they were put away in the Autumn of 2013. My legs have had exposed skin on my calves all through the winter, I've had knee warmers and shorts or 3/4 bibs regardless of the temperature.

StevePurcell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had the legs out today in Manchester it was almost summer

massivecompacthalo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Started last week here in Catalunya. But only in the middle of the day, 15-20°, early mornings still precariously close to zero!

unistriker | 9 years ago
0 likes

Its been a really mild winter, Shorts over thermal shorts.

I cant be seen wearing leggings. Commute everyday.

Legs got shave three weeks ago.

Still on the fingered gloves though.

chokofingrz | 9 years ago
0 likes

Shorts? I had a quick ride today not realising I was still wearing pyjama trousers under my jeans!  24 (Morning routine a bit rushed!) I wondered why early March felt warmer than usual...

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

i got the pins out for last week's cat 4s but haven't since...

StraelGuy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Doing my local 25 miler in about an hour and might give the shorts a try. I've been wearing them all winter but I hate long cycling 'shorts'.

Pages

Latest Comments