Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Budget wheelset - Fulcrum R7, Mavic Aksium, Shimano RS31, Campagnolo Khamsin G3. Which ones?

I am looking for a budget wheelset -no more than £150 for my Specialized allez to replace the Alex rims s500 it is supplied with. They need to be 11 speed compatible for my new groupset

My options are
Campagnolo Khasmin G3
Shimano RS31
Shimano RS11
Shimano RS61
Mavic Aksium one
Fulcrum Racing 7 LG

I have been mainly looking at either the Fulcrums or the Shimano RS31's
I am a new rider but would like to have a better wheels to the ones supplied and especially becuase i am going to upgrade to shimano 105 11 speed.
I like the look of the RS31 wheelset but i dont know whether the lighter Fulcrum R7 would be better.
Also, is there any advantage of the RS31 over the RS11 wheelset?
I know i will get many replies saying that each of the wheels i have listed are good/bad etc- does this mean they are all roughly the same?
I am not very heavy at all so that not an issue but i would like a smooth running, good looking wheel-set that will withstand a few bumps without breaking.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a set of new 2014 R5s with the 17mm axle and new rear hub for £138 late last year. Fantastic wheels, so much better than the damp Shimano RS6700 and soft RS80C24s that I had. Stiff, reasonable weight (1640g), very lively feeling. Worth hunting around for.

wrevilo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum Racing 7 LG are the only wheelset that uses a wider rim. I would go for those.

Kelly's Eye | 9 years ago
0 likes

No hassles with Mavic Aksium. Run 'em on the commute all year round. Expect to get 5-6000 miles off a set, ran in all weathers before the rims wear out.

If you import them from Germany off this website, www.4thebike.de you can grab a set for around £120 delivered. Even better value if you swap out and sell the stock Mavic tyres that come with the Wheelset and put on something decent. The Aksion tyres that come with the wheels are great in the dry but poor in the wet.

Good luck with your choice!

roadgenius4 replied to Kelly's Eye | 9 years ago
0 likes

i have just bought a set of Fulcrum racing 7 LG's.
they came with tyres and inner tubes £134 ribble cycles
I think they should be pretty good

Kelly's Eye replied to roadgenius4 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Bargain. A sound choice, enjoy the ride.  16

Chris James | 9 years ago
0 likes

Incidentally RS21, 31 and 61s all seem to have the same hubs. The RS11s are a bit more basic, according to Shimano techdocs.

Chris James | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have some RS30s that I have had for 4 years or so. I like them, they look good, have never broken any spokes, run totally true, the hub bearings are as new.

My mate's Aksiums broke a spoke after about 18 months, but he is heavier than me.

I like cup and cone wheels and steel freehubs, but some prefer cartridge bearings and are happy with alloy freehubs. Otherwise I guess most wheels at this sort of price point are much of a muchness.

Rod Marton | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden RS10s for years without problems - they are bombproof. Switched to Racing 7s - only had them for 6 months but they're fine so far. It really comes down to which you like the look of or can get the best deal on.

timbola | 9 years ago
0 likes

At the risk of repeating several other posters' remarks ... I had a pair of Fulcrum Racing 7s on my Wilier and the rims finally wore out after 7 years (I am quite light). Broke ONE spoke in that time, never had to true them other than that one time. Pawl springs failed a couple of times, but that is it ! Thoroughly reliable for commuting through lanes and London ... as well as Stravaing, so not too slow. Replaced them last year with Fulcrum Racing 5s. old model, at a ridiculously cheap price and love them, too. Have Khamsin G3s on my wife's bike - no problems there, either ... as stated, they are basically from the same stable, anyway.

surfingalan | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi , I was in exactly the same spot 6 months ago and I went for the fulcrum 7 's . Must say I'm extremely happy with them and the 11spd 105 upgrade is next . My mate has same bike as me with mavics on which were more money and I can't really tell the difference.

Happy biking

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got a set of Khasims for the winter bike in December, can't fault them yet.

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have used the Khamsins in the past,great value.

KAR_Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have R7's, Rs11's and RS31's.
31's feel heavy, a bit sluggish and slightly harsh.
RS11's solid and reliable. Can feel where the rim is joined under braking.
R7's comfortable, climb ok and no nasty handling surprises.

New freehub and rear bearings in R7's with 4000km on them.

andylul | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrums and Campags come from the same stable. I had Siroccos on my carbon road bike, Fulcrum 7's on my winter bike. Never had a problem with either (and I'm a hefty rider) Only time I had a spoke go was when my mech hanger bent and dropped the chain off the inner cog.

The G3 lacing on the Campags looks really nice IMO.

Bristol Bullet | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've had a pair of Fulcrum Racing 7s for the last 2 years, done over 10,000 miles and they run as true today as they did the day I got them, and not one loose or broken spoke. There is a little play in the bearings now but as the wear indicators have just disappeared they will sadly now be put out to grass, however, the good news is they've been replaced by Campagnolo Khamsins (not the G3) which are also highly rated by most owners.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

You'd be better off spending a bit more on Fulcrum 5 or RS61.

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Had Khamsins on my road bike for 2 years and 10k+ miles. No problems to report although the bike is having a service next week which may flag up something. Still dead straight.

pablo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Controversial subject really you will find people who love one wheel set and others who hate them.

So to stick my opinion in my bike came with RS20 and were nothing but trouble. broken spokes, never ran true, and then eventually a spoke took out the rim.

Bought some Fulcrum 5's for £160 from memory. Ran true from the day i bought them had about 3000 miles on them but have had to replace the bearings in the free hub and front wheel due to water ingress. From people i know who run fulcrum they all seem to run pretty good. I didn't mind the bearing changes because they always got me home.

Waits for someone to say something completely different  1

Latest Comments