Video: Cereal offender filmed eating breakfast while driving Maserati

Glasgow man munching in morning traffic

by John Stevenson   February 27, 2014  

Maserati breakfast

This driver in Glasgow appears to have a very nice car — £90,000 Maserati Granturismo S — but as a result of having spent all that money on his wheels, he's having breakfast on the road because has no house to eat in.

That’s the conclusion of helmet-cam user David Brennan who showed the driver tucking into his morning meal while piloting the 185mph Italian supercar in a video published yesterday.

“At first I thought this driver was on his mobile phone,” David says in the video’s intro text. He sounds pretty amused when he realises that the driver is actually having breakfast.

In November last year a man was charged after a driver was filmed apparently eating from a bowl of cereal in Edinburgh.

Speaking about that incident, Kevin Clinton, head of road safety at The Royal Society of the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), said: “This driver is being irresponsible and risking his own life and the lives of people around him, especially the cyclists he is overtaking.

“Trying to hold and eat from a bowl while driving is a particularly stupid and dangerous thing to do.”

Drivers caught eating in Scotland can be liable to £90 and three penalty points, with stiffer penalties if their driving is judged to be careless or dangerous.

37 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Could have been worse, might have been deep frying a Mars bar...

gazpacho's picture

posted by gazpacho [80 posts]
27th February 2014 - 14:04

like this
Like (21)

Beavis: Whoa dude, he's like eating cereal
Butthead: Cool
Beavis: I wanna eat cereal in a Ferrari
Butthead: I wanna eat cereal on my bike...

So, fellow cyclists this guy is obviously way cool. Let's just try to find out what cereal he's eating Smile

I wonder what he's having for dinner!

I also wonder if he has the milk, bowl, spoon and cereal in his car or does he take the bowl out of the house ready to go, which I imagine is quite difficult when you have to get in and put your seat belt on.

posted by ronin [123 posts]
27th February 2014 - 14:07

like this
Like (15)

Maserati Muesli....talk to me

posted by Simmo72 [277 posts]
27th February 2014 - 14:08

like this
Like (22)

Are you a mathematician Ousaveard?

I once rode to work on my bike having a shave (not wet) with the Braun. Worked well until I dropped it.

Cereal bars one thing but a bowl of milky cornflakes is another. Imagine the mess if he braked hard.

Lets not become vigilanties on two wheels eh!

posted by Guyz2010 [283 posts]
27th February 2014 - 14:26

like this
Like (18)

I never know when I will fancy a piece of toast.

posted by Dr_Lex [130 posts]
27th February 2014 - 14:39

like this
Like (29)

O level Physics. Ek = ½mv2

So me on my bike munching

Kinetic energy = Mass (90 Kg) x Velocity (11 - 12 mph = ~5m/s) squared so) 25 then divided by 2. 90 x 25 = 2250/2 = 1125

Car at same speed

1950 x 25 / 2 = 24375.

Remember also that the velocity is squared. Double the speed to 22mph and it's 97500 for the maserati 4500 for a biggish fella on a bike.

Mind you he could be going 44 in traffic. so 390,000 joules of kinetic energy.

So the same energy as 25 pro cyclists barreling along at 33mph no hands eating ceareal and all the force compressed into a bonnet sized warhead.

even at ~12 mph the impact of the car is equivalent to being hit by 22 big fat cyclists all at the same time.

12mph is not a trivial impact speed in a nigh on 2 ton car.

Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand.

posted by oozaveared [553 posts]
27th February 2014 - 15:14

like this
Like (21)

I am not condoning driving while eating cereal or being distracted, but in this situtuation no one is in any danger, the traffic is barely moving. I wouldn't like it if someone walks around filming me doing things that I do wrong when I am on my bike.

I think helmet cams are good to be evidence when incidents occur, rather than using it to be vigilante is a bit of a bitchmove, i mean we all have *ahem* accidentally ran set of ligthts or two at some point.

pants's picture

posted by pants [73 posts]
27th February 2014 - 15:17

like this
Like (22)

Dr_Lex wrote:
I never know when I will fancy a piece of toast.

Rolling On The Floor

posted by bfslxo [118 posts]
27th February 2014 - 15:22

like this
Like (27)

pants wrote:
I am not condoning driving while eating cereal or being distracted, but in this situtuation no one is in any danger, the traffic is barely moving. I wouldn't like it if someone walks around filming me doing things that I do wrong when I am on my bike.

I think helmet cams are good to be evidence when incidents occur, rather than using it to be vigilante is a bit of a bitchmove, i mean we all have *ahem* accidentally ran set of ligthts or two at some point.

You're sure he wouldn't do this in other circumstances as well? He's in charge of a large, quick, killing machine , breaking the law, and failing to control it properly. The only pity is they won't punish him adequately. Confiscate the car and make him watch it being crushed would be about right.

posted by oldstrath [143 posts]
27th February 2014 - 16:10

like this
Like (22)

gazpacho wrote:
Could have been worse, might have been deep frying a Mars bar...

Yep Weegies, known for their healthy eating habits.

I hope he's got leather seats. Spilt milk would be hard to clean up from cloth seat covers.
Smile

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2164 posts]
27th February 2014 - 17:12

like this
Like (14)

As the cyclist in this video, I can confirm that for the driver to get to this queue he would have driven on a 40mph road. Up until shortly before the start of the video, the road was clear and so it is reasonable to assume that he would have been driving at least 30mph in his own private dining room.

Is a driver driving in this manner really in full control of his vehicle?

posted by magnatom [4 posts]
27th February 2014 - 18:10

like this
Like (42)

magnatom wrote:
As the cyclist in this video, I can confirm that for the driver to get to this queue he would have driven on a 40mph road. Up until shortly before the start of the video, the road was clear and so it is reasonable to assume that he would have been driving at least 30mph in his own private dining room.

Is a driver driving in this manner really in full control of his vehicle?

I must say, I ride that road, I've seen a few of your videos, though for once I can see your problem with this.

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [513 posts]
27th February 2014 - 19:37

like this
Like (21)

I've had a wet shave while cycling down the street, I've talked on the phone, sent texts, taken photos and video, and eaten every meal on the bike. As a car driver I've been better behaved (but not perfect!). I suspect many cyclists, like me, should not throw stones because we live in glass houses.

Vin Cox

posted by Vin Cox [44 posts]
27th February 2014 - 21:33

like this
Like (26)

caaad10 wrote:
Do we really need to become vigilante traffic cops? I often munch a cereal bar whilst cycling and no-one has had a go at me (yet). It's obviously more dangerous than keeping my hands covering the brakes, and it could cause an accident. I suppose it's only a matter of time before car drivers & vigilante pedestrians take their revenge on youtube....

To use the word "vigilante" is to obfuscate the situation.

The fact of the matter is people MUST NOT drive like this. It is illegal. Your very (trolling) comment does massive disservice to every bike rider, motorcyclist and pedestrian out there needing the road to be a safe environment.

Its not about revenge. Drivers and pedestrians can film others as much as they like when the actions of another are wrong - and when they are wrong we should all be standing in unison against it.

downfader's picture

posted by downfader [196 posts]
27th February 2014 - 22:17

like this
Like (13)

pants wrote:
I am not condoning driving while eating cereal or being distracted, but in this situtuation no one is in any danger, the traffic is barely moving. I wouldn't like it if someone walks around filming me doing things that I do wrong when I am on my bike.

I think helmet cams are good to be evidence when incidents occur, rather than using it to be vigilante is a bit of a bitchmove, i mean we all have *ahem* accidentally ran set of ligthts or two at some point.

How will the driver:
-indicate their intentions
-have full concentration on the road
-turn the wheel effectively under sedate circumstance let alone at 40mph?

You have condoned the driving shown. That makes you pretty bad yourself. I've never run any lights myself tbh. What you're suggesting is that bad cycling (which could kill the rider and never a driver) excuses anothers actions...

...god forbid nobody jumps from a bridge. You might just copy them with that mentality. Using the V word is irresponsible in itself

downfader's picture

posted by downfader [196 posts]
27th February 2014 - 22:39

like this
Like (17)

I don't know how he got there and I'm not excusing his behaviour, but he has joined 4 miles of traffic moving slower than a slow thing for half an hour. (It's the southbound switchback near the garscube campus)

So let's not kid ourselves on that this was massively dangerous as he will be crawling, albeit it's a stupid and unnecessary risk.

Being connected with Italian sports cars myself, perhaps the biggest red neck for the driver of the Maser is that he must have it in city (automatic) mode.......

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [513 posts]
27th February 2014 - 23:02

like this
Like (12)

Flying Scot wrote:
I don't know how he got there and I'm not excusing his behaviour, but he has joined 4 miles of traffic moving slower than a slow thing for half an hour. (It's the southbound switchback near the garscube campus)

So let's not kid ourselves on that this was massively dangerous as he will be crawling, albeit it's a stupid and unnecessary risk.

Being connected with Italian sports cars myself, perhaps the biggest red neck for the driver of the Maser is that he must have it in city (automatic) mode.......

Lets look at it another way.

Whilst he's munching and the traffic has all set off in front of him - at the very least he is delaying the traffic behind him. I see this with people texting at the lights, it goes green and nobody manages to go anywhere because that text/tweet etc is oh so very important.

In reality eating, texting etc can wait.

downfader's picture

posted by downfader [196 posts]
27th February 2014 - 23:07

like this
Like (20)

Don't disagree down fader, its bang out of order and anti social while being unnecessarily risky.

Just putting the traffic conditions on that road in rush hour into perspective

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [513 posts]
27th February 2014 - 23:37

like this
Like (12)

A vigilante is someone who takes action to punish someone else who they decide is a criminal. They usurp the law's prerogative to punish.
The headcam cyclists are doing what is the duty of a citizen, to bring to the attention of the law what looks like law breaking.
If you see a person climbing through your neighbour's window and dial 999 you are not a vigilante, but just a citizen doing your duty.

posted by felixcat [208 posts]
27th February 2014 - 23:38

like this
Like (32)

Bikebikebike wrote:

Because obviously there is no difference between riding a bike and driving a car.

I can still perform an emergency stop whilst eating a bowl of cereal in a car, I don't believe do this on my bike. So I suppose there is a difference.

In my opinion (as a cyclist) the cyclist is more of a potential 'hazard' than the driver of the car, cycling in heavy, moving traffic, mind on the youtube money shot, not looking in the direction of travel, "if a child ran out" etc. etc... watch the video & make your own mind up.

posted by caaad10 [108 posts]
28th February 2014 - 8:50

like this
Like (12)

The difference is, do this on a bike and kill someone you'll get done for manslaughter and a gang of Tory MPs will demand that all cyclists be flogged.

Do it in a car you'll turn on the waterworks, greet on about your support for victims of cancer and you'll never forgive yourself, an "expert" will tell the court that the accident was the fault of the victim and her family, you'll be let off with a 6 month ban. Which you will ignore.

posted by oldstrath [143 posts]
28th February 2014 - 10:12

like this
Like (13)

Comment deleted

posted by Andrewwd [22 posts]
28th February 2014 - 11:44

like this
Like (10)

caaad10 wrote:
Bikebikebike wrote:

Because obviously there is no difference between riding a bike and driving a car.

I can still perform an emergency stop whilst eating a bowl of cereal in a car, I don't believe do this on my bike. So I suppose there is a difference.

In my opinion (as a cyclist) the cyclist is more of a potential 'hazard' than the driver of the car, cycling in heavy, moving traffic, mind on the youtube money shot, not looking in the direction of travel, "if a child ran out" etc. etc... watch the video & make your own mind up.

Yeah... you're clearly trolling as you have nothing sensible to add. Keep blaming those who are concerned about the law and doing campaign work - on YOUR behalf

As I said last night on twitter - ANY cyclist that defends a driver like this is an enemy of their own safety. Dont come crying on internet forums when you become affected.

downfader's picture

posted by downfader [196 posts]
28th February 2014 - 13:20

like this
Like (14)

caaad10 wrote:
In my opinion (as a cyclist) the cyclist is more of a potential 'hazard' than the driver of the car, cycling in heavy, moving traffic, mind on the youtube money shot, not looking in the direction of travel, "if a child ran out" etc. etc... watch the video & make your own mind up.

Are you f-ing kidding? Hazard to whom beside themselves exactly?

posted by jacknorell [330 posts]
28th February 2014 - 13:43

like this
Like (13)

felixcat wrote:
A vigilante is someone who takes action to punish someone else who they decide is a criminal. They usurp the law's prerogative to punish.
The headcam cyclists are doing what is the duty of a citizen, to bring to the attention of the law what looks like law breaking.
If you see a person climbing through your neighbour's window and dial 999 you are not a vigilante, but just a citizen doing your duty.

Though in certain social circles they'd call you a 'grass'!

I do think maybe there is a bit of an issue about everyone being under constant video surveillance when in public areas. Actual crimes are one thing, but anything stupid or embarrassing you do in public is now potentially going to get an audience of millions, forever!
But that's just the modern world, cycle-cams are only a small part of it.

posted by FluffyKittenofT... [656 posts]
28th February 2014 - 14:09

like this
Like (9)

downfader wrote:

Lets look at it another way.

Whilst he's munching and the traffic has all set off in front of him - at the very least he is delaying the traffic behind him. I see this with people texting at the lights, it goes green and nobody manages to go anywhere because that text/tweet etc is oh so very important.

I only saw that for the first time recently. Got so used to motorists being so impatient they jump the red it really baffled me to see one failing to move when the lights were green - till I noticed they were hunched over their mobile.

posted by FluffyKittenofT... [656 posts]
28th February 2014 - 14:11

like this
Like (11)

downfader wrote:

Yeah... you're clearly trolling as you have nothing sensible to add. Keep blaming those who are concerned about the law and doing campaign work - on YOUR behalf

As I said last night on twitter - ANY cyclist that defends a driver like this is an enemy of their own safety. Dont come crying on internet forums when you become affected.

Kettle. Pot. Black.

Watch the video. Make your own mind up.

posted by caaad10 [108 posts]
28th February 2014 - 16:02

like this
Like (11)

There is a point here, the rider should be looking at where he is going, not craning his neck to get better video and provide a loud running commentary to all and sundry.

A shake of the head would have done.

Call them what you like, but some of these amateur traffic cop types on bikes with helmet cams just put other cyclists at risk by pissing everyone off and getting us all tarred as vigilantes.

Half the videos posted, I don't understand myself as a cyclist what the indignation is about, the other 25%, yeah bad driving, but no harm done ( if it was motorist to motorist, would result in a FLASH or PARP) and yeah , sure the final 25% are serious and dangerous fully deserving of a bollocking.

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [513 posts]
28th February 2014 - 17:53

like this
Like (13)

Flying Scot wrote
A shake of the head would have done.
( Thinking No it wont)

Call them what you like, but some of these amateur traffic cop types on bikes with helmet cams just put other cyclists at risk by pissing everyone off and getting us all tarred as vigilantes.
( Thinking No it wont)

Half the videos posted, I don't understand myself as a cyclist what the indignation is about, the other 25%, yeah bad driving, but no harm done ( if it was motorist to motorist, would result in a FLASH or PARP) and yeah , sure the final 25% are serious and dangerous fully deserving of a bollocking.

Well ask yourself this, when you walk out of the morgue after identifying a loved one whether you really want to carry on shaking your head, tutt tutting or sighing in resignation or do you want to highlight the crass stupidity, recklesness and outright lawbreaking on our roads and get the authorities to do something about the criminal activities on our roads.

FATBEGGARONABIKE's picture

posted by FATBEGGARONABIKE [580 posts]
1st March 2014 - 18:00

like this
Like (9)

It's interesting that a video of a guy eating his breakfast while driving attracts 2 schools of comment:

1) He is eating breakfast while driving - WHAT?

2) Someone is filming him eating his breakfast (while driving) - WHAT?

Now, I completely agree that not arguing with motorists if you are a cyclist or pedestrian is a very good idea (especially in Glasgow - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-26303925), and can understand that criticism of ones driving is hard for people to accept. However;

- cyclists have been passively shaking their head and tut tutting dangerous driving for decades. This strategy hasn't done much to highlight the danger of bad driving.
- Imminent technologies such as google glass are going to render this sort of thing totally normal in a few years.

I think the best approach is to let it go at the time, don't get annoyed (& you can't educate them) - and then feel free to upload it to youtube to demonstrate the reality of cycling in Britain.

posted by paulmcmillan [78 posts]
1st March 2014 - 21:42

like this
Like (4)