Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wahoo Website Warning

A word of warning for anyone thinking of purchasing from Wahoo's website. 

Even though their terms and conditions state that ALL UK taxes and duty are included in the price, they are not! You will be charged import duty as all Wahoo's items ship from the EU.

Of course it is impossible to discuss this with Wahoo as you cannot reach them on the phone and their ticket system is appalling. 

However, remember that many of the products we buy online are distributed from the Netherlands, GoPro being another example. Just be careful before you click that button!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

Many EU sites are now removing VAT at checkout. I have just ordered from R2bike (Germany) and once you enter in the destination country (UK in this case) the price changes. It is worth checking before you pay, though.

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
1 like

Isn't Brexit ace? I hadn't expected to see the benefits so soon.

Fishpastesarnie | 3 years ago
0 likes

I am trying to work out if this is correct.
I purchased a Kickr trainer from Wahoo which costs £999 including VAT. As Wahoo send all European orders from a warehouse in the Netherlands I checked on the Wahoo website and under the UK section for Taxes and Duties it states that the purchase price includes all taxes and duty. This being the case I decided to make the purchase. 

UPS have now sent me a message stating that I must pay £153.53 Government charges and their £11.50 fee.

I have tried to contact Wahoo but it is impossible to speak with anyone and they use an online ticket system which takes hours for a response. I have received a reply now which says "We have been made aware that several customers are experiencing this with UPS and we are working with our logistics team and the courier to get this resolved ASAP. We want to get your order to you as quickly as you would like to receive it and hope that we will have an update later today."

I have been able to speak with UPS via Twitter and all they can tell me is "According to our records, the sender chose to pay for the transport and have you as the receiver pay for the import fees. The sender paid us for the shipping charges, and they instructed us that you had to pay for the import fees." and then "The pending fee is for the duties and taxes to import the package into the UK; these are calculated by each importing country. If you refuse the package, you should also notify the shipper in the event they decide not to abandon the package" 

Can anybody help me with this and where I stand. Am I being charged twice for VAT? How can I check whether tacxes are actually due? 

mdavidford replied to Fishpastesarnie | 3 years ago
2 likes

Fishpastesarnie wrote:

How can I check whether tacxes are actually due? 

I thought it was a Wahoo you'd ordered? 

Fishpastesarnie replied to mdavidford | 3 years ago
0 likes

ha ha whoops! 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Fishpastesarnie | 3 years ago
0 likes

Can anybody help me with this and where I stand. Am I being charged twice for VAT? How can I check whether taxes are actually due? 

Nope, VAT is on the price and this is import taxes. You get these charges when ordering from USA for example.

This seems to stil indicate it is only Outside of the EU though. Sounds like a cockup by UPS applying duties as if no deal was done.

Fishpastesarnie replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
1 like

UPS are just responding to the paperwork issued by Wahoo. It is Wahoo who have messed this up. 

UPS have confirmed that the £165.03 is broken down as follows:-

Customs Duty £1.50

VAT £152.03

UPS fee £11.50 

The problem is that it is impossible to speak with anybody at Wahoo to get this rectified. I have had 1 acknowledgement on their 'ticket system' in 2 days. Their customer support is completely non-existant. 

I am clearly being double charged on the VAT element due to Wahoo's incompetence. 

The same will happen to anybody else making a purchase from Wahoo's website. 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Fishpastesarnie | 3 years ago
1 like

I would state refuse and get a refund on the order because between Wahoo and UPS they are treating the UK as not having a deal in place it seems. And trying to sort out the problems could be painful anyway. 

Fishpastesarnie replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
4 likes

Two developments, UPS guy turned up I showed him my Wahoo invoice showing the VAT had been paid etc. He phoned his office and they let me have the Kickr without any payment.

Since then Wahoo have finally responded and state the following - "Our logistics team has been working with UPS since this came to light in order to get these orders released and delivered without the customers paying the extra fees UPS were asking for. We have been informed that this should be resolved within the next 24 hours and all orders released to be delivered."

So, if anyone else has been having the same issue then fingers crossed it will be resolved shortly. 

To top it off Wahoo are reimbursing me for the expedited shipping I paid.

So if all goes well that will be a great result/recovery from Wahoo.

Latest Comments