Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Use the Cycle Lane

At the in laws and when shopping by car (yeah, I know). Drove over walton bridge to find myself held up by cyclists !
The thing is the bridge is quite new and the shared pavement is not only very wide but also very smooth.
There seems no reason not to use it apart from 'I don't have to' which is not very compelling in this situation.
I just thought it was an interesting perspective that I rarely get.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

52 comments

qwerty360 | 3 years ago
2 likes

From the traffic lights heading east it is easy to join as the dropped kerb is marked on the road and far enough that you are joining separately to navigating the junction, but the crossing of Walton Lane is lethal (sweeping bend, so cars come around at speed, but the dropped kerb for the crossing is far enough around that you can't see them reliably past the railings and they don't have to give way (given it is a minor road it should be continuous pavement with clear priority for cyclists/pedestrians...) Traffic across the bridge is fairly continuous and you have to wait for a gap in all traffic because you can't guarantee who is turning, so it can be a long wait...

Heading west, joining from the roundabout usually means dealing with the petrol station exit traffic (as the rest of that cycle lane is aweful or knowing it has a dropped kerb just after the roundabout on the roundabout, which given it is on a curve on the exit isn't visible on approach.

Unless you want Walton Lane (where there is a dedicated path underneath) you are then trying to squeeze along the path past the traffic lights (maybe 50cm wide gap... My road bike will just fit, though I stopped and scooted through the only time I tried it given it was so narrow...) or try to rejoin the traffic at the lights, so crossing the filter turn in the length of the the ASL... Try crossing 3 wide lanes to get into position to turn right onto Oatlands Drive when the lights could change at any time.

In practice a cyclist here won't significantly slow traffic... I go through this 3-4 times a week (a long ride has 4 options, Hampton Court, Walton, Chertsey or Staines bridge) and even when quiet traffic is usually queuing at the lights (so a far bigger delay than following a cyclist across the bridge causes).

At peak times it queues back past all 4 arms of Marshall's Roundabout (at which point I often do use the poor cycle path, even though the facility to join it their is aweful as going along that at 5-10mph is still quicker than waiting for the cars).

If they fixed the section from the bridge to Marshalls Roundabout it would be far more usable. (Priority over the side roads (all driveways or service roads),  cutting back the overgrowth and enforcement against parking on the cycle track (actually, just enforcing against the illegal parking would make it 10x more usable). Deal with the Walton Lane crossing and how you continue on the mini roundabout and at Marshalls roundabout (plenty of space to fix this properly) and that direction would then be excellent. In the other direction put in a dedicated lights phase for cyclists. I don't think there is space for anything else...

Jitensha Oni replied to qwerty360 | 3 years ago
1 like

Good details that I, as another frequent user, can agree with. A few additional points:

1. Traffic. I used to commute that way. Can confirm how it gets backed up all around there at peak. Spending periods stationary is of course just accepted as part and parcel of being a motorist - whereas get someone riding a bike in front of you, a few kph less than you want to go, but too fast for shared use, and oh how the whinging takes off!

2. Navigation. The track starts just north of Marshall’s roundabout. If you use it to get to New Zealand Avenue in Walton from there i.e. along the A244, you have 9 give ways to contend with, plus the lights, while going away from Walton, the same, including the busy, hazardous junction with Walton Lane as described by others. On the carriageway by contrast, you just have to sweep round the roundabouts having good sight lines (unlike the cycling give ways), giving way twice at the roundabout entrances and nowhere else.

The track disappears at Gaston Bridge Road and New Zealand Avenue, so is, at best 1 km long, i.e. 5 minutes of cycling at a 20kph potter. This is a small distance/time for a recreational ride, and with no other infra for miles, the sum of the potential breaks of pace/hazard points and it’s short distance make it simply not worthwhile for many to use.  Locals do use it with their handlebars laden with shopping bags from Walton Centre though.

3. Cyclists unwelcome everywhere! I have used it to get onto Walton Lane from the Shepperton side and been told by a pedestrian to use the road, when I was going slowly. So you can’t win.

Judge dreadful | 3 years ago
4 likes

I know that bridge well. Using the cycle path / shared path, is suicidally stupid on a  road bike. Dog walkers, people on those stupid bloody scooter things, skate boards, and ( wierdly ) geese, are all things that make the road far preferable.

wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
5 likes

I've never used that cycle lane going east, but I did once try to use the one heading west, which then went round a bend before crossing walton lane. Why does the cycle lane not go straight? the road is not required to have a chicane at side roads. Nor do people turning in or out of side roads have priority of those on the roads.

On going round the unnecesary bend, I came upon a man standing there with a push chair. So when riding on the cycle path speed must be moderated because you never know what pedestrians will be doing. 

In other words cyclists must slow down, so drivers are not 'held up' despite the fact we all know that 99% of the time that drivers are held up, the cause is other drivers.

Looking at the cycle lane going east I see that it is diverted on to a second paralell bridge (probably the original bridge) before coming to an abrupt stop (as far as I can tell) at the ridgeway. (unless the really thin pavement beyond the ridgeway is still shared use.

Good luck rejoining the carriageway at this point with all the drivers who have been liberated from the delays caused by cyclists in order to join the queue at the lights.

In short for cycle lanes to be usable they need to be more than half a mile before spitting you back into the road with no priority and they should not yield to cars entering or existing side roads.

boatdrinks | 3 years ago
4 likes

This is local (~ish) to me. As others have suggested, it’s an everyday example of good intent rendered useless by poor design, almost as if it was approved by someone with no cycling experience …imagine! On the southern approach there’s a miserly snippet of dropped kerb with zero advance warning that’s so easy to miss it may as well not be there (in the most recent streetview image it’s completely obscured from view - and access - by the police car), with a painted arrow right alongside that’s invisible through the big metal lump that’s usually over it, and a lollipop-sized shared use roundel set discreetly back from the carriageway so as not to spoil the view. And even if you do pick up these subliminal cues, at the other end the only option to rejoin the road is an equally compact dropped kerb that looks for all the world like a crossing point for pedestrians. Because it is. And it’s pretty much the same tune in a different key going back the other way. If the bits either side of a road look like they’re just for the people doing the walking about stuff, other road-users will tend to leave them to it.

OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
3 likes

I rarely use cycle paths for the obvious reasons, that bit of path over the bridge though I would use, it looks great, but as mentioned, only if you know it is there. Approaching from the Esso station you probably won't be on the path because of poor design, onto the roundabout and there are no signs, just a very very short length of dropped curb, miss it and i has gone.

wtjs | 3 years ago
3 likes

Based on the first photo, I would probably use that cycleway unless there were 'too many' pedestrians. The question is how many is too many, which I can't answer as I am unlikely to ever use it- 10 would be too many in that view and I would be stepping on the gas, on the road. Someone below referred to the moron motorists who imagine they have a right to shout rubbish at cyclists out of the window. There are a lot of moron motorists about, so I was shouted at a couple of times recently on the Skipton N Bypass- where the innermost line denotes only the edge of the carriageway and there is no cycle lane at all. Occasionally it's almost wide enough to be one, but it isn't. Thickheads are the bane of our lives, or the ending of them!

Hirsute | 3 years ago
5 likes

Thanks to those which wrote considered replies.
Next time I visit, I will put the bike on the roof and do some tests.

Simon E replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

hirsute wrote:

Next time I visit, I will put the bike on the roof and do some tests.

What do you expect to find? If you go with different expectations to those law-abiding people you saw what will it demonstrate?

Perhaps you would like to visit Shrewsbury. We have some really bitty, token stop-start infrastructure I can show you (i.e. mostly stretches of pavements that have been converted to shared paths) . During the lockdown the nicest stretch, which still forces the rider to stop/slow for several side roads, was busy with peds and a few cyclists and I resorted to riding on the road. Despite being a really nice surface, the bike 'lane' part is only wide enough for one cyclist and the ped 'lane' is just wide enough for 2 people walking (provided they remain alert and aware that bikes may approach from in front or behind, although many are not). All the new/born-again cyclists seem to have gone back into hibernation now.

In Autumn one section accumulates deep piles of beech leaves, which can be a death trap when wet and also hazardous if it freezes overnight. In windy weather there are often fallen branches that can flick up into the spokes and are difficut to spot in the dark.

This shared path also stops abruptly beside a 4-way junction. It's on NCR 81, which is the other side of the junction (at your own risk, no lights or priority for the rider, and IME only 1 of the 5 sets of lights will react to cycles approaching on the road).

On the fork I use frequently the cyclist is pushed onto the busy A-road for a mile to reach our estate (unless you want to ride illegally on the pavement).

And that is probably the least rubbish bit of paved cycle path in the whole area.

Perhaps we can ride along the narrow pavement on Smithfield Road with uneven slabs, lamp posts & signs and some huge trees that take up all but 4' of the whole thing. It's a nightmare to ride a bike there unless you have it to yourself. But there are 3 lanes of road beside it.

Shit infrastructure is a waste of money but what might seem to drivers as 'good' infrastructure is not much better.

Cargobike | 3 years ago
3 likes

Unless its infrastructure in my local town/city there's very little chance that I'm going to make use of off-road facilities that I have no knowledge of where they go to.

The chances of ending up on half decent, not even good quality infrastructure is about 0.01% such is the box ticking exercise that constitutes cycling infrastructure in the UK.

This piecemeal approach to provision achieves absolutely nothing, yet costs a fortune. I actually think in many instances it would be cheaper to provide dutch/danish standard infra than the crap our local councils sign off, on a far too regular basis.

Prosper0 | 3 years ago
2 likes

Basically chap. It's absolutely none of your business, so why are you having this conversation? There was a group of people in front of you enjoying themselves, breaking no laws or rules. End of. Learn some patience. 

If you see an adult walking down the street wearing a Hello Kitty jumper, do you log onto a Hello Kitty appreciation forum to ask why adults wear Hello Kitty jumpers? Grow up. 

Hirsute replied to Prosper0 | 3 years ago
1 like

Did you bother to read the last sentence of the OP?

Gary's bike channel | 3 years ago
0 likes
0 likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCL5UfCKJuYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch...

any of these three should surely show the problem. You can't stick bicycles on pavements and call it a cycle path/ lane. It was designed for 3-5 mph walking, not up to 30 mph cycling. They need to- forget putting pedestrians with bicycles. Forget putting bicycles with motor traffic. Build an entirely new route for bicycles only. Wwide enough for bikes to ride side by side and to pass eachother.  Give you priority over junctions and pedestrians. Put lights in for cyclists to stop to allow peds to cross, just how you would on the road. No speed bumps allowed, no bus stops, no lamp posts, no dropped kerbs. No gravel no twigs, no debri for punctures, no head on collisions with angry old people. That is what we want and need. If they havent got the money to do that then simply get rid of all the shared paths and make people ride on the road only. Drivers will have to accept that it just isnt their domain any more. The rise of helmet cams will help and already is doing. What is not helping is idiot councils trying to say theyve made more cycle routes when all theyve done is converted pedestrian walkways into ''cycle lanes''.

The parralel of this i have shouted at a motorist, she beeped at me for passing another rider when i was doing 30 mph. She had nowhere to go but to the back of the traffic queue. She told me GET IN THE CYCLE LANE. Me, being smart, told her'; get on the bus, stop causing congestion.'''    She was of course, causing congestion, as the sole occupant of the car, she was only then driving at 2 miles per hour in a 40 zone, whereas i was holding 30 mph. That is a faster speed than her. So she is actually in MY way, not the other way around, thus if she wants to play it that way, i will tell her to use the bus. She doesnt even pay tax to drive on the road!

https://rate-driver.co.uk/HG09FOJ

0 likes
Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hmmmm
Is there any cycle path that will satisfy the posters of roadcc ?

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
8 likes

yes, ones that are actually of benefit to cyclists and dont put extra obstacles in our way, its not a big ask really the dutch seem to cope building them, but in the UK there seems barely any thought that goes into them or how they link up or how you are supposed to ride them.

this bridge seems a classic example theres nothing repeating or reinforcing the message on that bridge that says hey cyclists you can actually ride on this pavement bit away from the awful traffic on the road, it just looks like a pavement

and the entry and exits look to be blink and you miss them from google maps,and if you missed them, thats it theres no other chance to get on them why isnt there at least a  10ft section of dropped kerb as you get on the bridge with a clear cycle lane indication directing you both on and off the the path safely ?

because of course even if you did use the path on the bridge what happens at the other end, well the path just stops, and then you have to get back on the road hoping for a gap big enough to cover you from a standing start, and not having to try a stage finish sprint effort to get back up to speed possibly crossing multiple lanes trying to get to where you want.

Hirsute replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
0 likes

As I said, you either end up on the roundabout with an easy exit or the traffic lights which you may have to wait for them to be red to rejoin.
If you join from the roundabout end, it is easy to take either path.

Nick T replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

Perhaps, but it's not obvious from one side of the bridge what infrastructure awaits you at the other

Hirsute replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps cyclists should adapt a better mindset where the infrastructure looks better than normal.

It seems posters, a priori know the cycle lane will be crap.

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

Personally, I don't use many cycle lanes as I find the roads to be faster and more convenient. If I see a new bit of cycle infrastructure, I'd probably go past it a couple of times eyeing it up before making a deliberate effort to try it out and then subsequent use would depend on speed and convenience.

Nick T replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
6 likes

I'm not exactly sure what point you're trying to make here, that all cyclist should assume all shared paths and cycle infrastructure are adequate because you got marginally held up on a 400 yard long bridge once?

mdavidford replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

Even when a piece of infrastructure looks reasonable when you first encounter it, it usually turns out to have been poorly thought out, poorly maintained, or poorly cleaned. You're asking people to ignore all the evidence of their experience and set themselves up for disappointment and inconvenience the vast majority of the time. That's just not going to happen.

The best way to achieve that mindset shift would be to build more high quality infrastructure.

mdavidford replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
4 likes

But how can you tell that from the point where you need to join it?

The problem is that when decent infrastructure is as rare as it is, unless you already know for sure that any given stretch isn't poorly maintained, full of gubbins, awkward to negotiate, going somewhere you didn't expect, etc., it makes sense to assume that it is and ignore it, because 98% of the time you'll be right.

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

the roundabout end looks like theres a dropped kerb,thats actually there to help pedestrians cross the road, maybe only a few bike lengths from the give way line, or you carry on around a bit further and use the next dropped kerb for pedestrians to cross the Walton Lane exit.

but is that Walton Lane crossing & pavement a shared path ? there are no signs it is till you end up opposite the petrol station.

so youll try and merge back in just ahead of the roundabout at that first pedestrain crossing point, but youd have to have come to a near stop to look back to find gap to fit into as you are effectively forcing your way back in to traffic, and need to make sure you arent going to get left hooked or swamped by vehicles if you take the A244 exit, and as its a mini roundabout and looks to have signs of a desire line across it, chances are youll drop back into traffic some BMW/Audi will just breeze past you using the extra space theres no penalty for them to use to squeeze by you on the exit

whereas how it could have been setup you take away the hatchings, move the vehicles over to the right on the exit & use the extra space to blend a protected cycle lane off the bridge much further back up the bridge and carry it through the roundabout, and put traffic light crossings in for the pedestrians.

that to me is the difference between just providing a space you can use and providing cycling infra that works and people will adopt to use in preference to staying on the road

Gary's bike channel replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
1 like

we have one in upton, poole. I tried to join it at 10 mph but in the wet and i went up the semi dropped kerb, not the completely dropped one that it should have. Got it at too shallow an angle to bump up and came off the bike, scraping my skin off. Thats a ''shared path cycle lane''. Meant to be safer for cyclists, yet you try to join it and you crash. 

HoarseMann replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

hirsute wrote:

Hmmmm Is there any cycle path that will satisfy the posters of roadcc ?

ktache replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

When they finally start to put the same level of thought and adherance to quality that they put into new by-passes, large junctions and motorways.

I'm with HP, if they are noticable and quality I might start thinking about using them if they provide me with some benifit, but it will take me a few rides past them to want to give them a go.  And if they mean constant halts, having to give way at juctions, being delayed at what are actually pedestrian crossings, changing sides of roads or even just seemingly pointless short stretches that seem like an sfterthought, then probably not.  Maybe if that stretch of road or particular junction terrified me.  But then that's the advantage.

We have been given such crap nfrastructure for so many years, we may have come to expect them.  The road generally has a better quality surface if nothing else.

The ones in Bracknell were alright as I remember, but lacked signposts and being below normal levels less abilities to locate yourself.

Same with the canals in Birmingham, wonderful way of getting about, but if you lack local knowledge you are riding blind.  With the road network it helps if you have local knowledge but there are easy ways of navigating, especially on the bigger roads.

We have seen from the objections to low traffic neighbouhoods that motorists want unhindered access to every tiny bit of the road network, they cannot stand being directed onto the larger through roads.

I love the NCN and have given to Sustrans for too long to even remember, but I'm glad I ride mountain bikes, and even some of my summer tyre chices for them are sometimes not quite enough.

On my route to and from the train station there is a section of cycle path over a bridge, no detour on the way to the station, but there might be pedestrians on it, and it throws me out at an entrance to a roundabout, for which I will have to give way, if I had stayed on the road, much less so.  But it can get me past a queue of traffic.  On the way home, to avoid the big roundabout and it's dangers, and from the angles it is, I will get off, press the beg button, cross the urban 4 lane racetrack, push the bike along a short stretch of pavement, observing motorist phone use, nice!, cross another small road and finally get on the bike on the bridge cycle route.Yes, hastle, but for me and my quick mental risk assesment, a benifit,  It is also bumpy paving slabs rather than the smooth road, could have pedestrians on it, white line seperates a pavement, and suffers from build up of ice on colder nights in the winter, it is a bridge therefore gets colder having air underneath and as if it would ever be gritted like the road is.

Nick T replied to ktache | 3 years ago
1 like

The problem with bullshit cycle provisions is the "advice" drivers feel entitled to give a cyclist who dares not use it. I'd much rather not cycle between parked cars and pavement, through the middle of bus stops and stopping for every junction because I've no way of knowing if the drivers expect to see me appear in front of them like this bit of path 

Simon E replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

hirsute wrote:

Hmmmm Is there any cycle path that will satisfy the posters of roadcc ?

Yes, it's called THE ROAD.

These are the roads that we all pay for out of our taxes, including many people who don't even drive. Roads don't belong to car drivers.

Perhaps it would be more helpful to ask yourself why on earth you were so bothered about being 'delayed' by other road users.

Do you get this way every time you're moving slowly in a queue of traffic or when the lights on a pedestrian crossing go red because an annoying pedestrian wants to cross the road? Perhaps it would be more convenient for you if they played 'chicken' or waited half an hour for the road to be clear before crossing.

Pages

Latest Comments