Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Use the Cycle Lane

At the in laws and when shopping by car (yeah, I know). Drove over walton bridge to find myself held up by cyclists !
The thing is the bridge is quite new and the shared pavement is not only very wide but also very smooth.
There seems no reason not to use it apart from 'I don't have to' which is not very compelling in this situation.
I just thought it was an interesting perspective that I rarely get.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

52 comments

Hirsute replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
0 likes

Did you actually read the OP?
You seem to respond (again) based on what you imagine I wrote rather than what I actually wrote.
You claim I was bothered yet I didn't say that.

Simon E replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Did you actually read the OP? You seem to respond (again) based on what you imagine I wrote rather than what I actually wrote. You claim I was bothered yet I didn't say that.

So what was the purpose of your posts in this thread?

People riding bicycles on the road. I don't understand why it was worth remarking on but obviously you were looking for a reaction.

jh2727 replied to Simon E | 3 years ago
4 likes

Simon E wrote:

hirsute wrote:

Hmmmm Is there any cycle path that will satisfy the posters of roadcc ?

Yes, it's called THE ROAD.

These are the roads that we all pay for out of our taxes, including many people who don't even drive. Roads don't belong to car drivers.

Basically that. Cycle lanes and shared use paths are built (in theory) for the benefit of cyclists. There is never going to be, nor should there ever be, a cycle lane or shared use path created for the benefit of motorists.

If there's a cycle path and a cyclist isn't using it, it will almost certainly be because it isn't fit for purpose or fit for that particular cyclists purpose (e.g. some shared use paths I'll use with my daughter but not on my own). This particular path has giveway lines at every junction, including at the roundabout which would be very difficult to cross safely - much safer and more convenient to ride on the road for many cyclists.

I have zero concern for delays or inconvenience that my cycling may cause to motorists. Motor vehicle journeys are responsible for a lot more congestion (and many are entirely unnecessary), and regardless, driving is a supremely convenient form of transport - no amount of cyclists or cycle lanes are likely to change that (they may slightly exacerbate the problems caused by motorists, but that is far from the same thing). Likewise, when I drive it does not bother me at all when I am being inconvenienced or delayed by a cyclist (certainly no more than traffic lights or traffic or the work necessary to maintain the road or 10,001 other things that I might experience on a journey).

Organon | 3 years ago
4 likes

I've been shouted at for not using a mixed use path... that is on the opposite side of the road, and requires me to cross traffic twice and weave around pedestrians use it often.

Here you go, northbound: https://www.strava.com/segments/4870132

Takes about 2 minutes, but dickhead wants to overtake at a traffic island.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
2 likes

If it's not signposted well, if it's hard to get on to, if you have to divert and come to a near stop to get on it and all the above for getting off...then no 'faster' cyclists or group will use it - add minutes to your journey for a 100 foot stretch of road (slight exaggeration...unless you have to wait for a space in the traffic when getting back on the road - no one will stop and give way to a mere cyclist)

m.a.t.t. | 3 years ago
3 likes

Could I ask which type of cyclists you were held up by? As a road cyclist, I tend to avoid shared pavement on the basis that riding at up to 30mph around people walking at 2 or 3mph seems wildly unsafe to me. I am actually of the opinion that there should be some kind of speed limit on shared pavements for cyclists (say somewhere around 10mph) to reduce the danger to all parties. If I was just leisurely cycling from A to B at low speed then I would definitely use them as I think that the relative speed is much more manageable and safe.

Hirsute replied to m.a.t.t. | 3 years ago
2 likes

Recreational cyclists not going very quickly.
I believe the highways recommendation is 18 mph for shared use, although I would consider that too fast (there were no pedestrians around when I was there).

m.a.t.t. replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

In that case then I would absolutely agree that the shared pavement is both a more suitable and more prudent choice. I agree on the recommendation being too high - if we compare that to a pensioner who may be walking less than 2mph then this is 10 times their speed. It is far too big a difference to be safe in any way.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

I thought it was 15mph. It is what I use as maximum if on shared. 

I've been on shared use that looks smooth but turns out isn't.  It is suprising actually how smooth they get roads compared to pavements and shared use although the latter is only noticable when riding a non-suspension bike. Of course if you have used it and it is like cycling on the road then that throws that theory out of the window. 

wycombewheeler replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
0 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

It is suprising actually how smooth they get roads compared to pavements and shared use although the latter is only noticable when riding a non-suspension bike. 

Especially true here where they have assesed the parapet wall on a flyover is being too weak, and placed a barrier to prevent motor vehicles using the left lane, and rebadged this as a cycle lane (so it looks like road space has been taken away for cyclists) the barrier was installed when the road was resurfaced, but they did not properly resurface the cycle lane, in fact it appears they put the barrier in first, then resurfaced to protect car tyres from the edge of the barrier, (even though they would already be a third of a lane outside where they should be).

and then of course there are the times you come round the left hand bend to find a car has still hit the barrier on their left (oversteer? BMW?) and shunted it into the cycle lane.

Jetmans Dad replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 3 years ago
2 likes

AlsoSomniloquism wrote:

I thought it was 15mph. It is what I use as maximum if on shared. 

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule, I think the guidance is just that you should ride on the road if you want to ride "fast". 

I have twice been asked by police officers to ride on the road as Humberside Police consider anything more than 12mph to be "fast" in the context of a shared use path. 

And said path goes mostly across an industrial estate where you are extremely unlikely to meet a pedestrian. 

Nick T | 3 years ago
3 likes

I went over the bridge the other day funnily enough, first time down that way. I didn't use the cycle path when I went west because I didn't know where it would plonk me out, usually those rinky dink little bits of shared use path often mean you have to stop and rejoin the road at the other end. Coming back east I didn't use it either and was held up by a queue of cars. If I knew the area and the roads better I might use the path, but if I don't ride somewhere often enough then I tend to stick to roads as they're more predictable

Hirsute replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
4 likes

"was held up by a queue of cars." Lol

Nick T replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

Here we go, out..

Nick T replied to Nick T | 3 years ago
1 like

And back

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
7 likes

When all is said and done, you are not responsible for the actions of others and there is no collective responsibility. Something I have to remind some of my own in-laws and relatives about when they accuse me of some misdemeanor by a completely random stranger on a pedal cycle that they may have witnessed third hand.

Even in this scenario the cyclists would have been doing nothing illegal or technically wrong. It is down to other road users to exercise tolerance and accept that all they can do is follow the rules that apply to themselves with respect to dealing with an albeit uneccessary extra hazard on their journey.

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

There's usually a reason. Does the path go where the cyclists want to go or does it end in an awkward place?

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

Traffic lights one end, small roundabout the other, no real reason I can see.
Also if you use the right hand side, it joins with a cycling route halfway along.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Awavey replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

well fine, but how do you join it ? how do you leave it ? does it shout this is a path you can use on bicycle ?

Hirsute replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
0 likes

It is signposted and easily joined from the small roundabout and from the traffic lights.

HoarseMann replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

hirsute wrote:

It is signposted and easily joined from the small roundabout and from the traffic lights.

Only easy if you know it's there.

If you are concentrating on traffic on a roundabout, it's easy to miss dropped kerbs to join cycle paths. They're usually not easy to join from the road either - being primarily designed to facilitate where a cycle path crosses the road at right angles.

There's been many a time when riding in an unfamiliar area I've thought, oh, that would have been a nice bike path. But I'd already missed the dropped kerb and not easy to stop in traffic to lug bike over kerb and verge.

Pages

Latest Comments