Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Helmets - when to replace?

When, if at all, should you replace a helmet just because it's old?  

For these purposes, let's assume:

(a) helmets in general are worthwhile (I'm not after a debate on their merits); and

(b) the helmet in question has never been crashed, dropped etc - it's just a question of its age.   

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
2 likes

When a new more stlyish/lighter/better ventilated helmet is available

quiff replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
2 likes

Or, on recent trends, when a heavier, less ventilated but more aero one is available

Awavey | 2 years ago
2 likes

I thought it was generally around 5 years, assuming at least regular use in all conditions, because UV damage to the polystyrene and plastic degrades it over time and makes it more likely to break as it becomes more brittle.

Which feels about right,my first helmet the straps went first, tried fixing them and washing them just destroyed them.

I then ran two helmets at once,one was more commute style than full on roadie style and they both lasted for longer as were sharing the load, the commute is still going,but the roadie despite never having been dropped,bashed or hit developed a crack across the middle which was just going to keep growing.

So I'm now on my 4th in about 15-20ish years, this one might last another 2-3years,but it gets used far more than any of the others I've had due to me ramping up the miles and at more risk from off road excursions, havent mastered the duck theres an overhanging bush ahead approach yet. So might not survive that long.

brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

Maybe when you can't get the smell out any more...

quiff replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
1 like

I can recommend a casquette underneath

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

There's little evidence that helmets deteriorate with age: https://helmets.org/replace.htm

There are a few caveats: the main study of "used" helmets reported in that link took a core sample of the foam to test, and (IMHO) a core sample might miss structural weaknesses that affect the helmet's performace as a whole. To give an extreme example, if you cleanly slice a helmet in half, a core sample will presumably look as good as new, even though the helmet is in two pieces!

It's hard to control for day-to-day use. Even if you've never knowingly dropped it, could it have been bashed or otherwise impacted without your knowledge?

Technology continues to improve - even if your helmet is as good as the day you bought it, might a new one be better? I would cite MIPS as a recent technology that might make helmets safer (although Helmets.org take a skeptical view of that claim...) 

Finally, if your old helmet looks tatty or smells a bit funky, that might be as good a reason as any to replace! 

Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes

https://road.cc/content/feature/when-should-you-replace-your-cycling-hel...

My last helmet lasted 7 years. The foam pads started to deteriorate, so I replaced the helmet instead of trying to find replacement pads.

quiff replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I did search road.cc for "replace helmet", but that one didn't come up... My commuting lid is in outwardly good shape, but is 2010 vintage, so figure it might be time for a change.  

andystow | 2 years ago
2 likes

Five, maybe six years for me. I found some actual research some years back (a guy had people send him old helmets and he tested them) and unless it's been treated like crap the "every three years" recommendation by the manufacturers is either a money grab or hedging against lawsuits, depending on how generous you feel.

Latest Comments