Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Element Bolt v2 or Garmin 530?

Opinion? I have a wahoo elemnt bolt v1, /i have really liked it but the screen now has lines running down it affecting the display. Had it 4 years so its served me pretty well.

now toying with the new version or trying garmin instead? 530 seems very similar price point, is it worth changing over? if anyone has experience of both id love to hear it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Shreds | 1 year ago
0 likes

Used a Garmin Edge since it was first released years ago. Accurate and well recommended. As the battery is now getting a bit jaded, its time for a new one and having researched whats available, the 530 probably will be the one. 
Let us know your choice and experiences with whichever you choose.

matthewn5 | 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm on my second Garmin, first a 500*, now a 520 Plus, which I love. It's easy to read, easy to program, syncs with add-ones, and so well integrated with the Connect app. What I like is making up a quiet route on the web or the app, syncing it with the Garmin, then riding the route with navigation mode is dead simple. It automatically sends a link to follow my ride to the other half, automatically syncs with Strava, it's great. There's a whole ecosystem of people who can fix them, too, so when I snapped off the charger port I was able to get it fixed in 2 days for £21. Of course it has its idiosyncracies but if you get used to it, they're fine.

*Sold the 500 to a young cyclist for £20 after 5 years, she's absolutely delighted with it.

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
2 likes

The short answer is you'd probably be happy with either.

The Garmin probably has slightly more "features" with things like ClimbPro. And if you have invested in other parts of the Garmin "ecosystem" (HR straps, Vector power meter, Varia radar etc.) then the Garmin might offer further benefits (although all should be able to communicate with the Wahoo too).

But for just navigating and recording rides, the Wahoo does the basics very well and arguably the simplicity is a plus over the Garmin.

My only other hesitation with the Wahoo is that there have been rumours about Wahoo's finances and future viability (including on road.cc) and if Wahoo were to fold, then obviously that has implications for warranty issues and ongoing support. That said, my Bolt v1 has been fine for years and none of the updates since I got it out of the box have materially changed its functionality. 

vthejk | 1 year ago
1 like

I have heard some (anecdotal) comments regarding the Wahoo having slightly iffy firmware and losing files etc. My Garmin 530 has been generally great and I like the Garmin Connect ecosystem for its intuitiveness, compatibility and easy file transferring. Note about prices: I buy a lot of products from CeX and the 530 in 'A' condition (i.e. near-new) is currently selling for £155 - near enough £100 less than new. 

*hint hint*

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
1 like

I've been using the Garmin 530 for a few months and have nothing bad to say about it. It's working well for me.

The only thing is the price is not great at the moment - it's been down to £160, so worth keeping an eye on it in the sales...
https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07RZ95D6L

jaymack | 1 year ago
0 likes

I know several people who've had a Garmin of some description. I ran a Bolt for years and in the time I used it those Garmin owners with whom I cycled gradualy changed over to a Wahoo. Personally I now use a Karoo 2 for the simple reason that I've now got old cyclist's eyes and just needed a bigger, better screen. It's a good piece of kit but not nearly as intuitive to use. I'd be happy to have another Bolt, I've not heard anyone I know who has or has had a Garmin say they'd be happy to purchase another one. Their views may be uncommon, they may have just been unlucky but dissapointment seems to be a common function of Garmin products.  Curiously my brother's a pilot and Garmin's aeronautical products have no such reputation no doubt because the price of failure would be higher than a bit of lost ride data.

Latest Comments