Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale vs Cube vs Giant

I am in the market looking for a new upgrade from my cube peloton. I have been cycling since long and the cube has been a faithful companion since the last 5 years. Initially I didn't want to invest in an expensive bike thinking the hobby won't last but luckily it has.
I want to upgrade to a new carbon bike now and I have been looking at a lot of options particularly in the ultegra and di2 setups
My shortlisted cycles are:
Cube agree C62 sl
Giant tcr advanced pro 1 2019
Cannondale SuperSix Evo ultegra

I have been hearing a lot about canyon bikes but I have also read alot of mixed reviews so decided to stay away from canyon although I might change my opinion if I get positive reviews from actual users.
My current range is arnd 2500 pounds and I personally am inclined towards the cube as I have a cube cycle before and the experience has been nothing but wonderful plus the components seem to better than the bikes in the same category.
I really need help as I want to be riding out soon on my new bike but the choices have put me on a stay for the time being.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Mehdi Abbas | 3 years ago
0 likes

I am slightly proning over to the giant tcr advanced pro 1. Sadly, I can't get any testers nowadays because of covid 19 thing. I have been reading up and the giant seems to be the one getting most positive reviews with the cube just being negated at most forums for shoddy after sales service. I am leaning towards a more racier geometry compared to an endurance one. Also call me biased but I only disc brakes on my mtb 😊

Chris Hayes replied to Mehdi Abbas | 3 years ago
0 likes

I don't think you'll ever be disappointed with a TCR, Mehdi. It's a classy proven bike. 

Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'd have a look at Rose. Another German brand without the shops but I've heard only good things from others about them unlike Canyon and they allow a greater level of customisation.

As they're another direct sales brand your money should go pretty far with them.

This is £40 over your budget but looks great:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-x-lite-four-disc-ultegra-2661674

Mehdi Abbas replied to Joe Totale | 3 years ago
0 likes

I suddenly have a new favourite thanks for the link

hmjb | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have ridden the Canyon Ultimate and Endurace - they are simply lovely. Best bet is to look for a demo event, or see if you can rent one....Rapha do rent them out. Very 'crisp' bikes, but will soak up the miles.

The SuperSix is also lovely - light, but very compliant ride. 

Either way - one pointer would be that disc brakes are the way forward. Carbon wheels and rim brakes are terrifying on a normal day; lethal in the wet.

simontm | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm biased as I've had my current Agree for three years but I love it. It's not an out of the blocks bolter but I've twice been accused of having an e-bike by people on 'faster' makes. Very comfortable over 100 miles and a good climber/great descender.  

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
1 like

As per Simon's email below, a mate of mine has an Orbea Orca: great looking bike and excellent customer service...which seems to be a bit of a talking point with Canyon.  

He had some paintwork issues (fading) a year after  buying the bike (I know, not a great advert) but Orbea replaced it with a custom paint job.  Again, anecdotal, but another mate of mine runs a major bike shop and he'd certainly recommend that you steer away from the Cube.... sick of customers bringing them back. 

Mehdi Abbas replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

After your comment I have been looking around at cube website and surprised to learn they offer only three years of warranty on there carbon frames. Bit of turn down rn

Chris Hayes replied to Mehdi Abbas | 3 years ago
1 like

Most frames at this price point (and much higher) are made in Taiwan / China these days.  Two of the best known and largest manufacturers are Giant and Merida. They make their own frames and frames for other manufacturers on what are know as open mould frames (i.e. non proprietary designs which they sell to other brands).  They are very dependable and have high quality control. 

Some people turn their noses up at Taiwanese bikes, but I have a soft spot for Giant, for example, who have been making high end bikes for decades and a big sponsors of pro cycling. Merida is following this pattern and after many years of making bikes for other companies now make very good bikes under their own branding. 

Generally, I wouldn't worry about quality control issues on the better known brands.  I had a Scott MTB which I broke falling off it (nudged by a taxi).  It was about 3 years old, but I took it back to Evans and within a few weeks I had a new frame.  No questions asked.  

Of course, comfort and ride are important - and a good local bike shop will advise you on this and get you a  good test ride.  

Mehdi Abbas | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bump

SimonAY replied to Mehdi Abbas | 3 years ago
0 likes

Based on what you have now and the list above I guess you're looking at something with racier geometry?

Mehdi Abbas replied to SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

I intend to get something of a mix of both hence also inclined towards the cube but I haven't read much reviews of it and based on what I have read it isn't probably the fastest bike in the list

SimonAY replied to Mehdi Abbas | 3 years ago
1 like

I dont think you'll notice a huge amount of difference in your speed with any of those. Another suggestion would be the Orbea Orca, your budget would get you one with Ultegra. I had one for a few years. They look lovely and you don't see too many around which may be a consideration for you

Latest Comments