Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Mirror (drop handlebars) Recommendations, Please.

Can you recommend a bike mirror that's suitable for a drop handlebar bike?

So far I tried Zefal Cyclop and the CatEye BM-45.
My multiple Zefal's keeps breaking due to road vibrations, and the CatEye's mirror is just too small to coverage different riding positions.

Links to the above:
https://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/105-cyclop.html
https://cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/

Ideally, I'd like something that's fully positional and that will remain in place (doesn't flop about), with a good field of view that covers riding up hills or on the flat. There are some at Amazon with a larger diameter convex lens than the CatEye, so maybe that's an option if they're sturdy enough.

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

Tom_77 | 2 years ago
1 like

I used to have a CatEye BM-45, but I found it too small to get a good view. Switched to a Zefal Dooback 2, I can see a lot more with that. On the downside it is, as the kids say, fugly.

0-0 replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I wondered about that mirror, but wasn't sure if I'd have the same issue with it breaking.
This is a photo showing the Cyclops mirror broken in two. The "crown" part of the mirror is still inside the "holder".
I contacted the manufacturer, and today they sent me four spare mirrors. Just the mirror part, not the fully assembly.

0-0 | 2 years ago
1 like

Thank you all very much for your help and advice. Sorry for not replying sooner.

ErnieC | 2 years ago
0 likes

IZefal spy mirror on 2 bikes and works well for me. Have mine mounted at the end of the drop with the mirror on the inside of the drop. I do occasionally knock it with my knee but easy to re-adjust on the move. I have tried on the outside ofĀ the bar but find that my forearmsĀ obstruct theĀ view when riding withĀ my hands on the shifters.Ā 
Ā 

https://www.zefal.com/en/mirrors/110-spy.html

HoarseMann | 2 years ago
3 likes

I have the B&M Cycle Star 60mm (photo below), which is a tad bigger than the 45mm Cateye. I set the position once and leave it there, it doesn't need tweaking mid-ride.

It is very sturdy, metal &Ā plastic construction,Ā with a glass convex lens.

It is also available in a largerĀ 80mm diameter.

dabba | 2 years ago
0 likes

I bastardized a Mirrycle MTB mirror to make mirrors for my fleet of bikes with drop bars. The arrangement has stood the test of time and been in use for ~25 years. Essentially the mirror is just a Mirrycle mirror with the handlebar plug cut off. The important bit is the 2.5mm aluminium attaching it to the brake hood. Up and down movement on the arm is minimised by the depth of the arm, and I have reduced sideways movement by putting a slight roll in the flat metal along the arm.

The wing nuts on the mirror enable it to be easily adjusted if necessary while on the road, as well as allowing the mirror to be folded out of the way when the bike is up-ended to fix a puncture, etc

Over the years, I've progressively modified this design slightly to improve on it. Below is the latest permutation.Ā 

It no longer looks quite like the original arrangement. The lug at the rear is now only used to stop the rear cable tie from slipping off, and it doesn't slip under the brake hood as the original model did. Apart from that, the arm itself is the same as before. The use of cable ties enables the mirror to be held more firmly onto the brake lever housing, thus further increasing its stability. The locking ends of the cable ties are strategically placed on the inboard part of the brake lever housing in a position that doesn't foul one's fingers. I've found this arrangement to be quite comfortable on the hands, so no further padding, etc is required, nor does anything foul the brifters in any way.

Ā 

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
1 like

I have the Bike-Eye mirror which fits on the frame on the down tube up at the steerer. I set it so the viewĀ just skims the seat and seat tube.

I've used them for about 10 years now.

The pros are that you get a stable image and you can see cars readily. This basic pro far outweighs the following list of niggles.

The cons are you need to learn the habit of using them, you look between your legs and depending on how you cycle you sort of time your view to fit with a lifted leg though these days I am not conscious of doing anything - perhaps my thin thighs are thinner than they were. Occasionally I knock the mirror if I'm scooting around - easily adjusted. Final negative is that the old design was based on traditional tubing and the mega down tubes of modern bikes don't match the fitting so well, but it works well enough (I think I used my own extra long zip ties and nots of insulating tape to protect the frame to fit them on my Giants). FInal point is that in a group, the mirror being relatively low means that you can't see around people behind, though I solve that by moving further out if I want a gander.

I've tried bar end mirrors but they are a bit more fiddly and prone to being knocked when parked.

I wouldn't ride a bike without one - I did that last year on an old mountain bike and I thought it was a scary experience. In the club I got the reputation for being the guy who actually was aware what was going on behind.

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

I've tried a couple of different ones:

Italian Road Bike Mirror: https://www.italianroadbikemirror.com/ItalianRoadBikeMirrorWorldwide.html

Sprintech: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/sprintech-racing-road-mirrors-black/

They both had a similar issue of not being easy to adjust to be in the perfect position and not retaining their position. The Italian RBM is held in place by handlebar tape, which is awkward for making adjustments - maybe someone more skiled than me would get them to work well.

I've been using the CatEye BM-45 for a few years and it's great as it holds its position well and can be adjusted whilst riding (choose a clear bit of road though). It can be tricky getting it just right for switching between tops and drops, but it works well for me.

andystow replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have the Sprintech. It would be perfect if it was rotated 90Ā°, and the ball joint were a little stiffer. I do have to adjust it a lot, but it's easy to do so.

I've been considering capturing a piece of cloth between the ball and the socket, then trimming the excess, to add some tightness and friction. Fnarr.

andystow replied to andystow | 2 years ago
0 likes

andystow wrote:

I have the Sprintech. It would be perfect if it was rotated 90Ā°, and the ball joint were a little stiffer. I do have to adjust it a lot, but it's easy to do so.

I've been considering capturing a piece of cloth between the ball and the socket, then trimming the excess, to add some tightness and friction. Fnarr.

I tried the cloth thing, but even fairly thin cloth in there was too much. However, I now have a piece of string trapped in there and it's tightened it up enough that it doesn't move around unless I bump it.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

I brought my brother one if the Italian bar end mirrors many years back, but never asked how he got on with it.

I have seen, in adverts, a mirror that installs on the down tube, where the shifters used to be, and to use it means looking through the legs, just mentioning it so that such a thing exists out there.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

I think the cateye is ok. HP and Sriracha were using it which lead me to try it.

You do have to set it up carefully and if on the tops I find I have to raise my elbow to see, but fine otherwise.

Sriracha replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

I'd second that šŸ˜‰
Once set I find the cateye great for keeping an eye on what's happening behind. But it is very small, which means the angle has to be spot on. It holds its position once set, but is a little prone to being knocked when you lean the bike against a wall. Then it takes bit of finessing to get it right again.

hawkinspeter replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sriracha wrote:

I'd second that šŸ˜‰ Once set I find the cateye great for keeping an eye on what's happening behind. But it is very small, which means the angle has to be spot on. It holds its position once set, but is a little prone to being knocked when you lean the bike against a wall. Then it takes bit of finessing to get it right again.

I try to avoid it getting knocked by positioning it on the inner side of the handlebar, but it does get moved every so often (I can clip it with my knee if I'm not careful). Takes just a few seconds to nudge it back into position usually.

Eton Rifle replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
1 like

Oooh, nice bar tape. šŸ’š

Sriracha replied to Eton Rifle | 2 years ago
0 likes

I like it too. It's what came on my Pinnacle Arkose, just about when they got taken over by Sports Direct. No clue what it is, but I am in no hurry to change it.

John Stevenson | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've been thinking recently that the utility of a mirror probably outweighs its uncool factor. Very tempted by one of these:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s192p3918/GILLES-BERTHOUD-Bar-End-MirrorĀ 

hawkinspeter replied to John Stevenson | 2 years ago
0 likes

John Stevenson wrote:

I've been thinking recently that the utility of a mirror probably outweighs its uncool factor. Very tempted by one of these:

Never seen that one before, but I'm going to stick with my CatEye.

Also on that site is https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s192p1810/BIKE-EYE-The-Bicycle-Mirror which is a non-bar-end mirror. I've tried one (on my MTB, might have been a different brand) and it didn't work well for me as you had to move your leg out of the way to get a decent view.

John Stevenson replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

That's the one Ian's just mentioned. We reviewed it here: https://road.cc/content/review/28706-bike-eye-bike-mirror

hawkinspeter replied to John Stevenson | 2 years ago
2 likes

John Stevenson wrote:

That's the one Ian's just mentioned. We reviewed it here:Ā https://road.cc/content/review/28706-bike-eye-bike-mirror

Wow - 0g weight? The one I tried was definitely made of matter, but the view behind is quite narrow and constrained by the bike frame and a leg.

Also, it looked quite ugly when fitted.

John Stevenson replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Wow - 0g weight?

Ha! That's a very old review in road.cc terms. Probably dates from before the review system forced contributors to include the weight, which led of course to our world-renowned practice of stating the weight of books.

Steve K replied to John Stevenson | 2 years ago
1 like

John Stevenson wrote:

More than four times the price of the Cateye!

John Stevenson replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
1 like

Oh yeah, it's a silly price, but it's rather lovely.

ETA: I saw a review somewhere that pointed out it was still a hell of a lot cheaper than using a Garmin Varia radar to warn you there's something coming up from behind, so there's that.

levestane replied to John Stevenson | 2 years ago
2 likes

I've used the Berthoud for a while. Great quality, unobtrusive and once it's foibles are accepted it works very well.

IanMSpencer replied to levestane | 2 years ago
1 like

I think that's the reality of any mirror - foibles. It's a question of which ones you are prepared to live with, which will differ, of course.

Steve K | 2 years ago
1 like

I've only recently converted to using a bar end mirror.Ā  Unhelpfully, I'm just going to say I'm very happy with the CatEye.

ianking replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
0 likes

Helmet mirror every time.

Ā 

Latest Comments