Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycle Clothing For Big Blokes

Are there any fellow cyclists out there, who are like me, and that is have a ... Large frame.

I am a 50 inch chest guy, and search endlessly for cycling clothing to fit, and which also do not cost a fortune. Trying to find clothes to fit is a tough find, and you have to delve all over the place to get the right attire, whether it be in shops or on the internet.

Can any other like minded big guys, or retailers let me know.

Thanks.....  41

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Prendas.Quality jersey's and fantastic service.Usually next day.

JE James Cycles | 8 years ago
0 likes

I personally struggle to find clothing in my size and as a company we decided Special Order Funkier Clothing beyond the standard 3XL up to 5XL with a 51" chest sizing in jerseys and jackets. We also have 5XL shorts and bib-shorts.

View the range:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/funkier-bp1.html

philiphoward1964 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Did any of you taller, long backed cyclists find tops that fit? I'm a 6ft 5in 120kg cyclist with relatively short 33in legs, and struggle to find tops that are long enough for my 49 inch chest. Any help appreciated. Philip

GodfreyBikewear | 9 years ago
0 likes

808 - We can do completely custom jerseys to your measurements and we won't charge you any extra over a medium size jersey. Our biggest to date is a 54" Chest!

All our kit is made in the UK as well - drop us an email on dave [at] godfrey.co.uk and I can send you over some more details.

josewales | 9 years ago
0 likes

I come back from a race in France, Many teams are sponsored by a little company based in East of France LAFITTE TEXTILE. I was surprised by the quality of clothing 100% made in France. I have bought 3 articles in the shop and the quality is very good with good price. Do you know others companies like this come from UK ?

BBB | 9 years ago
0 likes

You don't need cycling specific clothes to ride a bike. There's plenty of outdoor/hiking gear that will do the same or similar job and will probably make you look better, too.

trickydicky666 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I also have similar issues but slightly worse, i'm 140kg and 6'4" tall (ex rugby player) but i have 54" chest, 44" waiste but 52" hips and thighs (prop syndrome) i have been cycling for a few years since retiring from rugby and i've tried all sorts. for jackets i have used SPEG which are super quality at great prices but have just dropped the 54" range but they do go to 52" still. you have to grab them whilst there in stock. they are great jackets. I have used some of the chinese imports through ebay but stumbled accross MONTON cycle, there are loads of sites like MONTON BIKE MONTON-Cycle etc... Ive bought loads of gear from these guys mostly bib shorts and bib tights but also thermals as well. if you look at there site you can get an email and ask them to make them in whatever size you need, they are pretty accomodating and will not break the bank. ive got team sky replica kit, cannondale and some plain stuff too. only had 1 issue where i broke a zip and they replaced the jersey. they generally run a little big so order the size you need. AEROTECHDESIGNS is another supplier of big clothes but are slightly pricier but excellent quality, ive bought my MTB tops and shorts from these guys and they were fox branded too but mtb shorts were £50 but they fit! and tops were $60 or £40ish and are good fit and good quality. Hope this helps anyone reading.

phebeM replied to trickydicky666 | 8 years ago
0 likes
trickydicky666 wrote:

I also have similar issues but slightly worse, i'm 140kg and 6'4" tall (ex rugby player) but i have 54" chest, 44" waiste but 52" hips and thighs (prop syndrome) i have been cycling for a few years since retiring from rugby and i've tried all sorts. for jackets i have used SPEG which are super quality at great prices but have just dropped the 54" range but they do go to 52" still. you have to grab them whilst there in stock. they are great jackets. I have used some of the chinese imports through ebay but stumbled accross MONTON cycle, there are loads of sites like MONTON BIKE MONTON-Cycle etc... Ive bought loads of gear from these guys mostly bib shorts and bib tights but also thermals as well. if you look at there site you can get an email and ask them to make them in whatever size you need, they are pretty accomodating and will not break the bank. ive got team sky replica kit, cannondale and some plain stuff too. only had 1 issue where i broke a zip and they replaced the jersey. they generally run a little big so order the size you need. AEROTECHDESIGNS is another supplier of big clothes but are slightly pricier but excellent quality, ive bought my MTB tops and shorts from these guys and they were fox branded too but mtb shorts were £50 but they fit! and tops were $60 or £40ish and are good fit and good quality. Hope this helps anyone reading.

Do you know that there is only one official Monton Cycling website which is https://www.montonsports.com and they sponsored our Spanish team CKT and Triporter which could be seen at https://www.montonsports.com/montons-cycling-club. By the way, https is the secure encrypted website just like Google.

paddyirish | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks 808 and Jason Have just bought a pair of bib shorts and will try them out for sure. Trouble is when they're in the wash, I have to go back to the bad old shorts... Maybe I'll just have to ask Santa for another pair...

jason.timothy.jones | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the same/similar problem, large 50" chest, but the bottom half is not so bad, so I can get away with XL shorts, but as I have a long torso I found bib shorts are a good idea when tops are to short

Decathlon have some cheaper gear at xxl and they tend to fit ok...if you like the tight look  1

8o8 finch@m | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi paddyirish....

I am like you, tall but with a long body, and I am also like you, would only wear a shirt that I had earned (would feel a numpty wearing a yellow shirt), anyways I digress, one thing I have found, if you get good bib shorts or tights, it does not matter too much about having a long jersey, coz the front and rear bib make up the shortfall. I checked out the links above from Prendas, and the cover off good bibs, as well as having a host of jerseys up to at least 52 in.... Hope this helps...  16

paddyirish | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm biggish 46" chest but my main problem is that cycling jerseys just aren't long enough. I'm 6' 5" but have wee short legs and most of my height is in my back.

Any manufacturers out there who do longer fit jerseys? To make things trickier, I subscribe to the "don't wear a jersey you haven't earned" school of thought  1

andystorey | 10 years ago
0 likes

We (Prendas Ciclismo) have been selling bigger sized jerseys for a while now. The vast majority of our retro jerseys go from XS -> 6XL (XXXXXXL).

Here is the choice you have for jerseys in 6XL;

Short Sleeves http://www.prendas.co.uk/search.asp?searchtype=2&searchsize=6XL

Long Sleeves http://www.prendas.co.uk/search.asp?searchtype=16&searchsize=6XL

We are now starting to introduce 7XL in new jerseys and for this jersey we have an 8XL option size too.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=3359

I hope that helps.

andy

Caketsar | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm about the same size as you. Bib shorts I use Campag xxl.
Top half is a big more difficult. FLATb is relatively new & I've not tried them yet. Altura xxl fits (but on the tight side) bug is the only dedicated road cycling gear I've got that fits. Other than that I use adidas response running kit & royal mtb tops.

snowcycle | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not the right size, but a cycling magazine and the Guardian had great articles about Fat Lad at the Back based in Yorkshire. Search for it in Google and it's the first link (I posted the link but the comment's in the queue!!)

8o8 finch@m replied to snowcycle | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for this... Had a look, some great things here... Better get the credit card working.  16

snowcycle | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not the right size, but a cycling magazine and the Guardian had great articles about http://fatladattheback.com/ based in Yorkshire

8o8 finch@m replied to snowcycle | 10 years ago
0 likes

I read this with great interest, these guys seem to appreciate that not all cyclist come in a trim size... Looks like the credit card is gunna take a pounding...lol  16

Latest Comments