Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chamois cream ... Idiots guide

After over 20 years on a bike I thought I'd ask what for many is a personal question.

Am I missing something by not using chamois cream/butter etc?

I do get hot around the nuts and have had the occasion to apply creams after a ride but never used anything during it.

Do you apply the stuff to the chamois or your nuts?

And if you use a synthetic pad rather than actual natural chamois, does it effect your pad in any negative way?

Question on pads too.

There are so many pad types, chamois, synthetic, gel insert, 3d, etc etc.

What's the best for a balance of sportive comfort and a lack of chaffing?

I'm looking shorts IRO about £50 as its a budget I reckon is sensible for my use but for would you spend more for this kind of use and why? (other than style, brand, etc).

Never bought shorts based on anything but a chamois pad and good value for money so I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on something in making my purchase. I know a lot of this can be subjective and personal but any advice is worth consideration.

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

53 comments

FMOAB | 12 years ago
0 likes

I got shot down in flames here before for suggesting Savlon cream instead of one of the ridiculously priced chamois creams.

I took to using it on the recommendation of an Audax rider who is no stranger to 400k runs etc and it has stood me in good stead for runs of over 100 miles. I find that applying it reasonably generously to myself works, although, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to apply it to the chamois as well,washes out of synthetic pads no problem.

Personally, I find that it works well, is good for at least 60+ miles and you can easily carry a small tube of the stuff in a saddlebag for reapplication if you need it - and it's cheap.

Spud | 12 years ago
0 likes

Does Assos (or other chamois creams) have a shelf life once opened?

cat1commuter replied to Spud | 12 years ago
0 likes
Spud wrote:

Does Assos (or other chamois creams) have a shelf life once opened?

Says 12 months on my new tub.

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh, I know of a few non-cycling sites where you can discuss- erm, allegedly. So I'm told.

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

Only on a cycling forum can we get away with discussing our nether regions with other unknown males  24

Personally i will join with the other voices in voting for Sudocrem.

russyparkin | 12 years ago
0 likes

from a shorts point of view, i run rapha classic, shutt vr and dhb aeron race. the best ones in every aspect.. dhb by a country mile.

i use butt'r and it recomends applying it to the chamois direct which i do and i also rub a bit around the crotch/thigh area, not the nuts as its the euro cream so minty nuts doesnt do it for me  7

0 likes

@Nickobec, when you refer to the initial sensation, do you mean that minty feeling that has you hopping round a dark bedroom on a Sunday morning?!

If so, Assos is about enough for me...

nickobec replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

@Nickobec, when you refer to the initial sensation, do you mean that minty feeling that has you hopping round a dark bedroom on a Sunday morning?!

If so, Assos is about enough for me...

Similar, Assos is cooling mint, Buttr more of a warming sensation and the old sports rub smell. PBK is more subtle, far less heat, more calming canomille scent.

If Assos has that reaction with you, you could try the PBK branded creme, you probably still be hoping round the room. Buttr probably will have you jumping round the room swearing and knocking things over.

Note I use chamois creme a few days a week (42km one way commute) and generally only on my sit bone area

nickobec | 12 years ago
0 likes

Farky, I add more details to my original post, it was written rather hurriedly.

It was not piles, but an inflamed prostrate, which my Dr checked out (not something you really want to know about), had blood tests, nothing serious but it took time to clear up. Chamois creme got me back riding a couple of weeks earlier than expected.

Only apply creme to the bits I know will be sore after riding, before the ride.

Only way to know if it is for you is to try it. Chamois creme is cheap, I would probably avoid Eurostyle chamois BUTTr as it has the most intense intial sensation of the 4 brands I have used recently, (I like it, others may have different opinions) Assoss is very mild in comparison, PBK midway between the two.

Farky | 12 years ago
0 likes

Now that's a bit more like it, cheers for sharing in more detail lads.

Notfastenough...studio cream is antibacterial yes, I only ever used it afterwards for a relief and recovery as such. Just trying to reduce the number of times I end up needing it. Hence this thread as I never asked anyone before.

Blinky.....correct saddle yes, I can see that as an obvious one that most don't try too. But while your trying these saddles, you do go through a bit of pain that creams could help with. I'm never going to be doing the hours a stage race rider would do so don't need it for the same reason but until I find that magic seat anything will help.

Nickobec.....mmmm, yes I've been there, piles they call it, the curse of age. My mother told me not to sit on a cold stone wall so many times but did I listen, hell no! Bad dose of them last year that I couldn't let stop me from cycling so Sudocream it was for me too. It worked!

If the theory about these creams is that any seat pad will eventually cause some irritation against the skin, then surely a cream is an answer no matter what the seat, pad or issue.

I've heard things about the ingredients (is it still an ingredient if you don't eat it?) of some creams to put me off them a bit or at least be hesitant but it's one of those things you won't know your missing til you've tried it, but where do you start?

I think we've sussed that you apply the creams to your skin, nuts or anus, anywhere else is completely recreational. Covering the pad may get it to more places of use including places you might not go near due to assumption but then the question here is, will it do damage to certain or any particular pads, ie synth vs natural?

Rob_Ward | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have used Assos Chamois cream and it is pretty good, I feel that that Elite O3one Endurance Chamois Cream is the best stuff out there as it is very thick and lasts a long time.

Chamois cream lasts longer (you will need to use less) if applied to your butt but provides more comfort if applied to the pad itself IMO, try both and see what works best for you.

Sudocrem is for after a ride or a thin layer applied before chamois cream for added protection for a long ride!

0 likes

Interesting tip re no showers - is sudocrem antibacterial as well then?

Also loving the fact that only a few posts ago Farky was trying to resurrect this thread with a few words about not being shy, and now we have someone telling us about a painful anus!  4

cavasta replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Interesting tip re no showers - is sudocrem antibacterial as well then?

From the label on the front:
"Antiseptic healing cream. Napkin rash, Eczema, bed sores...sunburn, minor burns, surface wounds, acne, chilblains."

I apply it before my 10 mile ride into work and again when I arrive. I also apply it again before setting off for home. I then have a shower when I get in. I don't lather it on, but apply just a small amount.

Prior to using Sudocrem on my daily, shower-free commute, I suffered the occasional spot/inflammation on my perineum and immediate area. Since using using it (and I've been using it for several years now), I've been inflammation/infection free. Call it coincidence if you like, but I'm not about to stop using it to find out.

I also use it on day rides, shorter rides, and when touring and can confirm its efficacy in each and every one of those instances.

cavasta | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sudocrem for me, applied directly onto the perineum and immediate area. Great for communting (no showers at work), superb for touring, perfect for all rides that involve getting dressed up for the occassion (lyrca, etc). Don't bother using it for trips around town, to the shops, etc. I've found Sudocrem excellent for preventing spots, inflammations, chaffing, etc. I don't apply much, and have never applied it onto the chamois.

davebinks | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you ride the correct shape saddle and clean, good quality shorts in good condition, you shouldn't have any problems. Occasionally after a long ride you may experience some bruising. Sometimes you will get an infection, like a spotty pimple. In the former case, lay off for a day or so, in the latter, a disinfectant cream will quickly clear it up.
How to find the correct shape saddle? Only one way - try different shapes. It's no good asking what others use, their rear is not your rear and won't be same shape.
Some can sit on a flat saddle, but I can't and vice versa.
Once you've found the correct shape for YOU - stick with it.
Borrow a saddle and try it for a few rides. You'll soon find which shape suits you.

Oh, I nearly forgot. Do NOT wear underpants or knickers under your padded shorts or you will be rubbed and chafed by the seams on that garment - that's why the shorts have that funny pad inside them - to give a little cushioning and to avoid seams.

nickobec | 12 years ago
0 likes

Big fan of the Eurostyle chamois BUTTr, PBK branded chamois creme is my 2nd choice. Udderly Smooth 3rd and Assoss a distant 4th.

Synthetic pad in my cheap Nalini bib shorts good for 80km, don't really like natural chamois (I have a pair of bib shorts again only good up to 80km). Have better synthetic pads in Craft & Castelli bib shorts for longer rides.

Only use creme on my sit bones (the only part the gets sore), not on pads or other parts of my body.

Except when I had inflamed prostrate (side effect of weird virus), applied chamois creme liberally, just above anus and it allowed me to keep riding, instead of taking a couple weeks off the bike to recover (rest of symptoms had disappeared by then). This was discussed with and had tacit approval from my doctor.

mad_scot_rider | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm another Sudocrem fan - but only *after* the ride

Tried it once during and the sensation was "disquieting"

Mostyn | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sudocrem, works as well as anything on the market, nothing has a complete protection to chaffing . Just keep your shorts clean; and apply Sudocrem to your tender bottom.

0 likes

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's used those little gel-sized packs of chamois BUTTr (I think that was it's name). Presumably these are intended to be taken with you on a long ride and applied when you stop for a coffee with a load more miles to go.

Farky | 12 years ago
1 like

Not much sharing going on here apart from the few other interested individuals and one other.

I always thought you put the stuff on your nuts, hence, DZNuts being a cream brand. However I bought a cheap pair of Nalini shorts today that where on offer and the specifically say use a relief cream on the chamois when the chamois is dry and hard. Are they just to shy to say put it on your nuts?

After using said shorts I can agree, they would benefit from the use of a cream, very comfy synth chamois, good balance in racing and comfort profile for training and short rides and fitted well as in a decent shape when fitted so stayed in place not matter how much I moved around on the seat, but they did chaff a little.

Sudocream eh? Yes, that's been my saviour....or relief, after a long abusive ride. Trying to prevent it getting this far though.

Come on peeps, don't be embarrassed. Share your tips...sorry, wrong use of words, share your experiences, there's gotta be some big mile riders out there. Don't have me asking the Downing bro's, theyll only tell me they use the creamy head of a Boddingtons or something! Lol

zzgavin | 12 years ago
0 likes

I put cream on my sit-bones and perineum only and that seems to work well, I use the Assos one which got great reviews on wiggle
I've got shutt vr pro bib shorts, plus some (sale) rapha cross 3/4s which are very comfortable.
I've also got some dhb bib longs which are nearly as comfortable.
Buying for the pad seems to be the right approach, they do wear out I've been told. I've got an aging pair of bib shorts which are not comfortable on my road bike. Either pads have got better or the padding is squashed through use.
Washing promptly I've read helps both you and the shorts

Spud | 12 years ago
0 likes

Same here, which creams are recommended? I've only ever slapped Sudocrem on when riding long MTB routes or 24hr events. But it doesn't have much staying power. Are there any that are better than others for sensitive skin?

0 likes

Ha! Fair set of questions, and often not discussed in polite company, which makes it perfect for the internet!  4

I've been using chamois cream with a synthetic pad, and it seems to work well. After a long ride I also use a skin repair gel after showering (both products from Assos), although I'm less convinced of the benefit of this.

It is my understanding (happy to be corrected if I'm doing it wrong!) that you apply the cream to the region in contact with the saddle, so nuts, sit-bones, perineum etc.

I just got back into cycling in September, so only have 3/4's and tights, yet to buy shorts, will be interested therefore to hear any recommendations that others have.

Pages

Latest Comments