Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

emotional bond

I was selling my bike i've had for about 5 years but I felt I had to keep it because I had gone through so much with that bike I helped me win my first race, it took me over the alps and back. I had done so much with that bike I felt I made a bond with my bike
please tell me someone else has a bond with there bike or am I just crazy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

I bought a bike last year in New Zealand while I was working out there for 5 months. I got her for a fantastic price with 50% off. I did some amazing rides on her, raced 6 times and won 2. In my last 3 weeks in the country I took my camper van and toured both islands. I tried to sell my bike before I left on tour but nobody was willing to pay what I thought she was worth. Rather than reduce the price I packed her in a cardboard box and took her around New Zealand in the back of the camper, much to the annoyance of my poor girlfriend. She (the bike) slept in the back during the day then every night we carefully placed her box in the drivers cab so we could go to bed. When we finally got back to Auckland I sold the camper (hard enough... so long Bluebell) and flew my bike home with me. She's now my winter and wet weather bike (for which I actually feel quite guilty). I know at the end of the day "Kimiko" (She's Japanese) is just a bike but yeah I think it's so easy to make an emotional attachment. I think she will finally go but it'll have to be a hell of a nice bike before I replace her.

VecchioJo | 12 years ago
0 likes

not just bikes, there are some Campag Chorus brakes on my town hack that are over 20 years old, remnants of the first proper groupset i got for my first proper road bike

i really should get some new brakes because they really don't work so well any more, but, you know.......

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

If it has significance for you then it's probably worth more to you in 'emotional value' than someone else would pay for it. If that's the case you would very likely regret it once it's gone.

@trikeman - people who look down on you for your choice of bike aren't worth the time of day.

andybnk | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm the same with what is now my winter bike, a cheap old Peugeot, festina team replica with Richard Virenque decals! Frowned at by some but still love it to bits and I could never part with it! We've been through a lot together, and I'll never willingly part with it!

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have an original, one of the first, Specialized Allez's and has been around me for donkey's. I have had numerous bikes of all sorts of manufacturers, kit and prices but I could not sell the trusted Allez. Its a bit like 'triggers brush' really, but whenever I'm down (usually after deperting with another bike) I go for a ride on it and for the duration of the ride all I can think about is 'why the hell do I want to replace this Allez'?
I can safely say I am attached to it. It would never win any looks prizes and I always get looked down upon when on it - I have, and no doubt will have others but I always come back to the old gal. I tend to agree with Raleigh, why sell it???

Regards

Trikeman.  3

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Why are you selling it?

You should be framing it...

Latest Comments