Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib shorts: Raffa basic, Castelli mid or DHB top level?

Please help. I have little money and am aiming to buy my first bib shorts by mail order (will get them delivered UK and posted to Thailand as everything is fake/LQ here)..
So. Do I get Raffa Core (80quid), Castelli Velocissimo (90) or DHB Aeron Speed (80 quid) ?
Seems like they are the brands' low, mid and high level shorts...
So will I get better basic shorts from Raffa than high end DHB? Does Raffa quality match is reputation /bling? Castelli look and sound good, but Sizing problems (short chunky build) - and don't want to send them back if at all possible (maybe pushed for time anyway)...
Hm.. Edging towards the Raffa, while I can get them cheap (80 includes a 20 quid discount)... Dhb long legs and Castelli Sizing..
What do you guys think?
Riding up to 100km days in hot weather, using crap cheap chamois at the moment
Thank you

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Rapha only has 28 reviews on Trustpilot, one of those is your 1 star effort. 

Few people ever go to Trustpilot unless it's to complain, or have some incentive to go there. Rapha doesn't direct customers it to. If they did I bet they'd have a 4.x/5 rating easily, no debate there. Their fans are feverish about the kit and service. 

The delivery issues aren't anything to do with Rapha. That was the postman, who is not a Rapha employee. There was no-one at home to take the parcel so you're left to the whims of a random busy guy trying to make an on the spot decision of what to do, who may or may not have seen your message. Rapha's fault? You ordered something to an address where there was no-one to receive it. Why do consumers not understand that's not the retailer's responsibility.

This is why I hate selling my stuff on eBay, people are so immeasurably dense and entitled that it feels like a jackpot if you sell something and don't get a complaint. 

To prove my point about the mindset of consumer today, look at the OP's 3 reviews. All extreme. Either 1 star or 5 star. A mind that can either be giddy as a child or fully outraged. 

SigmaSport.co.uk

Published 27 minutes agoUpdated 24 minutes ago

wrong size recommended, trolled on instagram

Recommended to go up a size in cycling shoes, and bought some at £200. Shoes too big. Tried different insoles, couldn't return them. After one week of no reply, I pressured them into a response by pressing on social media. Sigma sports advice: sell them on ebay and buy some more at the same price I already paid! Then they trolled me on instagram! Amateur and rude

Rapha

Published 30 minutes ago

Poor quality clothing & service

Poor quality clothing (bum pain from £100 core bib shorts), delivered and left at a random address, regardless of my 'instructions to the courier', and minimal communication from rapha. Not even any style over the lack of substance

momondo.co.uk

Published 07 February 2017

Good site

I've only booked with them twice, but that's 50% of the flights i've booked with since i discovered momondo. I always cross-reference this site with the one that scans skies, and the two flights i've booked have been at least 10% cheaper.. pretty cool

MarkOne replied to tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
0 likes
unconstituted wrote:

Few people ever go to Trustpilot unless it's to complain, or have some incentive to go there. Rapha doesn't direct customers it to. If they did I bet they'd have a 4.x/5 rating easily, no debate there. Their fans are feverish about the kit and service. 

Nice one fanboy. No mention of the pad being super thin and hurting my ass after a short ride and having no communication from rapha. Not entitled to have opinions, nor expect to get value for money? How bizarre. Thanks

tritecommentbot replied to MarkOne | 6 years ago
0 likes

MarkOne wrote:
unconstituted wrote:

Nice one fanboy. No mention of the pad being super thin and hurting my ass after a short ride and having no communication from rapha. Not entitled to have opinions, nor expect to get value for money? How bizarre. Thanks

I have no comment on the Core bib pad or your ass. I was saying you were a 'best' or 'worst' mouthpiece whose opinion I personally wouldn't trust.

For comparative reviews on the product you bought see: 

928 reviews, 4.5 stars

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/core-bib-shorts/product/COB01

road.cc review, 9.5 stars

http://road.cc/content/review/184469-rapha-mens-core-bib-shorts

MarkOne replied to tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
0 likes
unconstituted]<p>
[quote=unconstituted

wrote:

For comparative reviews on the product you bought see: 

928 reviews, 4.5 stars

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/core-bib-shorts/product/COB01

road.cc review, 9.5 stars

http://road.cc/content/review/184469-rapha-mens-core-bib-shorts

Really no idea how the pad could have gotten such good reviews. I'm sure their more expensive diets have a much better version. I hope so. My review on trust pilot was for the company, no option to review the shorts on rapha. The fit was good /on size, but stitching and pad poor

MarkOne | 6 years ago
1 like

Hey guys
Firstly thanks for your help. Am update:
After much deliberation I finally went with the Raph Core bibshorts, mainly for the fit, but also the 20% discount (though that took me under free postage!)... And ok, a bit of nong factor! However, I am very much underwhelmed with the shorts - the pad is so thin i got ass pain (for the first time ever while cycling) after just 50km! Also the stitching is poor quality and there are some loose threads in the outside of the leg.
The service is also terrible: When I ordered, I got them sent to a friends family in London and noted (in 'message for the courier') that should there be nobody home, to leave them in the front porch. They didnt, instead leaving them at some random strangers house across the street. It took several days, but the elderly father finally got them and I received them over here. Communication from Rapha has been dire - one reply after is been trying to find where they had gone for five days, and nothing since. I just noticed rapha get 5.4/10 on trust pilot - I've never seen any company so low!
Also impossible, it seems, too leaves a review of the shorts on their website.
In all, I obviously won't buy from rapha again, and will look for a more performance, quality driven brand in future.... In case you were wondering if to buy them!

Simontuck | 6 years ago
1 like

I've had various half decent shorts from DHB, ProVision, Vermarc and Decathlon and not found much to complain about. Currently using Kalas PRO shorts and they have the Elastic Interface endurance pad which are slightly more expensive. Most decent shorts use Elastic Interface pads. Sizing and bike set up is also very important though, bibs won't mask a poorly positioned seat.

MarkOne replied to Simontuck | 6 years ago
0 likes
Simontuck wrote:

.....​ bibs won't mask a poorly positioned seat.

Right.. Actually I've filled my day forward to reduce /prevent some undercarriage numbness.. But I now slide forward a little. Will keep tweaking

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

I have the Rapha basic ones - they're good but no better (subtle logos apart) than these others I have...

www.decathlon.co.uk/900-cycling-bib-shorts-black-white--id_8354169.html

Road.cc agrees!

kevvjj | 6 years ago
1 like

these are brilliant

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Lusso-Pro-Gel-Bib-Shorts-SS16_65060.htm

you get £5 off too, so a real bargain. you could get two pairs of these for the cost of one of the other overpriced Italian brands...

nowasps | 6 years ago
1 like

This is where Wiggle/CRC (and maybe some others) do well. You can order and try on as many pairs as you like and return them for no cost until you find a pair that fits (at home, if not on the bike).

Probably don't provide the service internationally though...

MarkOne replied to nowasps | 6 years ago
0 likes
nowasps wrote:

This is where Wiggle/CRC (and maybe some others) do well. You can order and try on as many pairs as you like and return them for no cost until you find a pair that fits (at home, if not on the bike).

Probably don't provide the service internationally though...

That's the problem. I can't afford to keep paying import duty and pay to ship them to the UK. Would have to go via my parents too, so probably run out of time if things go as smoothly as usual

Nick T | 6 years ago
0 likes

Makes no difference where you are, you've just got to try something to see if it fits you. Same as me or anyone else does. 

MarkOne replied to Nick T | 6 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

Makes no difference where you are, you've just got to try something to see if it fits you. Same as me or anyone else does. 

nothing in shops here, just fakes online. I can't keep sending things back to the uk due to time and import duty. Getting someone to bring me something, so it's one time only. If I have to pay import duty and post I will have around 30 quid left to buy shorts... So it does make a difference where I am!

Nick T replied to MarkOne | 6 years ago
0 likes

MarkOne wrote:

now in shops here, just called online. can't keep sending things back to the uk due to time and import duty. [/quote]

ive never bought a pair of shorts in a shop myself, only ever online, and I'm in the UK - shops here don't really stock much of anything worthwhile. Buy the ones you think you like best, wear them, if they work, great, if they don't, buy others and compare, return the bad one's if possible or just take the hit on the chin. 

Nick T | 6 years ago
1 like

There's more to it that just pad quality, I've had extremely uncomfortable high end shorts that I've had to get rid of. Pad too far forward, legs that ride up etc, it all depends on your shape and riding position. asking for recommendations from others is useless. 

MarkOne replied to Nick T | 6 years ago
0 likes
Nick T wrote:

... asking for recommendations from others is useless. 

Yeah I understand that, but as I'm in Thailand I have no choice

Boombang replied to Nick T | 6 years ago
1 like
Nick T wrote:

There's more to it that just pad quality, I've had extremely uncomfortable high end shorts that I've had to get rid of. Pad too far forward, legs that ride up etc, it all depends on your shape and riding position. asking for recommendations from others is useless. 

This gent talks sense!
After trying many bib shorts I have only found one pair where the pad actually sits over my sit bones - Castelli free aero race. Pad sits way further forward than any other short I tried and comfy for 6 hours +
178cm, 78kg, 83cm inseam and medium is a snug fit but great length (was 73kg last summer, they were then perfect fit, large were long on thigh).

But that's me and my body.

MarkOne replied to Boombang | 6 years ago
0 likes
Boombang][quote=Nick T wrote:

.... Pad too far forward.. .

Actually some cheap shorts I have have a pad that's too far back.
I know every design is different.. And am now also looking at stolen goat bodyline , plus some cheaper Sportful... #kidinasweetshop

steviemarco | 6 years ago
1 like

Sportful Total Comfort/Super Total Comfort all the way. Castelli's top end pad is poor IMO can't comment on the Rapha shorts as I can't seem to get a size to fit me proper and end up sending them back. I'm 75kg and 172cm tall and a large in the Sportful fits fine. ASSOS also do a pair for £100 and they're pretty spot on too. I too was 100m runner/sprinter and have larger than the average cyclist thighs.

MarkOne replied to steviemarco | 6 years ago
0 likes
steviemarco wrote:

.... can't comment on the Rapha shorts as I can't seem to get a size to fit me proper...

Thanks I am looking at sportful too. Why didn't the Rapha fit you.. Too tight or?

fenix | 6 years ago
1 like

Avoid castelli as their quality and sizing is Awful.

DHB Aeron have been good for me - I've done lots of century rides in them with no problems. Not needed to try their expensive version.

nowasps | 6 years ago
1 like

Getting the wrong size has always been my downfall. I've had mediums so loose the legs ride up, and large so tight, the crutch pulls down. I ought to stick with the same make, but that's not foolproof.

There ought to be some sizing standards that all the manufacturers have to abide by... 

MarkOne replied to nowasps | 6 years ago
0 likes
nowasps wrote:

There ought to be some sizing standards that all the manufacturers have to abide by... 

It does seem a bit strange, when it makes some companies (ie Castelli) lose custom

Anyone seen my ... (not verified) replied to MarkOne | 6 years ago
0 likes

MarkOne wrote:
nowasps wrote:

It does seem a bit strange, when it makes some companies (ie Castelli) lose custom

Remember that its an Italian company - not saying that Italians are smaller (though the OECD suggests they are), but perhaps its more to to do with the  demography of cycling . My assumption has always been that people take up the sport at a younger age there, whereas size requirements in the UK market could be distorted by MAMILS.  In my teens at 195cm tall, I would have been medium.  Now I'm XL  1

MarkOne replied to Anyone seen my Cervelo | 6 years ago
0 likes
Anyone seen my Cervelo]<p>
[quote=nowasps

wrote:

MAMILS

?
I'm more 'Italian sized' than British.. 170cm and only 61kg when I used to smoke (73.6 today though!)
Maybe my third pair of bibs will be Castelli.. But always had thick thighs - 100m runner in my youth. Maybe they'll slim a bit if I can afford new gearing!

cdamian | 6 years ago
3 likes

I would suggest Sportful, they come from the same factory as Castelli but are usually not as expensive.

I have a mix of Sportful, Castelli and DHB shorts.

I pretty much stopped buying DHB shorts, as the pads don't tend to be that good.

My favourites are Sportful Bodyfit Pro, Sportful Norain (for when it is cold or wet) and Super Total Comfort (for very long rides).

Castelli Inferno are also nice for hot days, but they don't last very long as they rip very easy.

MarkOne replied to cdamian | 6 years ago
0 likes
cdamian wrote:

I would suggest Sportful, they come from the same factory as Castelli but are usually not as expensive.

Ok.. I'll go looking again! Thanks

Anyone seen my ... (not verified) | 6 years ago
1 like

You're making me jealous with your 30 degrees!  Blustery and cold here if you're missing blighty.  I'd go with Rapha - probably an M.   Best shorts I've used; tried Castelli, Assos, Cafe du Cyclist, Pearl Izumi, etc.  I think they only sell bib shorts, but that's what you'll need to stop them falling off when you've sweated down to 65kg! 

MarkOne replied to Anyone seen my Cervelo | 6 years ago
0 likes
Anyone seen my Cervelo wrote:

You're making me jealous with your 30 degrees!..... think they only sell bib shorts, but that's what you'll need to stop them falling off when you've sweated down to 65kg! 

Haha it might be soon.. 40 degrees midday so usually up at 5 to cycle in the mornings.. Oh how I've changed since I left Britain! I don't envy numb hands and early nights, but jealous of the routes (cycling around an island loop here!)... Ok, Rapha. I think! 20% off for flanders!

surly_by_name | 6 years ago
1 like

Switched to Castelli (free aero race bib) a couple of years ago and love them. You can usually find them on sale somehwere for c.£80. 183cm, 74kgs. I can get into small but medium is more comfortable (I don't have to stay in riding position when I dismount).

Pages

Latest Comments