Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bib shorts: Raffa basic, Castelli mid or DHB top level?

Please help. I have little money and am aiming to buy my first bib shorts by mail order (will get them delivered UK and posted to Thailand as everything is fake/LQ here)..
So. Do I get Raffa Core (80quid), Castelli Velocissimo (90) or DHB Aeron Speed (80 quid) ?
Seems like they are the brands' low, mid and high level shorts...
So will I get better basic shorts from Raffa than high end DHB? Does Raffa quality match is reputation /bling? Castelli look and sound good, but Sizing problems (short chunky build) - and don't want to send them back if at all possible (maybe pushed for time anyway)...
Hm.. Edging towards the Raffa, while I can get them cheap (80 includes a 20 quid discount)... Dhb long legs and Castelli Sizing..
What do you guys think?
Riding up to 100km days in hot weather, using crap cheap chamois at the moment
Thank you

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

MarkOne replied to surly_by_name | 7 years ago
0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:

Switched to Castelli (free aero race bib) a couple of years ago and love them. You can usually find them on sale somehwere for c.£80. 183cm, 74kgs. I can get into small but medium is more comfortable (I don't have to stay in riding position when I dismount).

Those bibs are about 100 that I've seen, but do look good .. i just need to be super sure of the size -I've just blown 200 quid after getting shop advice on shoe Sizing that was wrong. #epicfail

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
3 likes

I find Ale with the 4 hour pads my go to shorts but being a good deal bigger than you I have to get xxl.
Can't see what you're going to stain them with apart from sweat as the straps would sit underneath your jersey.
As others have said pad is the deciding factor and it took me a while to identify my favourites.

MarkOne replied to Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
1 like
Johnnyvee wrote:

Can't see what you're going to stain them with apart from sweat as the straps would sit underneath your jersey.

Yeah I sweat easily anyway - but especially when it's 30 degrees by 8am!

philhubbard | 7 years ago
1 like

Rapha Core are my personal pick at the moment, I can't comment on sizing though unfortunately it just works for me. I currently use Santini, Rapha, Castelli, Vulpine and Alpine CC bibs and the Rapha Core's are y favourite at the moment! I tried the Pro Team's but much preferred the pad and grippers of the cores.

MarkOne replied to philhubbard | 7 years ago
0 likes
philhubbard wrote:

Rapha Core are my personal pick at the moment.... I currently use Santini, Rapha, Castelli, Vulpine and Alpine CC bibs and the Rapha Core's are y favourite at the moment! I tried the Pro Team's but much preferred the pad and grippers of the cores.

Sounds good .thanks

Mystery Machine | 7 years ago
1 like

You mention "short, chunky build". Given that this is the case (particularly if your thighs are more on the sprinter side, rather than climber), I would probably discount the Castelli, and go for the Rapha.

My legs are on the short and, erm, well-built side, and I found that I have had to size up on Castelli shorts to the extent of taking XLs, at which point the legs are too long (at least for my taste). I generally take L or M in other shorts sizes (e.g. Assos). I am about 177cm and 73kg in wieght.

I presume your weight is 74kg, rather than 174 as you mention above (though if not, then chapeau for taking up cycling!).

I tried on various Rapha shorts in the recent sale - the cut varied a bit, and I didn't try the Core shorts, but I would guess that the Core shorts, like the Classics, are likely to be on the more generous side in terms of fit (I needed to go to L with the Pro Team ones). I reckon an M size would probably be good. I found the M size Classic shorts slightly too big, but I have been cycling a while and slimmed down a fair bit. I reckon they'd have been a great fit 5 years ago or so when I was still getting started.

One final tip - the version with white straps will go better with the lighter-weight jerseys you will be using in hot weather.

MarkOne replied to Mystery Machine | 7 years ago
0 likes
Mystery Machine wrote:

.... if your thighs are more on the sprinter side, rather than climber), I would probably discount the Castelli, and go for the Rapha.

My legs are on the short and, erm, well-built side, and I found that I have had to size up on Castelli shorts to the extent of taking XLs, at which point the legs are too long (at least for my taste). I generally take L or M in other shorts sizes (e.g. Assos). I am about 177cm and 73kg in wieght.

I presume your weight is 74kg, rather than 174 as you mention above (though if not, then chapeau for taking up cycling!).

One final tip - the version with white straps will go better with the lighter-weight jerseys you will be using in hot weather.

Haha.... I am big thighed, but climbing ok! I think I've made my mind up for the Rapha. Can't afford to risk shipping wrong sizes backwards and forwards, even though Wiggle and crc have some awesome deals on Castelli.
Yes 74kg..Maybe a Freudian slip on the 174, thinking of tomorrow morning !
White straps.. Hm... Maybe, but thinking they'll get stains quickly!
Thanks a lot

sergius | 7 years ago
2 likes

I'm 175cms and 65kg, as I said Castelli medium fits me perfectly.

I'm guessing you meant 74kg and not 174kg!

atlaz | 7 years ago
1 like

In Castelli, at 1m82 tall and about 80kg I have been an XL or XXL in the past so be warned about only upsizing one jump. In Rapha I'm an L.

I've never tried the Rapha core shorts but I've got 3 other pairs of Rapha bibs and they're the first pick for me every time. Can't really go wrong. 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

Rapha Core would be my pick. Medium in them will be fine. Wouldn't go large with the Rapha Core's as I'm guessing you're planning on getting fitter. The Core Rapha range is surprisingly stylish and good quality. It's pretty fitted actually. 

dampjumper | 7 years ago
1 like

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Rapha core shorts. They are the best shorts I've owned, even better than Rapha's more expensive ones. Snug and supportive, excellent pad and grippers, good sensible sizing. I find Castelli sizing way too small. I am a lady btw but I would have no reason to think the men's Rapha would be any less good than the women's. Haven't tried DHB Aeron so can't comment, but I hear good things about them.

sergius | 7 years ago
1 like

I can only speak for the lower end DHB and high end Castelli products.

For me it's been all about the pad, I had some cheapish DHB shorts and was fairly unimpressed with the pad.  I bought some mid range Castelli bibs after that which were much better, but then I got the high end ones with the Progetto pad which were a lot more comfortable yet again.

I seem to be a ringer for whomever Castelli model their "medium" sizing on, I've got a load of their kit in medium and it all fits perfectly - so I've not had sizing worries.  My current bibs of choice are Castelli Free Aero Race Bib Shorts - generally you will be able to get them for £100ish discounted.

So not a lot of help, but a couple of things to consider:

- bibs are way more comfortable than shorts IMO

- try and get the best pad you can for the money, it's the most important thing

MarkOne replied to sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

I can only speak for the lower end DHB and high end Castelli products.

I seem to be a ringer for whomever Castelli model their "medium" sizing on

Thanks for the advice.. What size are you btw? I'm 170cm but carrying about 174kg including a gut and some 'depth' I'm trying (starting) to lose! Usually an M but told to aim for L with the Italians (but some said XL or bigger!!)
Pad in all three seems to be similarly reviewed.. Hm.. I should go pricier still? I guess another tenner is possible

Pages

Latest Comments