Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Admin - a strange diversion

Was just catching up using my Android phone using Internet and somehow ended up with a notice on my screen about violating pedophilia/necrophilia/whatever laws. US wording, of course, think it said Paysafe or something like that. I've cleared my cache - that was the only thing which got rid of it.

Unfortunately, can't remember which page I was on, but had just mistakenly clicked on one of the ads (I do this all the time - it's rather annoying) for some kind of dating? Slim, pretty girl, long brown hair, wearing a nice fitting jacket?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

Apple have patched Safari on iOS for a very similar vulnerability:

http://thehackernews.com/2017/03/apple-safari-ios-ransomware.html

Simon E | 6 years ago
1 like
dottigirl replied to Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

Was it Ukash Paysafecard?

If so then it's ransomware.

http://www.enigmasoftware.com/ukashpaysafecardvirus-removal/

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-police-virus/

That's the puppy. That link doesn't say about how to take it off my Android Galaxy Ace though. I've found some other instructions, was following them but I don't have any rogue apps in my downloaded list so I'm hoping I'm OK. 

A bit alarming that it came from a link here though?

tritecommentbot | 6 years ago
2 likes

Look, you've been caught being a paedo so just deal with it and pay the fine. 

Dunno why you think other paedos should have to pay but you don't??

enlightened

Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes

Aren't browser ads appropriate to your search history?

dottigirl replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
3 likes

Leviathan wrote:

Good point. This is my phone though, and I've never used it to search for dating sites. I only use it for here, a Welsh rugby forum, and other, bike-related stuff. I have a specific browser on my laptop for anything iffy writing-related research. 

VonPinkhoffen replied to dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Leviathan wrote:

Good point. This is my phone though, and I've never used it to search for dating sites. I only use it for here, a Welsh rugby forum, and other, bike-related stuff. I have a specific browser on my laptop for anything iffy writing-related research. 

Cross device (including different browsers on the same machine) targeting has been available to larger advertisers for some years now. The effectiveness of the tech is debatable, but the tech is improving and Google/Facebook are leaders in the field, and also now allowing smaller advertisers to use the tech. 

However in this case it was probably an untargeted campaign, given the subject matter. Dating & gambling campaigns nearly always buy cheapest possible inventory and just optimise to their KPI.

DoctorFish | 6 years ago
0 likes

Same issue the other day, wondered what the heck was going on.

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
1 like

Slim, pretty girl, long brown hair, wearing a nice fitting jacket?...

dead?

dottigirl replied to beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
1 like

beezus fufoon wrote:

Slim, pretty girl, long brown hair, wearing a nice fitting jacket?...

dead?

Not obviously, unless it was one hell of a makeup job.

Latest Comments