Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

MTB shifter with road front derailleur

Hi

My road bike was originally a flat bar model, with full tiagra 4600 2x10 (50/34t) and tiagra sl-4600 trigger shifters.

I converted to drop bar and (foolishly) sold the trigger shifters.

I've now acquired a new road bike and am converting the tiagra bike back to flat bar for commuting / light trail/ family cycles (fitting 32mm tyres). I've picked up a r780 10 speed trigger shifter but still need something for the front mech.

In terms of eBay, there are a proliferation of shimano mtb 2 speed trigger shifters available, with prices much cheaper than buying a road specific trigger. I've searched the net for info re shimano mtb shifter/ road front mech compatibility and views are mixed.

Does anyone know definitively, or have experience of, compatibility between shimano mtb trigger shifter and tiagra road compact front mech?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Here's another great read on this topic, if you have the time and patience.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-...

McStumpy | 7 years ago
1 like

From the performance bike blog-

As far as compatibility, Shimano’s Dyna-Sys products are only compatible with components in the Dyna-Sys lineup, from XTR to SLX. They are not compatible with any other parts, such as using a Dyna-Sys derailleur with 9-speed shifters. The only part that has not changed is the front/left shifter. It has remained the same and does not include a Dyna-Sys logo.

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd give it a go, maybe just with an old cable first see if it works as SLX is dyna sys, though I'm not sure if that only applies to the rear.

McStumpy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, singlespeed, I saw your reply after I posted above

McStumpy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I do have this already I could take off another bike, but I'm guessing not suitable?

Shimano SLX – 3 Speed – Left hand – MTB Gear Shifter – (SKU: SH299)

(It has a switch to toggle between 2 and 3 speed)

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

Most mountain bikers would probably pay you to take their LH shifters!

I have a many XTR and XT shifters just lying around...I'm not sure where it starts but they have a handy little switch underneath so you can set them to 2 or 3 speed without the need to faff about with pushing the limits of the limit screws  1

Novel uses for a front Mech...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Virs2TSS6zc

McStumpy | 7 years ago
1 like

Good info, thanks a lot for that

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
1 like

Mixing and matching components like this is par for the course with folding bikes, which is where I came from before moving to road and cross stuff. Unlike with rear derailleurs, front derailleurs are a little less finicky. I've seen people use MTB trigger shifters with road derailleurs and they say they work well.

Your best bet is to use anything that isn't marked Dyna-Sys - so that means 9-speed and below. Dyna-Sys is where the cable pull incompatibility begins between MTB and road shifters and mechs. The highest-tier non-Dyna-Sys stuff Shimano makes is from the Alivio M4000 9-speed groupset. You can make use of the triple left shifter for your road double, just play around with the limit screws so that one of the three extreme gear positions is restricted.

Latest Comments