Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

French Sportive (Tro Bro Leon) & Medical

Planning on entering a Sportive or two when I'm in France later in the year.
Was wondering what speeds I'd be expected to keep up with the back of the ride and what are the requirements of the medical certificate?
Has any one done the Tro Bro Leon one before? If so, any tips would be appreciated please.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

rowes | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm expecting that, the amount may make the ride not worth it.  He wanted £30 to write a 2 line note last year to my holiday Insurance company as to why I couldn't go away.  

Though I was more annoyed at the insurance company not accepting a sick note that stated I had broke my hip 3 days before the ferry and was signed off for 6 weeks.

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

You're GP will likely ask for some payment for doing this- they aren't paid to do this sort of stuff and are plenty busy enough.

rowes | 7 years ago
1 like

Much appreciated TheLonelyOne, thank you.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

The medical certificate generally needs to say that there are no contra-indications for riding a bike "in competition" - key phrase.

Here's the French template, from mine from last year:

Quote:

Je soussigné, Docteur <DOCTOR NAME>, certifie, après examen, que <YOUR NAME>, né(e) le <YOUR DOB>, ne présente ce jour aucun signe clinique évident, contre-indiquant la pratique de vélo en compétition.

Put on a sheet of your surgery's headed paper, dated with the date of examination and signed by your doc, and that should be fine.

Alternatively, the Etape du Tour site has a template document available. It has a space for the surgery's rubber stamp - a symbol of French officialdom if ever there was. If the template is good enough for L'Etape, it should be fine everywhere else.

Certificates need to be less than 12 months old, though I think that's now changing to 36 months, so hang onto it when you get back. Some events have taken the sheet of paper off me, rather than tick a box on a registration sheet, so take a copy as well.

As for speeds, I hadn't heard of Tro Bro Leon, so I just checked the website., then got confused for a bit as I learned its a UCI 1.1 "Elite Men" event and you're asking about minimum speeds.... then found the "rando" event, which I'm guessing is what you're looking at...

Whilst sportives in France can be actual races with motos at the sharp end, I've found they are your usual mix of (very) talented locals, club riders and fun day-out social riders. There's usually a broom wagon which starts half an hour behind, and proceeds at a set average speed and which will sweep you up if you want. You might be able to find the results list of previous years' events to give you an indication of time allowed.

Enjoy!

Latest Comments