Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Prescription Sunglasses

Does anyone use cycling specific sunglasses? Pros and cons to different types etc.

As lens get progressively thicker as they get bigger I think I'll want something with an insert of some sort but am worried this will place the sunglass part too far from my face. Be interested to hear your experiences.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

therevokid | 7 years ago
0 likes

been using rudy project rydon for several years now with insert.

as my prescription changes i just get the insert reglazed by my optician. 

up to +4.25 with +1.75 near adjust and no issues when in use  1

notfastenough | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bolle prescription eyewear. I've got two pairs of Bounty frames- they are more curved than you would expect to be able to accommodate -8.00 prescription, work really well. Thick end of £300 though.

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have prescription Oakley Racing Jackets with Transitions lenses. They are undoubtedly one of the best bits of equipment I've ever bought in terms of improving comfort. Contact lenses used to dry out or blow out on fast descents. The frames cost me £40 and the reglazing was done by an online optician (Ciliary Blue) for about the same price IIRC. I can't recommend that particular outfit however - they had to have two goes at glazing the Oakleys and bent my regular specs - so I would use a local independent optician next time.

Nat Jas Moe | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use safety glasses which are "bifocals"  I source mine from  http://www.straightlines.com/BiFocalSafetySite/bifocal-safety-glasses 

Don't know if these would these would be helpful but I find them great for my needs I can read my Garmin and look down the road / over my shoulder with no worries.

700c | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use inserts in cycling specific glasses and they're cheap but not great - as you look over your shoulder you see the edge of the insert.

Other, larger / frameless insert designs may be available and might be better.

MandaiMetric | 7 years ago
0 likes

I just bought a pair of Oakley Latch frames with high index (1.67) RX lenses from my optician (not Oakley lenses). I chose transistions lenses (with scratch resistant coating), since I cycle in the dark (to avoid worst of heat here in Singapore). I have a very strong RX (+7 power), so I can't choose the highly curved frames common in the peleton. High index lenses are pretty thin and light, even with my RX. I don't need bi/vari focals quite yet.  I've only worn them on a couple of rides, but I'm happy with them so far - I can see where I'm going and read my Garmin in the dark or sunlight, no eyestrain.

I looked at optical insert style, which would work with curved/wraparound style. I believe Rudy Project have that kind of option on some styles. I didn't like the idea of just one part of the lens being "in focus". Plus because my rides mostly start pre-dawn, I'd have to swap from regular glasses once the sun comes up.

I've tried contact lenses in the past, and I'm not really a fan. I couldn't get used to them in my eye, felt like constantly trying to blink away a bit of grit. It was only when I took them out at the end of the day, I realised how tense I was.

I looked into lasik some years ago, but my RX is so strong, the surgeon said he could only take me from +7/8 to +1.5/2, so I'd still need glasses. No way I'm undergoing eye surgery and still wear glasses. Even though a +1.5/2 prescription is much easier to live with  2

Hope this helps.

Latest Comments