Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is it worth upgrading mechanical/non-disc frame & forks?

I've a 2009 Orbea Onix. All that is original is the frame and forks. The forks need replacing and the frame is starting to show its age. I cannot afford a new bike with electronic group and hydraulic discs.
My original plan was to upgrade the Onix over time but technology has leapt forward and now I'm questioning myself. Is there life in a mechanical/non-disc bike?
I can replace the fork (£150ish) and try and get through another couple of years then maybe get a new bike in the knowledge the frame may not last. Or, stick with my original plan and spend £1000-£1500ish on a new frame and forks??
Thoughts and advice appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Shep73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Upgrade the frame and forks, you will get a decent frameset for the budget you have. it might be worth seeing if the direct sales brands have framesets only for sale, the other option is wait until oct/nov and get a better deal on current stock when the new 2016 bikes come out. Also gives you time to get the money together for extras. I saved £500 on my mtb when I bought it in November.

Latest Comments