Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Decking is evil

Dammit. Cake stop on this morning's club run. Rolled up to the cafe - ready for cake after a cold and stupidly windy 30 miles or so. Nice looking stop as well. Cute little tea room near a nature reserve. Attractive decking outside.

With hindsight, I'd have realised that the gaps between the boards were pretty much exactly the same width as a bike wheel. Cue my front wheel dropping into the gap, me toppling off, and my wheel doing a good impression of a metallic taco.

Luckily the ride leader only lives seven or so miles from the stop, so he led the rest of the ride back in that direction, pointed them back to town, and then drove back to pick me and the bike up. Very grateful for that - saved me having to stump up for a cab home. Was half tempted to try an emergency fix, but I thought that drinking coffee while I waited for my lift home was way better than riding back in gale force wind with a tacoed wheel and the front quick release open on the brakes...

The ride leader felt terrible that his choice of stop had led to my trashed front wheel. Wanted to pay for the repair. I thought that was totally nuts. Very generous, and much appreciated, but totally nuts - in my book, it was entirely my own fault. Just one of those things.

I reckon I can get away with just buying a new rim and rebuilding the wheel. Big decision is whether to try to do it myself...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Redvee | 9 years ago
0 likes

New rim and spokes most likely. Lacing the wheel can be hard for a first timer though there are plenty of websites offering help on the matter. If you have a go at truing it up after and make a mess of it, loosen the spokes and let your LBS finish it for you.

Latest Comments