Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear light - Please help me choose

Hi,

With the light fading and the weather starting to turn, I have realised that it is time to upgrade my rear lights.

I currently commute daily for 11. 5 miles on unlit, country roads. Most of the way, the speed limit is 50mph (well, that's what the signs say...) and the roads feed the M40, so are busy but free-flowing with other commuters. As such, I think I need to be taking more precautions to make sure I'm seen.

At the moment I use a couple of cheap rear lights - which do the job - but I think it's time for me to upgrade. I'm just unsure on what to get.

Here are my criteria;

1. Money - I am happy to spend a bit of money to get the right light(s)

2. Waterproof/resistant - I don't have mudguards or plan to stop cycling through the winter so I want the light to be tough enough to take everything the weather can throw at it

3. Fastenings - I guess this is a similar point to above but I have read some reviews about bad fastenings and I don't want to worry about my light falling off

4. Bright - Last, but not least, I want to get something bright enough so that I am clearly seen from a long way off, especially in bad weather when a sleepy driver is approaching

So far I have been looking at three models: Exposure TraceR, Cateye Rapid X and Knog Blinder. They all look good but also seem to have varying issues around fastenings, charging, brightness, etc.

Which would you recommend? Should I be considering something else?

Thanks for you help (and reading to the end of this!)

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

60136 Alcazar | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a couple of USB rechargeable Smart R2s. Got them while they were half-price at Start Cycles in Newcastle (£14.99) - had my battery operated R2 pinched off my bike on a train from Carlisle in August. Rechargeable lights are just as bright with an extra pulsating mode.

matthewn5 | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Smart Lunar R1 rear light. I use it in daytime in the steady bright mode, and drivers see you from a long way off. The main light is far too bright for group rides or commuting so best for out-of-town forays or daylight. Also has a low mode that you can use for around town. About £12.50 at well known online stores.

Around town I use a Cateye TL-LD600. I see a lot of these, it's bright, sits vertically behind the seatpost, and is visible from the sides too. I charge the batteries about once a year. About £13.50 online.

Both have been used in all weathers for some years without problems.

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and just picking up a point in the OP, my Lezyne has seen me through plenty of very wet commutes/rides without issue.

parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'll +1 the Lezyne Micro Drive. After some time using just cheap rear lights, I saw sense in getting a decent one and went for that. I would've possibly preferred the Cateye Volt 50 (purely to match my front light and be able to swap batteries) but the underseat mounting bracket meant I wouldn't be able to carry a seat pack as well.

The Lezyne is decent. Like most of their products, it's well engineered and feels good quality. I had a slight issue in that the silicone mounting bracket wouldn't secure quite tight enough on the seatpost to prevent it from slipping round as I cycled, but it's been mostly cured by adding a rubber insert between the bracket and the post. I still need to keep an eye on it though.

The light itself performs very well, such that a single light does me for commuting. Standard output is 30 lumens on a variety of constant and flashing/pulsing modes, with a couple of 70 lumen modes intended for daytime riding only. They are proper retina burning stuff, probably too bright for use in an urban setting, but handy if you're on faster, unlit roads where your visibility is key.

I use mine for a total of maybe 30 minutes daily (short commute!) and charge them no more frequently than once a fortnight. USB charging too, the light handily plugs directly into a USB port, so no messing about with separate leads, couldn't be simpler. I paid £40 in the LBS for mine at the end of last year (I had a gift voucher), but you can get one for more like £30 from all the usual online suspects.

KiwiMike replied to parksey | 9 years ago
0 likes
parksey wrote:

Lezyne Micro Drive... I had a slight issue in that the silicone mounting bracket wouldn't secure quite tight enough on the seatpost to prevent it from slipping round as I cycled, but it's been mostly cured by adding a rubber insert between the bracket and the post. I still need to keep an eye on it though.

I'd guess you've attached it wrong - I did at first. The wee rubber tab sticking out of one end is supposed to go between mount and bike to stop exactly this.

Anyway, HUGE +1 for the Micro Drive. Having used a pile of lights this one is hands-down the best out there if you want:

USB cable-free charging
'Stupid-bright' daylight/dappled shade
Usable night-time/chain gang modes - the pulse one is very good
Small
Light
Easily removed.

Genius.

parksey replied to KiwiMike | 9 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:

I'd guess you've attached it wrong - I did at first. The wee rubber tab sticking out of one end is supposed to go between mount and bike to stop exactly this.

Interesting... That little rubber tab with the Lezyne logo printed on it definitely sits between the seatpost and the back of the mount, but I still get a bit of play. I re-fixed it (without the additional rubber insert) to be doubly-sure before heading out this morning but still no joy, after mere minutes of riding the light was already starting to work its way around the seatpost.

My seatpost isn't particularly narrow and is a normal round shape, but typically, in trying to pull it one tighter this morning, I then snapped the outermost band, so looks like a new strap is on the cards now anyway. Still a good light, mind!

Sidi 700c | 9 years ago
0 likes

Stay away from Moon products. In particular the Moon Comet.

Not only does water get in there way too easy but the actual "under the seat" mount is designed in such a fashion that the ONLY way the light unclips, is by forcing the light straight down. Meaning you hit any pothole and the light just drops straight down out of the mount and you lose it if you do not hear it.

I bought one and the battery refused to charge after about 15-20 hours of use. So i got a replacement from the shop and the second one did the same thing.

During use the on/off button would sometimes get stuck in the on position and refuse to go to off. The only way to get it to stop being on is to loosen the allen screws to back off the pressure on the rubber grommet used to cover the on/off button.

Terrible product

Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Blackburn rear light that has lasted well, although I really like Fibreflares at the moment.

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Smart R2 here. Great light.

panyagua | 9 years ago
0 likes

The other advantage of the Smart lights (apart from being reliable, bright and inexpensive) is that they have a clip that enables them to be mounted on bag loops etc, and they also come with a seatstay mounting bracket. Too many rear lights seem to be 'seatpost only' - no use if you use a saddle bag or large wedge pack.

rich_hendo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone. There's so much great information to take in here.

So it seems that the price tag doesn't represent the best light (as it the case with so many things - especially in cycling). I like the sound of the Smart lights, probably worth getting one of these whatever.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes
fullers1979 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Simple! Get an Exposure TraceR......it's a brilliant light!

BBB | 9 years ago
0 likes

Pair of RSP Astrums or a Moon Shield.
Both way brighter/visible than most of expensive lights.

willythepimp | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have lezyne micro drives as my 'be seen' lights. 70 lumens on the back, 200 ish on the front which is enough light to get you home on unlit roads. Usb recharge and as waterproof as I have needed in the rain. I had a smart r2 and although it is flashier, the light that it produces comes nowhere near the microdrive. Nowhere near. Even on the dimmer steady mode it casts a red glow onto the road behind you and lights up all of the street signs. A coleague folowed me into work the other night and said that he had seen my light from half a mile back. He blinked a bit and said that he could still see it!

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

When working the exposure flare is a great rear light, small unobtrusive on the bike, however I have had to send it back maybe 4/5 times over 2 years! And they still fix it free of charge so they must have had a bad job lot? But I have heard good things about the latest incarnation.

Lezyne zecto drive... Great light, recharge at work on the laptop.

arfa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lezyne zecto drive plus fibre flare for me, both strobing.
If you can find a quieter route, I'd go for that as the changing from daylight to darkness is a notorious time for driver complacency.

climber | 9 years ago
0 likes

I can vouch for the Cateye 1100, bright and several options for flashing etc. Only downside (for me) is the batteries - it's not a USB jobbie.

The other I have is the Moon Shield 60 http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=11
Really bright and small, for me it's noticeable, even in the day, that cars give me a wider berth. And it's USB chargeable. For me its the best. Seems to be pretty weather resistant as well. I haven't used the Cateye 1100 since getting the Moon Shield.
The other I've looked at is the Knog Blinder R http://euro.knog.com.au/cycling/lights/blinders/blinder-road-r.html

My opinion for night riding is a steady noticeable light and no flasher, and for daylight a good flasher. For me the Moon fits the bill for both.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the catseye ld1100. It's is very good from rear and side . The battery life is great with 50hrs+ from two AA batteries. Multiple flash settings.

joemmo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Smart R2 are good and I also like the Cateye 610 although as Simon says, the bracket is a bit poor.

Not a rear light but I really rate the Cateye orbit spoke lights, they are really visible even from slight angles in front or behind.

BrokenBootneck | 9 years ago
0 likes

Fiber Flares are great but get the usb rechargeable ones as the points corrode on the battery operated ones.

Sevenfold | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cateye LD1100 - around £25.00+ at the usual suspects. 10 LEDs in two separately controllable strips. Very bright, fair choice of mounting brackets - recommended.

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD1100/

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have found the Cateye LD600 to be more than bright enough on the seat post. In the darkest months the 2 x AAA batteries last nearly two weeks before recharging and I carry a spare pair for peace of mind. Discard the crappy flex-bracket and get the appropriate seat clamp (£2.50, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-light-clamp/).

For busy unlit roads maybe consider a unit with pulse mode or an additional light set to flash.

Reflectives are good. My son's bike is fitted with scotchlite spoke reflectors from Aldi and they certainly work. These ebay ones arethe same, Halfords and others sell them too.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Exposure blaze MK1

MaxP | 9 years ago
0 likes
MaxP | 9 years ago
0 likes
jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yep, those are good. You need at least 2x lights rearwards and 2x lights forward...

Reflective tape is also your friend... or should be soon!

Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes

2 of these and a pack of rechargable AAA batteries. Go no further, place your order now.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/smart-1-watt-rear-led-light/rp-prod12...

MuddyGoose replied to Welsh boy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:

2 of these and a pack of rechargable AAA batteries. Go no further, place your order now.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/smart-1-watt-rear-led-light/rp-prod12...

I have the Smart R2 myself. The same thing just brighter and a few more pennies - http://amzn.to/1pHPeZI - still great value though.

I've used mine through several winters, just remember to wipe the dirt off every now and again. Also I put the cover back on 'upside down' after installing the batteries; this way the switch is on the top side rather than the bottom in direct spray from your rear wheel. It's symmetrical so it fits either way.

Latest Comments