Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Strange marks on Carbon Frame Canon Ultimate CF 8.0 2014

Hello !

I've just received the new bike I've ordered weeks ago at Canyon.
Out of the box, the top tube is presenting strange marks like the painting was too thin to hide the below carbon layouts.

After sending the pictures to Canyon, they said it was "normal" but I found it strange since I haven't noticed such marks on some Specialized ou Cannondale bikes I have seen in shops. Even with black mate painting.

I have 30 days to return the bike but before I do that, I'd like to know your opinion about these marks ? And if you have ever received a bike in such a state ? Would you recommend to send the bike back ?

I've attached some pictures.

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

CriD is correct; I spoke to Canyon engineers about it.

koontz | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but am glad I found this thread just recieved a canyon endurace 7.0 sl cf and have some blemishes on the top of the fork, there not scratches and you can only see them if the light is shining on them at a certain angle, i chatted to canyon and they asked me to send them pictures of it, but if it is as you describe a 'feature' of carbon then fair enough, funny thing is I cant see any other marks on the top of the frame or anywere else just the 'top' of the fork.

lukas1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

thanks guys for warm reply,  I have possibilty to return 30 days, but if mostly all blak matt has this issue, only diffrent color is an option or be very lucky to get black mat completly without those ''marks''

fukawitribe replied to lukas1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

lukas1 wrote:

thanks guys for warm reply,  I have possibilty to return 30 days, but if mostly all blak matt has this issue, only diffrent color is an option or be very lucky to get black mat completly without those ''marks''

Is it problem ?

lukas1 replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

lukas1 wrote:

Is it problem ?

?

fukawitribe replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

lukas1 wrote:

Is it problem ?

Are the marks a real problem - now you know it's not a structural issue.

CriD replied to lukas1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

lukas1 wrote:

I received my Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 bearing the same marks not only on top tube but also on the fork and everywhere on the frame where the Canyon logo stickers are applied.

Apparently  Canyon does not apply painting on the black version since the carbon material is black and wish to save some hundred grams while reducing costs with painting. This fact became more obvious on the zone where seatpost enters into the frame . There it is visible the carbon texture

So, I feel these imperfections come from the difference between the carbon layer and the layers of the stickers which are not enough wide to stay one above other and to cover the entire top tube  zone

Wrote to the Canyon before finding this topic but I am pretty sure  the answer would be the same

Hope it helps!   

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi lukas1, My Scott addict, collected 4 days ago looks very similar to your pics, in fact I started a thread on this. The explanation from Scott is that on Matt frames they like to show off the quality of their carbon layup. Their matt black bikes are sprayed from the sides only, with surfaces facing up or down only receving overspray. The result is that the bits you see as a rider - top of the top tube and down tube are bare carbon, with the seam visible. Also, as these bits are subject to overspray only, each bike is different. I gather from responses that matt frames from many manufacturers are the same, and if you really want an even finish, yo need to go for a colour, or gloss finish.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Completely normal for unidirectional carbon. Same on my Canyon AL carbon forks, and every other carbon bike that isn't covered by paint or a decorative layer of carbon weave.

keef66 | 7 years ago
0 likes

My Scott CR1-SL is similarly less than perfect visually.  I just always thought that's a small price to pay for a frameset that weighs less than the box it came in...

lukas1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi Guys sorry for refreshing topi but friday just recieved my Canyon Ultimate 9.0 and top tube look slike Yours too

and canyon explanation

https://www.canyon.com/en/service/supportcenter/article.html?supportcent...

tomd | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the same bike, with similar marks. I hadn't really noticed them before your post prompted me to check. I think you're making the right decision to keep it. It's a beautiful bike!

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

I don't think Canyon can be accused of over elaborate frame decoration. I guess that's an area they save money; more Bauhaus than Art Deco

OlivierV | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi guys !

Thanks to your replies, i've decided to keep the bike.

You've been of great help in my décision.

Cheers !

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the frame is just lacquered rather than painted black, or even sometimes a thin matt paint finish, then you will see the surface joins and weave in the carbon cloth, plus sometimes marks from the mould release agent.

I have had such marks on a Trek Fuel Ex carbon, On-one 456 and HongFu FM66 which were all matt / raw finishes and its not a defect - that's what carbon fibre looks like unless they put a cosmetic layer of carbon on top.

A gloss paint finish like on my KTM, doesn't show the carbon beneath or any of the joins.

You could return the bike for another, but with that sort of finish would likely get one similar or possibly worse.

Ignore the white scuffs on my Trek here, and you can see a dark line along the length of the top tube, like on yours:

//lh4.googleusercontent.com/-XdcDzHkrxbI/SyYkZ-B4t7I/AAAAAAAAAv4/_dihA4HuZvc/w664-h498-no/Picture%2B005c.jpg)

Also, a few marks on the FM066 (just visible along the edges of the downtube):
//lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rFSJWW2elF4/VClEjlV4LCI/AAAAAAAABTc/cpPt5I3mWf0/w664-h498-no/DSC01830.JPG)

glynr36 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have 3 mates who ride Canyon ultimates, 2 have similar marks and one doesn't.
Just a by product of the manufacturing process.

Dutch25 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a CF SL 9.0 and I'm afraid mine hasn't got any of those marks with essentially the same paint job (grey instead of the yellow). I know that is of no comfort to you but it's just to show it's not on all Canyon's bikes. That said I don't mind the lines as I quite like the layered carbon look. I can't think its a carbon default. I suppose it's down to personal preference.

Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes

Here you go. Pretty sure this is quite common place on frames made as a clamshell, where two symmetrical monocoques are bonded together.

OlivierV | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hi Leeroy,

Would you be OK to post a photo of your Pinarello frame where those marks appear ?

Thanks.

Leeroy_Silk | 9 years ago
0 likes

They look to me like the join lines you'll find on some Carbon frames. It's not a paint issue as the paint will only follow the contours of the substrate, which in your case is the join between the carbon layers. It's not pleasant to look at but rest assured it's not a defect in the frame. I have the same seam in some areas on my Pinarello, annoying but normal.

OlivierV | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's probably a mix of paint and varnish at the same time as "the infamous grouse" said before in the thread.

And yes, it's probably a pure cosmetic issue but hell, it's just above the top tube so I can't imagine riding my bike and constantly focus on this inperfection.

When asked, Canyon replied :
"Those marks are perfectly normal on a carbon frame. They are coming from the contact between the painting/varnish and the carbon. It is perfectly safe to ride the bike".

When asked if the marks could be less visible after using the bike, they said :
"No, those marks won't fade through time. It is a fact than we cannot manage. The marks are more or less visible depending the bike. They can not be compared but they will eventually be visible on every bike on the top tube".

That's actually what bothers me the most... Cause I haven't noticed such marks on every other bikes I have seen in different shops and on different brands of bikes.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is it painted, or is it lacquered uni-directional carbon?

To me it looks like the edges of/imperfections within the carbon as it was laid.

Purely cosmetic, but I can understand why you'd not like it.

If you are unhappy send it back and get another one.

the infamous grouse | 9 years ago
0 likes

looks like a poor paint job. possibly too much solvent/thinners used in the spray mix hence the weave visibility and what looks like runs on the top tube and seatstays.

Scrufftie | 9 years ago
0 likes

It doesn't look right to me

stuartpage | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look right to me.

A paint job should be even.

It looks like either the frame was in 2 parts and has been stuck together (unlikely), the CF mould for the tube(s) has a defect that has created the "groove" in the tube that the paint job shouldn't and won't fill, or just it's a shoddy paint job.

Exercise the right to return and go to your LBS

Latest Comments