Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Slick tyres for Bianchi Zurigo CX bike

103 New Here, but read many an article/forum thread previously.

I'm waiting for the above to arrive next week, and in the meantime wanted to get some slicks ready for the road.

The spec says the wheelset is Bianchi's own SR300 alloy 30mm.

First, (silly?) question - I assume I cannot put a 28mm tyre on a 30mm RIM?

Second, any recommendations for a good slick tyre for use through winter on the roads (country roads)?

Ta!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

bamilton wackad... | 9 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Schwalbe Durano. I put some on my commuter the other day and what a difference it's made to the ride quality. They roll so nicely compared to the Conti gatorskins I have on my other bike. Whether they make a difference in terms of protection, we'll see - but I'd be happy to stick with them on any future bikes.

Simon E | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for at least 28mm - Schwalbe Durano, Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase or Vittoria Rubino Pro III.

Conti GP 4 Season are very popular but not cheap. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme also not cheap, though they are more robust and would last a lot longer. 32mm or wider will give nicer ride.

joelsyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think you're right. I've found out the wheels are hand built by Maddux in Taiwan. Sr300 model and on other bike specs they're used on I can see 28mm tyres being fitted. My misunderstanding!

jollygoodvelo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'd be willing to bet that the 30mm in that specification refers to the depth of the rim, not its internal width. You need to find the width - look for a very small number on a sticker that looks something like ETRTO 622x19, 622x23 etc.

For the record my Boardman CX has 23mm wide rims and I ran 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tyres on it at 110psi for a while with no trouble other than a hard ride. On 25mm Rubino Pro Tech (at 100psi), it's transformed and just flies.

joelsyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sorry there was a very silly question here which I've now deleted!

joelsyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice. Basically want a set of decent slicks for winter road club runs. I guess the answer is something fairly fast?

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

Conventional wisdom is to make sure your tyre is 5-6mm or in old money a 1/4" bigger than the rim.

Don't do what Cannondale did with the first Bad Boy back in the noughties, they put 25mm rims with 25mm tyres which lead to a lot of dented rims.

There are loadsof 35mm tyres to choose from, the question is what do you want from the tyre?

Latest Comments