Home

I've recently started commuting to work on an Avanti Inc 2, with 8 speed Alfine hub and a belt drive. It's incredibly smooth and almost totally hassle free. Could a decent road bike be done with the same belt drive, but perhaps a Rohloff instead, without it weighing a ton? Anyone done it? Ta in advance!

2 comments

Dr_Lex [400 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

How much of a weight-weenie are you? The Rohloff seems designed more for reliability than the scales, so is usually found on steel tourers - see this recent review of the lovely Shand Stoater Rohloff, and the last part - "with TRP Spyre brakes and Stan’s Iron Cross rims built on to the Rohloff Speedhub and a Hope Pro2 Evo front – is priced at £3,595. It hit the road.cc Scales of Truth at 11.42kg (25.12lb)."

(I've an Alfine 11 (chain) on a Pompetamine for winter/bad weather commuting and if I was to buy again, I'd just get a cheaper alloy frame with regular chainset - the slightly longer cleaning time would be a lesser evil than the extra weight in my opinion.)

davecochrane [142 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks! I'll check it out. I'm 87kg on a bad day and 6ft, so I'm by no means a beanpole. Looks like the Rohloff may be better suited to something a little different.