Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Kinesis Aithein Build

Dear all,

I am about to embark on a build of a Kinesis Aithein, with a focus on weight and aggressiveness- this ain't gonna be no all day tourer.  4

At present I am also struggling to decide on the colour - black is drawing me in, but those other colours are slexy too!

Any riders of Aitheins - please give me your advice and feedback on the bike, how is the sizing etc? I'm around 5,8 and will be going for a 53cm frame - probably with a 110mm or 120mm stem.

Most likely I'll be going for SRAM Force 22, although may get drawn on a bit of Campy Chorus if the mood takes me...  19

Regarding wheels. I see alot of builds with Reynolds attack or assault on the bike. However, I'm struggling to source these wheels - any advice or feedback? I like to climb, but I live in Belgium, so if I run carbon wheels, they will need to stand up to being battered on pavé.

With best,

Mik

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Chris Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

I know this thread is years old.

I am considering an Aithein Disc build, 'cos I am after a race Di2 disc bike, preferably threaded BB, & have leaning toward alu instead of carbon. Obviously the preassembled Di2 bikes almost all carbon. Also, my own build gives me precise choice of things like handlbar type & width, chainrings, crank length, stem length, & make use of components I already own.

I did a weight budget & the Aithein Disc bike complete is under 8kg (excepting only pedals), based on Ultegra Di2, alu seatpost & alu handlebars (suprised me too, but I checked carefully).

Other than the Aithein Disc, there seem to be limited alu race frames that are compatible with Di2 drivetrain. If anyone knows of any at a reasonable price, please suggest. (I know there are brands such as Tomassini, but $$$ & hard to get in Australia).

Regards

BobbyG replied to Chris Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bowman Palace 3? This is where my money would be going 👍 (and may well in the not too distant future)

ole_velo replied to Chris Harris | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Chris. Just built up a 2020 Aithein Disc with Ultegra Di2. Weighs 8.2 kgs with King Cage steel bottle cages, Ultegra pedals & Wahoo mount. Alu seatpost, stem & handlebars, carbon seat & wheelset (Mavic Ksyrium UST 2020), DA9100 crankset. Very pleased with how the bike rides. Super value too.

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is mine - I have since chopped the steerer tube. I have no idea how to make this photo appear upright.  2 And I work with computers  2

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Was thinking the Spada Stiletto Forgiattos... but I've discovered I can buy the Deda 30mm AL for less, which weigh less and offer marginal aero benefits.

I also like Deda as a brand more and have plenty of their finishing kit, but have never come across their wheels.

http://www.dedaelementiruote.com/en/WD30ALCL.htm

Thoughts...???

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Am I going to notice any discernible difference between Campy Zondas and a set of nice wheelsmith race24s at all? Thanks!

notfastenough replied to Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

Am I going to notice any discernible difference between Campy Zondas and a set of nice wheelsmith race24s at all? Thanks!

With any luck the Wheelsmith Race wheels should be better than anything factory-built.

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

If the weight limit is 89kg, then they will have taken account of a factor of safety. I doubt even that anyone on the 89kg boundary would need to weigh themself religiously before each ride in case they were carrying a bit too much lard that day. At 89kg Kinesis will be fairly sure they won't see any frame failures / or so few that there is no need to worry about it. You'd probably get away with slightly heavier even, depending how you ride.

You don't need to then factor in your own weight reduction below the 89kg!

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

I weigh 64kg... Not really a concern myself.

I have a crappy alu bike and a mid-level Italian carbon machine. I put thousands of kms on the carbon bike each year - it climbs that a goat on speed.

However, I'm coming back to high end alu after I did a sportive on my brother's Genesis. Loved the way the frame felt and handled. I think alu will always have a place for the more aggressive riders amongst us.

Really looking forward to getting the bike. Everything ordered (bar wheels) and beginning to arrive.  4

I have zondas on my campy equipped cinelli and love the wheels, however it just does not feel right putting zondas on a SRAM equipped bike, and it is always worth having a change.

Feeling myself getting drawn towards the Spadas...

Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've never had a carbon bike and have always promised myself one, one day. Aithein is making me think long and hard about this! RE the weight limit, which is 89 kg I think. Has anyone had any issues with this? Are any of you close to that? I'm around 80 myself so wouldn't want to put any on!

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have the Race23's. Stiff and light though the freehub needs a clean after manky weather.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ok so the question of wheels.

I'm thinking Wheelsmith's Race24 or perhaps Spade Stiletto Forgiato.

Any thoughts from anyone with experience of these wheels?

Many thanks.
Mike

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

This was mine:

//lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WKIugso8wL4/UgVXSRmpzEI/AAAAAAAAA6M/K86e4qqbzqg/w539-h518-no/IMG-20130809-00089.jpg)

I'm now looking to build up this  1

//lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9Frk9LT-p40/U3zLofiUVkI/AAAAAAAABKk/RTaDot53lL4/w691-h518-no/IMG-20140520-00296.jpg)

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

@ DrJDog - its a 31.6mm seatpost, not a 34.9mm

Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

Burnt orange frame
Ultegra 11 speed groupset (Dura Ace 53-39 standard crank)
Shimano RS81 C35
ITM Pathom Wing bars
ITM Pathom Stem 110mm
ITM Pathom seatpost
Selle Italia Flite Kit Carbonio Saddle

All in the garage ready for my autum winter project.

Seems aluminium is on the up......

Daveyraveygravey replied to Cyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes
Cyclist wrote:

How can you wait?! I'd be taking time off work/phoning in sick to get it on the road!

Cyclist replied to Daveyraveygravey | 9 years ago
0 likes
Daveyraveygravey][quote=Cyclist wrote:

How can you wait?! I'd be taking time off work/phoning in sick to get it on the road![/

It's strange but now I have all the parts I am just savouring the fact that it's all there ready to build. I have my other bikes, so no need to rush it as I am doing it all myself.

0 likes

Merlin cycles doing half price Campag wheels at the moment...

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

The BB in mine is the standard press fit GXP BB86 bottom bracket. Easy enough to fit, but be careful because the drive side is slightly wider than the other, so you could end up having to do it again, not that that would happen to anyone.

I have a carbon post in mine, an SL-K one, but it's 34.9mm, so you're not getting much of the give of carbon with that, I don't think.

My wheels I got Mark at Spokesman Wheels to build on Novatec hubs. They seem good so far, I don't notice any flex and I am close to the upper limit of the Aithein's weight limit.

I'll take a picture when I've chopped the steerer tube. It's sticking up a bit at the moment..

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes
rabeynon replied to Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes
Mrmiik wrote:

Looks like a toss up between Spada (http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/spada-stiletto-wheelset-review.html) and Shimano RS81 C24s... (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-wh-rs81-c24-carbon-laminate-clincher-whe...)

been thinking of getting the Spadas for a while now, anyone got experience of them?

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Certainly will send pics!

I went for SRAM Force 22 in the end. Now the waiting game begins...

Last thing is to decide on a new set of wheels. I am seriously seriously tempted by wheelsmith - look at the weight of those wheels for the price.

However, this would be my first ever set of tubular AND carbon wheels. Should I just stick to clinchers?

0 likes

Can we have pictures of all these Aitheins please?! I would love one myself...

mtbtomo | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just be aware that the lettering on the anodised black is essentially raw aluminium (albeit laser eteched) and mine corroded - the finishing went all mottled and I couldn't get it to clean up. So keep the downtube well cleaned and possibly use some alloy wheel wax or a similar protective liquid to keep it fresh and clean.

Dom at Kinesis sorted me out with a new one though under warranty, no quibbles. I went for the orange one as a replacement. Ashamed to say I haven't built it up yet though  2

I'd definitely go a carbon seatpost of some kind, and I swapped from Planet-X wheels to Wheelsmith Race23's when I did have it built up. Might not be wise to use a wheel builder in another country, but they do offer "free spokes for life" which suggests they're happy to endorse their wheels as unlikely to fail in normal use.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers - can I ask what bottom bracket you have in for your SRAM crankset? Never had a BB86 bike before!

I was seriously tempted by the orange, but I really have felt the need for a stealth bike in the stable for a while now  3

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have one in Orange with black H Plus Son Archetypes, and a mixture of Red and Force. The orange is really nice, metallic, and really stands out. It's 59cm with a 90mm stem so I can't help you too much with sizing.

I did consider very expensive wheels, then thought better of it. I think 7.5kg is light enough for me. I don't notice any difference between my stolen Canyon SLX on Ksyrium Elites and this in terms of weight, the Canyone definitely a little more comfortable.

Looks great, IMO, goes great, is very stiff (possibly a little too stiff with road buzz, but I run with a little less tyre pressure to compensate). I really like it. Doing a time trial on it later this evening.

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well I've ordered it in black now.

Only thing decided on is a cinelli dinamo stem so far - trying to decide on a decent set of bars for around the £50 mark.

Hmmm... I was trying to decide between Force 22... maybe splurging on a bit of Chorus or hell, push the weight right down with Red 22!

This Aithein build is going to end up better than my best crabon bike...  13

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

Chorus 11 ... it's the dogs thingies ...  1 oh and Acid green all the way !!

Mrmiik | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the reply; I've seen Dom's messages before.

I have SRAM Force (10 speed) on my Cross Bike and 10speed Campy on my carbon road bike. My Brother has Force 22 on his BMC TeamMachine and it is brill. I just don't get on with Shimano shifting, even though I'll agree it's perhaps the most reliable grouppo out there.

I've tried apex - the SRAM fun begins at at Rival and up  1

The problem is that I'm tempted by Centaur Red Carbon edition at £500 - the benefit of this is that I will be able to swap wheels between my current road bike.

Plan on getting some nice carbon tubs at some point so will be good to be able to run them on the Kinesis and Cinelli!

notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes

Sounds awesome! When Kinesis have an article on here, Dom (the Kinesis CEO) always chips in to the comments. At one point, he was asked to use the 'sick green' on more bikes, and to add a burnt orange. It would appear that he listens to his customers. I think an Aithein build will be a great bike.

A clubmate has an Aithein in green, and says it's as stiff as anything, accelerates crazy quick, and is easy to hold high speeds. He loves it.

Do you already have SRAM? I have Apex on my commuter, and having bought Shimano on my best bike, I won't be buying any more SRAM. It's just not in the same league.

Personally, I'd go:
Aithein in orange with black fork
Chorus 11sp or Ultegra 11sp
Wheelsmith aero 38 clinchers with sapim cxray and Wheelsmith hubs - handbuilt using replaceable parts and includes a good warranty - I believe they are happy for these to be used in tough conditions such as 'cross
http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/aero-38-clincher

Bearing in mind the bikes stiffness though, I'd probably be tempted to buy something like Canyon's VCLS 2.0 seatpost for the pave.

Pages

Latest Comments