Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Picking riders in the break after the race had started sue to clocks going forwards

Discuss. I for one, think that is taking the piss.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If nothing else this has at least got the forum busy ......every cloud and all that

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

So it seems to be confirmed, you can "cheat" if you know you can get away with it.

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

I could live without this game even being here.

It clogs up the On The Forum subject window.

I click on something thinking there might be some discussion about a race and it's all related to riders and starts and values.

No doubt I'm in a minority and many people seem to like it, so knock yourselves out, but I'd prefer it to be a separate site or in some way not so integrated and interruptive to the 'normal' functioning of road.cc.

giff77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Really can't believe folk are still bumping their gums on this one. I used to youth work for a good chunk of my life. And let me tell you. 10 year olds didn't complain as badly as what some are on this forum. The solution: Not to include a race that occurs when the clocks change. That will sort it. Grow up the lot of you and consign it to experience. As has been pointed out. Docking earned points for the breakaway will prove negligible in the great scheme of things. And who's to say that some of the players who have been highlighted as "cheaters" won't make a total arse of things later on.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

1) No, it's not ideal that the deadline was after the start. apologies for the mix up. We try not to make mistakes, but sometimes we make mistakes. This was one. Sorry.

2) No, we won't be docking any points for the stage. No rules were broken. If you want to be angry at someone, you can be angry at me.

3) We'll continue to keep the deadlines close to the stage starts because it gives people the maximum amount of time to make transfers, which is especially helpful for late weekend risers and those not playing in the UK.

4) if you're playing premium and you feel that your season has been irrevocably ruined then I'll be happy to refund your £10 and bump you back down to standard. Just email me at dave [at] road.cc

I'm closing this thread now, as I don't consider that any further discussion on the topic will be productive. Cheers.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

Now...off to the studio for my interview with Oprah...

Joelsim replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Did you, at any time during your career, take performance enhancing clock issues?

drheaton replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

Did you, at any time during your career, take performance enhancing clock issues?

I totally read that something else first time around.

Joelsim replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
Joelsim wrote:
ray silvester wrote:

I totally read that something else first time around.

I think that was a different edition of Oprah.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

I freely admit to taking advantage of it by changing Gruzdev to Aregger after the break was known(still hadn't reached halfway but that's a whole new discussion).

I'm happy to have my 177 docked to 167 and if you look at the start of the 'flanders field' topic you'll see I flagged it up.......it was then simply a thought of 'everyone else is going to do it so I will too'....if that makes me a bad man then make me David Millar LOL.

It does seem bizarre that people are getting so worked up about it....yet barely a ripple when breakaway riders are scored that don't even finish without a mention of this rule change anywhere? Surely over the course of a season this will have much more effect on the final rankings than one breakaway being taken advantage of due to a clock change?

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh my days. Can see where Gkams coming from these forums are becoming intolerable.

Do you folks realise how much time and effort people like DrHeaton & Gkam sacrifice for you lot just to give them shit for no benefit or profit whatsoever??

Try riding your bikes, might help with the issues!

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Let's not, it seems to be obvious what is going on here.

drheaton replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

It's not obvious to me but I think I can see where you and STEVESPRO are going with this, instead of just making vague insinuations and saying 'LOL' why not come out and say what you've got to say.

northstar replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
northstar wrote:

It's not obvious to me but I think I can see where you and STEVESPRO are going with this, instead of just making vague insinuations and saying 'LOL' why not come out and say what you've got to say.

Why don't you and others be honest? if others can manage it i'm sure you can.

pcsplace | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just woke up to read this thread today and oh my god let's just move on, we should be thankful for the great work the game admins have put in to make this game great and the work they do every day on races & rosters. I am a premium member but tbh it's a tenner for 12 months worth of fun and in my view I get more fun out of this than a console game for £50 that I may play for a month and get bored with. This game makes watching races all that much more enjoyable too; especially the lesser known ones.

I for one wish to thank the organisers and admins for their great work and I know I have at least 4 clocks in my house that I haven't put forward yet so thanks for the reminder  1

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

IIRC, on RCUK's fantasy cycling comp for the Tour De France, the deadline was midnight before the race. Not suggesting the deadline should be so early/drastic but it would solve this problem. What about making it 9am for all European races?

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wow. I can't believe some people are getting worked up about this. Lots of people noticed that an error had been made. Some chose to take advantage for the potential gain of a handful of points, others chose not to. I'm annoyed that the mistake was made, and that there was no response/apology from anyone involved, but I don't blame any players for taking advantage of it.

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I'm with Wig and Gkam on this, its an advantage that was gained through spotting a mistake by those running the game.

No it wasn't.

Quote:

Is it cheating? No

Wrong.

Quote:

As I've said before there is no feasible way of reverting transfers without harming people who genuinely made changes after the race started

LOL.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

What a load of rubbish is being written on this topic. The advantage gained from this, deliberate or not, when taken over a 12 month competition is so small i cant believe people are getting so worked up about it.

I for one want all the scores to stand as the transfers made were made when the window was open so its not cheating as it was open to everyone.

Wig Billy, Gkam have expressed a view which has no doubt been simmering with quite a few people for a while over the amount of critisicm that gets bandied about on the forum over quite petty and insignificant things, some people are acting like spoilt brats, get over it.

drheaton replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

What a load of rubbish is being written on this topic. The advantage gained from this, deliberate or not, when taken over a 12 month competition is so small i cant believe people are getting so worked up about it.

I for one want all the scores to stand as the transfers made were made when the window was open so its not cheating as it was open to everyone.

Wig Billy, Gkam have expressed a view which has no doubt been simmering with quite a few people for a while over the amount of critisicm that gets bandied about on the forum over quite petty and insignificant things, some people are acting like spoilt brats, get over it.

I'm with Wig and Gkam on this, its an advantage that was gained through spotting a mistake by those running the game, it was an advantage that was gained because they paid attention more than others, that's it.

Is it cheating? No. Is it in the spirit of the game? Probably not. The problem is that the spirit of the game isn't binding and if people want to take advantage of situations like this there is no way of stopping them.

As I've said before there is no feasible way of reverting transfers without harming people who genuinely made changes after the race started without seeking to gain advantage and I don't think that it is worth harming those people in order to punish a minority of others who made changes deliberately with the intention of picking riders in the break.

I'm also with Wig and Gkam on the forum. There have been instances lately where I have also almost walked away from the forum. Where possible I try to be reasonable with people but sometimes that doesn't work, I enjoy being on the forum most of the time but the number of instances where I think "sod this" are increasing.

STEVESPRO 79 replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it cheating? No. Is it in the spirit of the game? Probably not. The problem is that the spirit of the game isn't binding and if people want to take advantage of situations like this there is no way of stopping them.

You say there is no way of stopping them drheaton, well I am sorry but that is utter nonsense.....The way to stop them is not to have the loophole there....
Mistakes are always made in life and yet I would expect a paid for game not to repeat the same mistakes....
As I have said in another thread, the same thing happened last year and to say its not important is irrelevant....

Whether or not people take advantage of such loopholes is up to them, I personally think its sad if they do, but the fact is that once a mistake is made it should not happen again.... And it has....

The whole scenario puts the integrity of the game in doubt..... And I am sick of hearing that people give up there free time to run it.... Again, I personally think that should not be the case. I would gladly pay double the entrance fee to enable roadcc to pay someone to impartially run the game and so get rid of this cloud of suspicion for good....

northstar replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

LOL.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't want him to leave. That is what I was saying. Nor Gkam.

Anyway bed now, as said above let's just all forget about it and get back to enjoying seeing your riders winning.

Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's the same as doping. Competition to win, bending the rules. As I've said on BR many times I have no doubt that I would dope too under the circumstances.

Wig_Billy this isn't against you or anyone else who took advantage, that is only human nature, but the UCI shouldn't just turn a blind eye. Yours just happened to be the first name on the rankings.

Next year I will do the same as you, now I know that it is allowed.

enrique replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

It's the same as doping... Next year I will do the same as you, now I know that it is allowed.

Oh, c'mon! It's only a game! Don't be a dick! Tell Wig Billy you don't want him to leave! Don't be such an ass! The man's an inspiration to us all! And, c'mon, be your own man, if you're going to play by the rules, play by the rules. If you believe in the spirit of fair competition, play in that spirit, but don't become a rag in the wind! You haven't been harmed in any big way. What's done is done, let's just hug it out like one big family!  1 Here, have a hug!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQy7xiZXv0

It's just a game. Apologize to the man for making such a big stink and let bygones be bygones!

Come on back, Wiggy. Don't leave. We need you here, we love you here.  1 You're great fun and extremely irritating to be beaten by, in a good way!  1

Joelsim wrote:

... As I've said on BR...

What's BR?...

Gkam84 wrote:

I can ill afford to be sat on here doing rosters, sorting stages, points, finding startlists... [c]hecking them every day, [e]mailing, tweeting and phoning...

Putting riders on a breakaway on my team after the stage has started.... Yeah, that's hard work!  1

Gkam84 wrote:

I have pretty much come to the same conclusion...

You can leave. But could you fix the rider names on your way out?  1

Don't cry now. I'm just kidding!  1

enrique replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

Don't cry now. I'm just kidding!  1

I hope I didn't hurt your feelings now  4 I'd hate myself if you left... Unless you came back!  1 Then I'd be overjoyed!  4

johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm with Simon F on this one. Jeez, it's only a game, no one died. I do remember it happening last year at some stage, and I remember hesitating, and deciding no, I want to be scored on my position pre race. However, it isn't cheating. You can argue about the spirit/letter of the rules, but it ain't cheating. Still, gkam was clearly trying to stir the pot today  1 certainly got the forum going. It also tells you that getting the break away guys in one day races without sprint/mountain points is not where the big money is.

northstar replied to johnny2names | 10 years ago
0 likes
johnny2names wrote:

I'm with Simon F on this one. Jeez, it's only a game, no one died. I do remember it happening last year at some stage, and I remember hesitating, and deciding no, I want to be scored on my position pre race. However, it isn't cheating. You can argue about the spirit/letter of the rules, but it ain't cheating. Still, gkam was clearly trying to stir the pot today  1 certainly got the forum going. It also tells you that getting the break away guys in one day races without sprint/mountain points is not where the big money is.

It isn't cheating? Lol, really...

enrique replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

Yeah, but is it worth alienating each other over this? I don't want people to leave the game 'cause they're extra competitive, found a loophole and took full advantage of it. It wasn't right, but let's let it go. The game is a challenge and Wig Billy is a pretty cool cat.

northstar replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
northstar wrote:

Yeah, but is it worth alienating each other over this? I don't want people to leave the game 'cause they're extra competitive, found a loophole and took full advantage of it. It wasn't right, but let's let it go. The game is a challenge and Wig Billy is a pretty cool cat.

It's not a loophole and any points gained this way should be removed.

Pages

Latest Comments