Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

spacer for 11 speed freehub with 10 spd ultegra cassette

To the collective knowledge base.

I've just bought some fulcrum racing3 2 way fit wheels. It has an 11 spd freehub and I have an 10spd 11-28 ultegra cassette going in to it. There was a spacer provided with the wheels and I also have a (much thinner) spacer which came with cassette. Should I use both of these or just the one that came with the wheels?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have done some digging and it looks like Tiagra 10 speed cassettes do not need the 1mm spacer as they are the same width as 9 speed cassettes, but all 10 speed cassettes 105 spec and above do. I could find no definitive statement on this - just going by Q and As on CRC and from Shimano exploded view docs. I'd hazard a guess that if the cassette is supplied with one, then it should be used if the cassette is being fitted to an 11 speed hub.

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Stevejames if your local bike shop hav'nt got one spare they'll give you, PM an address and I'll post one you over, I've got several spare..

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

@stevejames 

1 just the thickness (shimano flavour obvs)

2 almost certainly. In theory you need a marginally longer chain, in practice I'd be very surprised if your existing chain were so tight it wouldn't work. 

stevejames | 8 years ago
0 likes

Like Brokenorange I've got a Fulcrum racing 3 wheelset with 11 speed Shimano cassette, on which I plan to mount a 10 speed cassette. Problem is, I bought these wheels used and don't have the necessary spacer(s). Question 1: must I use 'Fulcrum' spacers or is it only a question of proper thickness? Question 2: Currently my chain is running on a 12-23 cassette on my old wheel. If I use a 12-25 cassette on the new wheels will the chain accommodate the extra teeth. The rear mech is Ultegra. Thanks.

southernsoftie | 8 years ago
1 like

Here's the technical stuff:

Shimano 8, 9 & 10 Speed Cassette Compatibility With 11 Speed Freehub

The Dura-Ace CS-9000 & Ultegra CS-6800 HG-EV 11 Speed Cassette is 1.85mm wider than a 10 speed HG cassette, therefore the freehub dimensions have been adjusted accordingly. In order to mount a CS-9000 or CS-6800 HG-EV 11 speed cassette, an 11- speed wheel must be used.

When mounting a 10 speed cassette on the new 11 speed freehub design 2 spacers are required. Firstly a 1.85mm spacer which is supplied with the wheel, secondly a 1mm spacer which is supplied with the cassette.

To run a 8 or 9 speed cassette, only the 1.85 spacer is required.

Alan Tullett replied to southernsoftie | 8 years ago
1 like
southernsoftie wrote:

Here's the technical stuff:

Shimano 8, 9 & 10 Speed Cassette Compatibility With 11 Speed Freehub

The Dura-Ace CS-9000 & Ultegra CS-6800 HG-EV 11 Speed Cassette is 1.85mm wider than a 10 speed HG cassette, therefore the freehub dimensions have been adjusted accordingly. In order to mount a CS-9000 or CS-6800 HG-EV 11 speed cassette, an 11- speed wheel must be used.

When mounting a 10 speed cassette on the new 11 speed freehub design 2 spacers are required. Firstly a 1.85mm spacer which is supplied with the wheel, secondly a 1mm spacer which is supplied with the cassette.

To run a 8 or 9 speed cassette, only the 1.85 spacer is required.

This is why I read forums. Sometimes someone writes exactly what you need to know but can't find out so easily somewhere else. Thinking of buying new wheels but will be running them on 8 and 9 speed bikes. Thanks!

Batchy replied to Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
1 like

Alan Tullett wrote:
southernsoftie wrote:

Here's the technical stuff: Shimano 8, 9 & 10 Speed Cassette Compatibility With 11 Speed Freehub The Dura-Ace CS-9000 & Ultegra CS-6800 HG-EV 11 Speed Cassette is 1.85mm wider than a 10 speed HG cassette, therefore the freehub dimensions have been adjusted accordingly. In order to mount a CS-9000 or CS-6800 HG-EV 11 speed cassette, an 11- speed wheel must be used. When mounting a 10 speed cassette on the new 11 speed freehub design 2 spacers are required. Firstly a 1.85mm spacer which is supplied with the wheel, secondly a 1mm spacer which is supplied with the cassette. To run a 8 or 9 speed cassette, only the 1.85 spacer is required.

This is why I read forums. Sometimes someone writes exactly what you need to know but can't find out so easily somewhere else. Thinking of buying new wheels but will be running them on 8 and 9 speed bikes. Thanks!

Well I've never used two spacers. Just one will suffice with no problems !

Podc replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
1 like

Batchy wrote:

Same here. I have two sets of wheels with 11 speed hubs and 10 speed cassettes and both are fitted only with the spacer provided with the wheels. I've bought a number of 10 speed cassettes over the last couple of years and cannot recall seeing a 1mm spacer supplied with any of them.

Does anyone know if there has been a change with Shimano 10 speed cassettes and they no longer need the 1mm spacer or do they just not supply it with the cassette anymore?

Batchy replied to Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

Podc wrote:

Batchy wrote:

Same here. I have two sets of wheels with 11 speed hubs and 10 speed cassettes and both are fitted only with the spacer provided with the wheels. I've bought a number of 10 speed cassettes over the last couple of years and cannot recall seeing a 1mm spacer supplied with any of them.

Does anyone know if there has been a change with Shimano 10 speed cassettes and they no longer need the 1mm spacer or do they just not supply it with the cassette anymore?

They ( 6700 ) still come supplied with a spacer.

glynr36 | 9 years ago
1 like

Just rtfm, it's not difficult is it?

brokenorange replied to glynr36 | 9 years ago
1 like
glynr36 wrote:

Just rtfm, it's not difficult is it?

Dude! you need to go for a cycle or something.

FYI I did read the manual and it was fairly inconclusive as to what spacers were needed, so I thought a wee post here might help. With my attempt at humour at the end!

Would you speak like that to my face... oh wait don't answer that.

See, my attempt at humour again.

Fringe | 9 years ago
1 like

I may be wrong but I think there's a 1.8mm difference between 10 and 11 speed, therefore you spacer(s) should make up the difference either on there own or together.

brokenorange | 9 years ago
0 likes

OK so 1-1

Having looked at the stack there looks to very little difference between the two. Without the spacer I still get a tight fit without any wobble.

Please don't make me reach for the instructions. ..

giff77 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I only needed the spacer that came with my new wheel set (Fulcrum) this time last year. Have rattled out 2000 summer miles with no issues.

therevokid | 9 years ago
0 likes

from what I've seen/read you'll need both spacers to fit a 10 speed cassette
on an 11speed hub !

brokenorange replied to therevokid | 9 years ago
1 like

Thanks therevokid, that's a great help.

I could do something outrageous like read the instructions  13

mrkeith119 | 9 years ago
1 like

Not actually sure, but try it with the one that came with the wheel only, if there is no side to side movement of the cassette, it should be fine. If there is movement take it off and add the other spacer.

If you do use this method and only use one spacer, check it after a couple of rides incase there is play when it settles down.

Latest Comments