Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

West coast of Scotland moving on tour suggestions

Merry Christmas everyone. I am planning a moving on tour of the West Coast of Scotland for next May and will be grateful for route suggestions. Planned length about a week. Expecting not much more than about 50 miles a day average as I am looking to explore and enjoy myself. Train station start and finish. Quite some years ago I went Oban, Mull, Iona, Barra and back. I have no objection to repeating any of that but I thought this time I'd like to go in and around the Applecross peninsula. For the most part I am looking for the quietest, most scenic roads. On a rough stuff tourer probably so I can take in some off road especially if it helps link things up, but not planning anything off road too hard to ride on a touring bike (long carries) . I thought B&Bs. I could bring a tent just in case and would be interested to know about availability / booking ahead for accommodation. Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

chrisonabike | 2 years ago
3 likes

Decades back I did a week round from Kyleakin, up to Ullapool, ferry to Stornaway and down the Western Isles, then ferry back to Skye and a final amazing day down between the Cuillins. We skipped the Applecross peninsula part - probably wise as we found the rest enough for our legs and as others mentioned this small section needs a lot of hauling. Think it's not just the Belach; although at a large scale "flat" I think there are a lot of small but sharp ups and downs. We mixed youth hostels with the odd BnB - that worked well. Be mindful of Sunday restrictions especially on the outer Hebrides - less than when I went though. Generally highly recommended.  If you get mostly good weather that is. You really don't want bad weather but would miss something if it were all dry and sunny - not likely though!

The islands are great for variety. The mainland coast is certainly scenic with good parts (especially long descent into Ullapool if going north!) but it's very much up, then down, repeat. If back there I might be tempted just to explore Skye and associated islands.

If repeating I'd not travel going South-west down the outer Hebrides. Once you hit the prevailing wind you'll be pedalling squares and the southern islands are more exposed. Note your route choice - on roads or not - is generally limited in those parts unless you're Danny MacAskill. Whatever route check that you get appropriate rewards in the shape of views (assuming weather lets you see) / points of interest (whisky, megaliths etc.). Further north, up from Unapool, terrain inland (Assynt) is amazing. And finally - even though it's early - midge protection just in case!

GMBasix replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
1 like

Hebridean Way is on my bucket list, plannign for this year with DS after his GCSEs. Sadly, I think we might hit midge season... can only hope for a persistent tailwind.

chrisonabike replied to GMBasix | 2 years ago
2 likes

I did my trip with my father - it was a great experience. Having some motivational points is key (as always). Particularly since weather's highly variable but the wind is most often there.

I'm sure you'll love it - short boat trips between the islands add to the "adventure" and the wind definitely helps with the midges.

TheBillder | 2 years ago
1 like

Applecross has just the two ways in and out, and sometimes people don't realise that the coast road means just as much climbing as the Bealach na ba, it's just more spread out in lumps rather than in a single bonkers climb.

Last time I was there (a long time ago) there was some camping, I think associated with the Applecross Inn, which is pretty much the hub of everything there.

You probably know this already but distances between settlements are often long, and what might seem to be a village on the map can be just a couple of houses with nowhere to buy food and drink.

Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

AFAIK there aren't really many suitable options around the Applecross peninsula other than what you see on the road map (the rest being too boggy, rough or steep). The Coulin Pass came to mind as a linking option, though, and there may be others to suit you at: www.lochcarron.org.uk/cycle

alternatively, have you considered the Western Isles end-to-end?

Latest Comments