Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Water in my rims!

A quick Google shows this is a thing - been out quite a lot in the rain and through some flooded roads now I've got water trapped in my rims - Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith with tubes - I'm presuming I'll need to take off the tyre and tube to get the water out, any suggestions on stopping it getting back in? Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Dnnnnnn | 3 years ago
0 likes

I also had this recently - first time I'd noticed it in decades of riding. And yes, I removed the tyre and tube and held the rim with the valve hole pointing downwards until it cleared.
As ChasP suggests, something around the valve at the hole might be helpful - it's the most likely point of ingress. Pop an o-ring or small rubber washer over the valve before you slot the valve through the hole in the rim. Pumped-up air pressure will create a watertight seal.

ChasP | 3 years ago
2 likes

I've had Shimano wheels that have small holes to let water out, I made a point of moving them to the bottom when parking up after a wet ride. To stop entry a bit of grease round each nipple wouldn't hurt and would help prevent corrosion in winter plus o ring or tape round valve?

Simon E replied to ChasP | 3 years ago
0 likes

My Shimano wheels have a little hole and I could even hear the water in the rear rim after riding through deep puddles.

Took the plastic rim tape off and leant it on a radiator to ensure it was fully dried out.

Any grease applied to the nipples won't stay there for long, either after wet rides or when washing them (a daily task for me recently).

Latest Comments