Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Water in Bottom Bracket

Hi all,
Earlier this year input in a new Shimano ultegra bottom bracket into my bike. Oddly lately it's started to make noise so checked and reapplied more grease. Then checked the chainset bolts etc. The noise was still there.... Having just took it apart again. Is this level of water normal for a bike? Is it possible to even diagnose where it's coming from? 😳😳

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbwzas48sed0zl4/pxl_20210802_080155610.portrai...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Richbeck | 2 years ago
1 like

If you Google bottom bracket drainage holes, you will find lots of advice and pics of various shapes and sizes - Campag insist on a drainage hole for an ultra torque set up.

steve_s1 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I found the same when replacing bottom bracket on my winter bike last year. I guessed water was entering around the seat post, so I removed and thoroughly greased all around the seat post. I'm also careful now when cleaning my bikes not to be too generous splashing water around the seat post. I must admit I've not checked since to see if this has eliminated the problem. I guess time will tell.

Brooksy1882 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for you replies! Very helpful and I'm very surprised. Wasn't aware this to be a common problem but suppose it is obvioulsy. I know the typical UK summer has brought loads of rain this year and with regular commutes I'll have to clean out this area more often then!

huntswheelers | 2 years ago
1 like

Pretty common that.....although yours is much better than 90% of what I see in the workshop..... corrosion and water wise...  C*nn0nd@le always seem to be the worse for flooded BB shells from experience.... BBR60 and the like tend to allow water past the plastic bearing sleeve as it wears through use and age.....caveat being the ones I have fitted the past 18 months or so are no where near as good quality as 2-3 years ago....

Welsh boy | 2 years ago
1 like

Drill a small hole in the lowest point of the bottom bracket shell to drain it, a small hole about 2.5mm won't weaken the frame  enough to notice, there is plenty of metal at that point.  If you are worried about doing that there is probably a bolt holding a cable guide under the bottom bracket,  drill a hole in the bolt instead 

mike the bike replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Drill a small hole in the lowest point of the bottom bracket shell to drain it, a small hole about 2.5mm won't weaken the frame  enough to notice, there is plenty of metal at that point.  If you are worried about doing that there is probably a bolt holding a cable guide under the bottom bracket,  drill a hole in the bolt instead 

Both these little mods are good news.  You will never stop water getting into your frame so why not let it out at the bottom.

ktache replied to mike the bike | 2 years ago
0 likes

Drilling the bb shell seems a bit much, tilting the frame back so that any water drians out of the chain stay holes in the bb shell and out of the weld holes at the end of the chain stays would seem like an easier thing.

Or removing the seat post and turning her upside down every so often?

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Looks about the same as I had earlier in the year. I always understood water ingress to be a BB potential and something to check in normal maintenance.

Latest Comments