Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wahoo Kickr Bike resistance spikes

Got a new Kickr a couple of months ago-  if riding not in erg mode, there is a very significant spike in resistance when changing up a gear-  wattage spikes by as much as a 100w or even more for a few seconds.

Wahoo support say this is normal-  if you are maintaining the same cadence you need to "accelerate" up to the hihger speed represented by the hihger gear and this requires the extra power.  

However, it doesn't feel like a normal gear change on the road-  anyone else get this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Recoveryride | 3 years ago
0 likes

This is normal for all smart trainers. On the road, you'll find you change gear to keep the perceived resistance relatively constant, steep climbs and deliberate accelerations not withstanding. Transitions in gradients on roads tend to be relatively gentle for obvious reasons, and you can almost always see them coming. The change is steady and you're anticipating it, so it feels/is gradual.

On the trainer, outside of erg mode, it is much more of a 'step' - like suddenly hitting a 4-5% climb you somehow didn't know was coming. The only similar real-world situation I can think of where this sometimes happens is off road, when you can hit unexpectedly deep mud or  go round a corner on an unknown trail to find a sudden ramp. When that happens before you can drop a gear or 2 that does result in an abrupt spike in power of 100w+ (I know because it's happened to me!)

jaymack | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have the new kickr as well, yours is not acting abnormally. I've had mine since September-ish and can confirm that cranking it up just before changing up a gear is normal and really is the best way to prevent 'spiking' however odd that may seem. I've found that keeping it ERG mode is the way to get the best out of your new toy. ERG doesn't like constant short, sharp sprints - you may well have disabled that function for precisely this reason - so wahoo's 'acceleration' solution is just something you'll have to get used to I'm afraid. 

Latest Comments