Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Volta Catalunya

Looks like we're climbing again. 

Just never got to grips with Tirreno Adriatico somehow...onwards and upwards for this one. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

56 comments

Daniel Norton | 3 years ago
0 likes

WTF?  Catalunya game closed but no points at all for todays stage 7?  I smashed it today as well.

Is somebody going to correct it then?

Aragonite replied to Daniel Norton | 3 years ago
0 likes

Give them time.

Condor Andy replied to Daniel Norton | 3 years ago
2 likes

We update the stage scores manually and we're not always on hand to update immediately once a race finishes. Patience is a virtue, they always get done.

11waterloo replied to Condor Andy | 3 years ago
2 likes

And your efforts are much appreciated! 

11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Guess who took TdG out this morning? Wish I'd missed the deadline now!

Dr Winston replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

If it makes you any happier I took Bling out to thicken up my picks. Tying up too much in MVDP, Bling and WVA hurt me last time...and now he bites me back. 

0 likes

....and....I don't pick him anymore. At one time you could guarantee he would go on maybe 50% of the likely breakaway stages that looked good for him and make a good fist of it....I doubt it's even 25% now and even then he backs off in most of them. 

11waterloo replied to Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

He is definitely a bit haphazard nowadays. I always get sucked in if he's about 10 million. In truth I never considered keeping him in for today so I can't complain!

0 likes

Really hard to predict today. I did a risky Porte > Woods. Lost out by a single point. 

0 likes

Definitely hard to call. I even ended up with two spare transfers. Was going to go full GC for final stage with three changes in the bank. Decided against and only made the one..... TdG for Woods.

0 likes

My biggest dither of the game was whether to get Sagan and Impey for Simon Yates and Mohoric...leaving no last day transfers....or keep Mohoric and just do Simon Yates to Dion Smith...leaving me with Mohoric and Smith. Sagan and Impey got 75pts over two days whilst Mohoric and Smith got exactly the same....and then I lost one point with Porte > Woods with my extra transfer. Pffft.

0 likes

It does always amaze me the number of times that doing nothing would actually be the better call. None of my transfers today, over both races, improved my score. It does require discipline and nerves of steel!

0 likes

I'd do the same Porte > Woods again with a spare transfer. Porte isn't renown for driving to the line, he's been around too long for that....but...the transfer would have been better used earlier for a possible bigger upside.

Aragonite replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Same here,and to add to the misery I would of won standard Volta Castalunya.

11waterloo replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's a tough one to take - I am just mid-table so no real damage. Kept leaving him in and eventually lost patience with him today. TdG is one to either keep in all race or not bother with at all! 

Aragonite replied to 11waterloo | 3 years ago
0 likes

He had tackled this 7th stage five times in the past, finishing 6mins  down, DNF, 1min down, 5mins down, and another DNF. The stage did seem not to be to his liking. But as we all know this sport can make a fool of you, and still we love it.   1

Dr Winston replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

What makes that worse is the fact that the changes this year, to the circuit, looked less likely to suit him than previously. He's fabulous...just less predictable now.

stevemarks replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thank you much appreciatedlaugh

Aragonite replied to stevemarks | 3 years ago
1 like

Anytime. Would of been a hat-trick of stage race wins this year too.

stevemarks replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

Aragonite wrote:

Had TDG from the start meaning to keep him throughout but switched to Champoussin on stage three. always stick to the plan eh? I would have walked it.......

Anytime. Would of been a hat-trick of stage race wins this year too.

Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

Sagan clear favourite with bookmakers, and seems no one brings him in Must be a first.. 

11waterloo replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

It was Meeus that put me off, just in case they ran for him. Proves that the bookies generally get it right, unlike me who had Arensman at 200-1 each way - still riding I think......

Dr Winston replied to Aragonite | 3 years ago
0 likes

He was without a doubt the favourite. I went for Dion Smith instead. I thought he would do better today and definitely a better pick for tomorrow...my thinking was over the two days he was the better pick. Sadly...

I wasn't actually that sure Sagan would be in the hot seat for the sprint..I thought they would have fought harder to displace him. 

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

Bonkers stage in Catalunya. Mohoric looks like he wants the win today but setting about it in an odd way. Gonna have no legs left at the end. 

0 likes

And Soler looking interested today.....presumably he saw that we had both taken him out!

Dr Winston | 3 years ago
0 likes

What a great ride by Chaves. Fantastic.

0 likes

Good pick for you as well! Less said about my day the better - went all in on a breakaway day......

0 likes

11waterloo wrote:

Good pick for you as well! Less said about my day the better - went all in on a breakaway day......

I very rarely go for breakaway picks until I know they're going for KOM pts for certain. Broke my rule with Soler last night...stupid pick...Chaves bailed me out nicely. Who did you go with?

0 likes

Picked Soler like you but had a Chavez/Vanhoucke for GC or LLSanchez/Champoussin for breakaway decision. Went breakaway and went Sanchez feeling he could fancy the kom points. To be honest, if I'd gone GC, I would have probably gone Vanhoucke....

0 likes

11waterloo wrote:

Picked Soler like you but had a Chavez/Vanhoucke for GC or LLSanchez/Champoussin for breakaway decision. Went breakaway and went Sanchez feeling he could fancy the kom points. To be honest, if I'd gone GC, I would have probably gone Vanhoucke....

I didn't have any doubts about Chaves after yesterday. Soler or Vanhoucke was my dither. He's a really reliable, if relatively low scoring, pick. I like him. 

Pages

Latest Comments