Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"Virgin Media van driver muscles in front" video

Not sure how many people have watched this clip yet - https://t.co/jvaBzD1Urm
but it got my adrenaline going the first time I watched it.
I think I would have done the same as what the rider did and defensively slowed, probably... but then again, I may have been a bit of a stinker and turbo'd up behind the car. It feels like a battle of wits sometimes, but against a 3-ton van I know who'd come off worse.
I do wonder though, by mostly submitting and being 'defensive', if I'm encouraging drivers to pull more of these stunts. If they know they can get away with pushing cyclists around, won't they just keep doing it? Even though the rider of the clip was in primary, the van driver bullied his way in (so annoying, grrr) Is this not against the law somehow?

Okay, rant over  1 Thanks for reading

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

wtjs | 2 years ago
4 likes

If they know they can get away with pushing cyclists around, won't they just keep doing it?

Yes, when the only police 'action' is 'having a word with the driver' and 'sending some educational information'.

TheBillder | 2 years ago
3 likes

Defensive and submissive are different things (and not just in the BDSM community...). Defensive riding should reduce the opportunities that drivers have to place you at risk. Submission may be necessary if a driver does place you at risk.

My preference is always to live rather than be right, so I probably submit earlier than some and filter less. As a teenager I had a frightening experience similar to Rendel's description, wondering if my bars were wider than my shoulders and how strong they were. Almost 40 years later, I'm more cautious.

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
6 likes

Your safety must come first, I've had too many situations like that in London where I've thought I won't submit and found myself with my elbows touching metal both sides and the gap still narrowing. There are a number of psychopaths out there who have no concept of the consequences of their actions, it's simply I'm bigger therefore I can bully you so I will. Back off, run a camera, report to police and employers. I know sometimes the police won't act but I was in court last month for one similar to that but much faster and the driver got fined £180, £400 costs, 3 points and under the totting procedure (already had 9 points) a six month ban.

Allen Key replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

I hear what you're saying, Rendel  1 Yeah, I guess no amount of pride is worth a hospital trip or worse...

Glad to hear you got a bad driver banned, hehe. I've not been to court though, so I don't know the procedure. When you say you were "in court", almost sounds like you're the villain (joking) Is it like, to give a statement then?

Rendel Harris replied to Allen Key | 2 years ago
2 likes

Yes, it's all pretty straightforward, you're asked to describe what happened by the prosecutor and taken through your video and asked to explain what it shows, then the defendant or their lawyer has a chance to ask you any questions. Bit nerve-wracking first time but once you know what's going on just routine.

Eton Rifle replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

Yes, it's all pretty straightforward, you're asked to describe what happened by the prosecutor and taken through your video and asked to explain what it shows, then the defendant or their lawyer has a chance to ask you any questions. Bit nerve-wracking first time but once you know what's going on just routine.

Bravo on the court attendance. I'm always asked to tick the "Are you prepared to attend court, if necessary" by A&S when reporting and so far haven't had to. I have appeared as a witness for the prosecution in a criminal case, so do understand that it's a bit nerve-wracking, even when you know you're in the right.

Rendel Harris replied to Eton Rifle | 2 years ago
2 likes

Magistrate's court really not too hard on the nerves, usually just you, the defendant, two magistrates, prosecutor and (sometimes) defence lawyer and a couple of officials. I did appear as a prosecution witness many years ago in Cambridge Crown Court to testify against six thugs who'd been giving a woman a kicking - each had their own barrister, there were two prosecution barristers, full jury, judge, custody officers, press, public gallery, full panoply of wigs and gowns, now that did make me feel nervous!

AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
2 likes

It was on Thursday or Fridays blog last week. 

Allen Key replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, maybe I should have phrased my question a bit better. The road.cc blog is actually where I saw the video, but as it's only five days not sure if people had seen it yet. I was just using the bullying van to illustrate my point. Should you always submit when someone pushes in - for safety's sake - or does that "enable" people to do it all the more?

hawkinspeter replied to Allen Key | 2 years ago
4 likes

Allen Key wrote:

Sorry, maybe I should have phrased my question a bit better. The road.cc blog is actually where I saw the video, but as it's only five days not sure if people had seen it yet. I was just using the bullying van to illustrate my point. Should you always submit when someone pushes in - for safety's sake - or does that "enable" people to do it all the more?

I tend to hold my road position (or even make it more obviously primary) if I'm travelling at the same speed as traffic and am feeling confident, but if they sound aggressive (e.g. excessive acceleration up to that point) then I'd concede that battle. It seems to mainly happen on the approach to traffic lights where they're probably assuming that a cyclist will filter on the inside of vehicles to get to the front (which I usually do), but it's annoying when they misjudge your speed so they end up by the side of you.

I had a similar scenario this morning. I was keeping pace with a line of moving traffic and a small van was slowly overtaking me except there wasn't enough space for him to fit between me and the car in front, so I maintained my speed and position and shot him a derisory look and a not-so-under-my-breathe "fack off" as I do not want to be cycling with a vehicle 1-2 feet by my side. I got back in front and then made sure that I was in primary enough so that he didn't have room to try that again. I often go along that road and I have no problem with vehicles overtaking me along it, but I'm not having them box me in.

wycombewheeler replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
4 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

It seems to mainly happen on the approach to traffic lights where they're probably assuming that a cyclist will filter on the inside of vehicles to get to the front 

I generally only filter if I think the queue is too long for a single phase of the lights, easier to start up at the back of the queue and draft the cars, than be at the front with them all wanting to overtake.

Except when this happens

hawkinspeter wrote:

I had a similar scenario this morning. I was keeping pace with a line of moving traffic and a small van was slowly overtaking me except there wasn't enough space for him to fit between me and the car in front, 

When one driver acts as if I am not part of the traffic pulls alongside when they can't pass and then herds me to the kerb. They probably think they are geting i front, but the result is (now that I am clearly not recognised as part of the traffic) that I will filter all the way to the front, and the herding driver will now be delayed far more than if they had waited behind me, as will all the drivers in front of them.

Awavey replied to Allen Key | 2 years ago
2 likes

I think it varies for each situation, some drivers wont give you the choice, so you submit or get hit in those cases.

I dont think I'd have tackled that Virgin van any differently to ldnparks, I'd have held my line till it became too dangerous not to concede just as they did though I just wouldnt have bothered talking to the driver. Often in situations like that Id just filter past them if I caught them up and deliberately sit right in front of them again, even if I could filter further ahead. I like to think that gets the message through to them.

I dont think riding like that enables more people to overtake in those situations, I've seen some cyclists who will literally ride into every bus stop lay by on a road,or pull over so far their pedals strike the kerb stones, that enables motorists to expect cyclists to get out the way, not dropping back when you are about to get squished.

But it depends if I'm at the end of a long ride,or been triggered by more than incident,my mood etc, changes how I might react.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
1 like

Sorry, thought you were posting it "new". 

As for the question, do as Ren mentions, stay safe for yourself, get a camera and then report them as required. Yes there is a "hope" that you have a better Police Force then wtjs but it is better to be alive and report more then dead and not able to report one.  

Latest Comments