Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vel Wheels

Torn between a set of 50mm vels and 38mm rovals (decent sale on a sigma sports fyi). No experience of vels, basically spec the same as other 'smaller' brands ie hunt, parcours etc etc and look great, decent hubs etc etc  

wondering if anyone's ridden any. Or whether the similarly priced rovals are a better option (warranty, brand (if that even means anything these days))

cheers 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Sjl | 9 months ago
0 likes

I have a set of vel 50's which am very happy with. Have greased freewheel pawls to quieten them down a bit  1
Was looking at mates Hunt wheels recently and noticed thet were identical, assume Hunt are providing rebadged wheels for Sigma? Makes sense i suppose

kil0ran replied to Sjl | 9 months ago
0 likes

I don't think so, Vel have DT Swiss hubs, Hunt don't use those.

Sjl replied to kil0ran | 9 months ago
0 likes

Honestly, the hubs were identical, doubt they are DT swiss, more likely be budget far east generic hubs, and nothing wrong with that, have stripped them for cleaning and they look decent quality

mtbtomo replied to Sjl | 9 months ago
0 likes

I doubt the hubs that Vel use will be rebadged Hunt but they may well be from the same OEM supplier in the Far East. Do DT Swiss allow their hubs to be rebadged? I might well be wrong always had them down as being keen to maintain their premium quality branding. The hubs on my Vel wheels have Vel logos and I don't see any sign they are DT Swiss.

TheFatAndTheFurious replied to mtbtomo | 9 months ago
0 likes

The VEL "RL" wheels use a generic hub and alloy nipples (galvanic!).

The "RSL" and "RSL2" ranges uses DT Swiss 240 hubs with Sapim CX Ray spokes and brass nipples.

TeamShed | 10 months ago
1 like

Mapdec did an interesting YouTube video a few weeks back on Vel wheels. Well worth a watch. My mate has two sets and he rates them. The hub noise is so loud you have to shout over it though when freewheeling.

mtbtomo | 10 months ago
0 likes

I have some of the VEL alloy gravel wheels but the hubs are similar with straight pull spokes (if not the same even?). The Freehub sounds like swarming bees but that doesn't bother me, and they have been fine so far. These alloy rims were easy to set up tubeless and came with the valves etc. I have had multiple sets of wheels with these style of hubs (rebranded novatec maybe?) and no issues.

Could be wrong but a shop based brand has as much, if not more reason to help you out in the case of a warranty issue? I always think wheels are a bit of an odd one though for warranty, cos it's hard to prove a spoke that snaps early is a warranty issue or similarly a bearing that doesn't last very well.

I'd consider Vel if I was in the market for new road wheels.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 10 months ago
0 likes

I snapped up a pair of 60/85 RSL last year, with DT-Swiss hubs. Straight and round out of the box, all taped tubeless ready. There's a weight imbalance on the rear which I suspect the long valve and valve extender are contributing to, but I can only feel it on the workstand - not noticed anything when riding even though I know it's there.

The only comparison I have for these is the 34mm alloy Fulcrum 4 DB stock wheels from 2019 that came with the bike. No surprise that the Vels are faster, but they soak up some the road bumps far better than I was expecting for such deep carbon profiles.

My only gripe is that the disc rotor alignment on the rear is different to the Fulcrum. Whether that because the Fulcrum is out of tolerance or the Vel, I've no way to tell. Rotors seem to be the same thickness. When I swap the wheels over, I have to realign the caliper. It's only a tiny amount, but the tolerances on older Ultegra calipers are very small to start with.

kil0ran | 10 months ago
0 likes

I've got a used set of Vel 38s. DT Swiss ratchet hub, look good, working well tubeless, with relatively easy setup, easy to service. Mine arrived with good tension and are putting up with the twin challenges of awful roads and a heavy rider. Base your decision on whether you like the ultra-buzzy DT Swiss hub noise. Not sure about latest models but mine are only a 20.8mm internal width so best suited to 25 or maybe 28mm tyres.

mark1a | 10 months ago
2 likes

I have no experience with the Vels I'm afraid but I do run a pair of Roval C38s on a Roubaix. Had them for a couple of years now, covering around 4000km on that particular bike. They roll nicely, and are a great trade off between deep section and lighter weight. They're easier to handle in the wind than the CL50s I also have on another bike, although not as fast IMO.

No issues encountered so can't speak for the warranty, although for other things I've found both Specialized dealers and their own Rider Care team exceptional with customer service. 

All in all, good all round choice. 

OllieD replied to mark1a | 10 months ago
1 like

Thanks Mark. 

lio replied to mark1a | 10 months ago
1 like

Another vote for C38s here.

Latest Comments