Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrading to 11 speed from 10 comparability

Hi I run a Cinelli Experience 2015 Veloce in standard form with Miche Team Evo Max 50/34 and Veloce 10 speed shifters. Could I get my LBS to fit a Chorus 11 speed derailiure, cassette and chain (11/29) and get it to run smoothly without changing shifters...or is that the least of my problems...as in even if I had to change the shifters to Chorus 11 will it still not work correctly? 

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
0 likes

Fairly sure you can't run an 11-speed derailleur and cassette off 10-sp shifters for any manufacturer as the cable pull is different, Campag 11-sp shifters pull 2.6mm per click and 10-sp 2.8 mm. You might be able to bodge it to a position where it would change in the majority of gears but you'd still have a bad chainline with consequent rubbing and inefficiency.

Not sure about the second part of your question, you seem to be asking if Chorus 11 shifters would work with a Chorus 11 derailleur, cassette and chain, to which the answer would seem to be fairly obviously yes.

Yonaled replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
1 like

Ha yes I meant Centaur upgrades not Chorus! But yes as for the question...I was talking of if I did change the shifters, would it still be a problem due to the parts sitting at funny angles with the front chainrings etc but I think you have answered it fully and wouldn't want to to bodge. Thanks 

TheBillder | 2 years ago
0 likes

It will work with your current shifters, but you'll only be able to use 10 speeds, so you'd have to choose which of the 11 or the 29 to ignore. Replacing the shifters is a big proportion of the cost, so you'd really need to want that extra sprocket.

From personal experience, I run two bikes on 10 speed and one on 11, and I never really miss the 11th.

Yonaled replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
0 likes

Rrrr, I meant Centaur! Yes okay that answers a lot of questions then, thanks! Like the rational answer, maybe it is an over the top purchase and I should run as is if it's not going to do that much.

Latest Comments