Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Unfriendly And Littering Sportive Riders?

Here's a thing. I have increasingly noticed when out riding how ignorant the majority of sportive riders seem to be. Before anyone attacks me, this is my opinion, based on my experience.

I've been a cyclist since 1982, when I left school. I've cycled hundreds of thousands of miles, commuting, racing, touring, and for pleasure. I ride between 150-200 miles a week, both commuting and Sunday ride too. I am old school. I always say hello to any cyclist, horse rider, pedestrian when I'm out.

But I have noticed a trend. For example, last weekend I did a 60 mile loop through the Trough of Bowland. Once I got to Dunsop Bridge, lots of small groups of cyclists passed me riding in the opposite direction, lots of solo riders too, all with their number tie wrapped to their bars. I would say that approximately 85-90% completely ignored me when I called out a greeting. Not a wave, grunt, nothing. Not even eye contact. I have also noticed another sinister trend which goes hand in hand with sportive routes. Littering the lane were lots of discarded energy gel wrappers. Are they aware that there's nobody following them to pick up their crap? 

So why be so miserable and rude? And why be a litter lout? Is it a growing trend? Or is this the sort of people who are attracted to sportive rides?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

44 comments

S13SFC | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sportives on open roads are the domain of the wobblers, huffing and puffing whilst thinking how pro they look who lack the minerals to pin a race number on.

I mean, seriously, the mindset of anyone who spends ££ riding a route that they could ride for free anytime.

I appreciate closed roads have a whole different appeal.

Miller replied to S13SFC | 2 years ago
11 likes

S13SFC wrote:

Sportives on open roads are the domain of the wobblers, huffing and puffing whilst thinking how pro they look who lack the minerals to pin a race number on.

Well... that's nonsense and also the kind of snotty attitude that helps no-one. If by pinning a number on you mean road racing, that's a fairly inaccessible form of cycle sport. Unless you're already skinny and fit you're almost certain to be dumped out the back of the pack in short order. Add to that a decent chance of a painful crash.

Sportives encourage people to take on a longer and harder ride than they normally would, show them some roads they might not know about, and provide a sense of occasion. If that means they attract unstylish novice cyclists, so be it.

S13SFC replied to Miller | 2 years ago
0 likes

Road racing isn't inaccessible, anyone can race TLI but most wobblers are content with being an absolute menace on the roads on a sportive whilst thinking they look pro as fuck.

Anyone who has done any of the big European events will know it's true when you compare them to the UK ones.

Steve K replied to S13SFC | 2 years ago
5 likes

May be it's just me, but if I was considering racing (I'm not) I'd be rather put off if I thought a newbie would be treated with the kind of attitude you are showing to other cyclists.

Dingaling replied to S13SFC | 2 years ago
4 likes

With that attitude it would be nice if you fucked off and found a different forum for the tripe you write.

bobrayner replied to S13SFC | 2 years ago
5 likes

Sportives are a halfway point; casual riders have something to train towards, push themselves a bit harder, maybe go a bit further, amongst other people rather than alone. They can even put on numbers and get a finish-line photo.

Most casual riders will never actually sign up for a race because they're worried about facing attitudes like yours. So they'll keep on being casual riders and you'll always have an outgroup to mock.

bobrayner | 2 years ago
1 like

I've definitely noticed litter after sportives go past. Similar problem with runs; maybe not your local running club out for half an hour, but when a thousand people descend on a big city to run 10K, it seems like half of them will drop gel wrappers and water bottles in random places.

It seems to be almost sanctioned around feed zones - there's usually somebody to pick up litter - but you really shouldn't be dropping sweet wrappers in the gutter on a random stretch of road.

Can't speak for other sports, though. Do rowers leave a trail of empty yoghurt pots down the Thames? 

Mr Grumpy | 2 years ago
2 likes

It doesn't have to be a sportive to see the litter left by cyclists; inner tube here, gel wrapper there. We are maligned enough as it is without drawing attention to ouselves by riders who are too lazy and selfish to discard their litter properly.

Many years ago I was on a sportive and I saw a rider discard a gel wrapper into the hedge - I shouted his rider number at him and threatened to report him if he didn't stop and pick it up which he duly did.

brooksby replied to Mr Grumpy | 2 years ago
2 likes

But whatabout (yes, I know) the bags of McDonald's wrappers left along the side of roads (pretty sure by motorists, not be cyclists)? What about the little piles of cigarette butts left in lay-bys.  What about the wheel trims left on verges or footpaths.

I trust that the actions of one selfish and lazy motorist reflects upon all other motorists?

wycombewheeler replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

But whatabout (yes, I know) the bags of McDonald's wrappers left along the side of roads (pretty sure by motorists, not be cyclists)? What about the little piles of cigarette butts left in lay-bys.  What about the wheel trims left on verges or footpaths.

McDs definitely not left by cyclists since their [policy is that it is not safe to serve cyclists in the drive through (motorbikes are ok though???/)

But in fairness I doubt anyone decides to leave their wheel trim behind, they are entirely unaware it has detached from the vehicle.

Oldfatgit replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
1 like

The action of one lazy motorist *should* reflect on all ... but it doesn't as more people are able to identy with being a motorist and not a cyclist.

People that just drive cars tend to see us as one group; we know that that is bollocks because we regularily increase our brain power by exercising out in the fresh air.

It matters not what we know; it's what the *others* think ... and if they see one cyclist dropping a gel, then we are all tarred with the same brush --- RLJ but for litter.

Ride On | 2 years ago
1 like

They are probably too busy trying to get their money's worth ... very difficult when you are charged £70 go for bike ride

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

"I have noticed a trend"

Supplies 1 data point.  

jaymack replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Sadly the Ashdown Forest suffers a similar fate on a regular basis...

Rik Mayals unde... replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
8 likes

Actually not. Last weeks ride made me mad to the point that I posted this on the forum. I have experienced both the ignorance and littering for a few years. Unless you would like me to list all the experiences? 

stuartdbuchanan | 2 years ago
3 likes

My daughter and I encountered a large amount of litter when part of our route followed that of a Sportive that had taken place earlier in the day.  We ended up picking up quite a bit as it was in a particularly scenic and otherwise pristine bit of countryside. 

Being generous, one might accept that it is just a function of the volume of riders all consuming the free gels. 

However, irrespective of whether it is intentional or not, it is the responsibility of those running the event to ensure that their event has minimal environmental impact, which includes cleaning up any litter. 

This particular Sportive _did_ run a litter clear-up afterwards, but I'm sceptical whether it was effective. It's going to be hard to spot a gel wrapper in the verge from a moving vehicle.

So doing it properly means having a litter crew walk the entire route.  For a 160km Sportive that probably means a crew of 10.  Presumably Councils license  the running of Sportives, particularly if they require road closures.  IMO this should just form part of the license requirements.

Rendel Harris replied to stuartdbuchanan | 2 years ago
4 likes

Perhaps an "authorised litter zone" as in pro races might work (as I noted below, a significant number of sportive riders like to act as if they're full-on pros for the day, so maybe they'd like this extra bit of make believe?) along with a warning that anyone seen littering will be immediately pulled, as they do with dangerous riding?

wycombewheeler replied to stuartdbuchanan | 2 years ago
0 likes

stuartdbuchanan wrote:

For a 160km Sportive that probably means a crew of 10.  Presumably Councils license  the running of Sportives, particularly if they require road closures.  IMO this should just form part of the license requirements.

more I should think. I don't think 10 people each walking alone for 10 miles is a valid approach. so prbably 16 crews of 2 each walking 10km together.

Achtervolger | 2 years ago
4 likes

I'll never forget my shock at seeing a rider in front of me at one edition of the three peaks cyclocross race chuck an empty bidon. Not that it would've excused it, but it wasn't as if we were fighting for a top 10 spot and he really needed to jettison excess weight. To my eternal regret I didn't report him to the organisers.

Rendel Harris replied to Achtervolger | 2 years ago
14 likes

Sportive riders too often think they have to behave like pros in every respect (ironically of course the pros are now prevented from littering), I've even seen a couple (from a distance, fortunately) trying (incompetently) to pee on the move. They remind me of the tennis players one sees on the council courts fist pumping after every winner, or the Sunday league footballers who slide on their knees and pull their shirts over their heads when they score in front of an audience of two bored wives and a dog. It's all a bit sad really.

brooksby replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
4 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

... I've even seen a couple (from a distance, fortunately) trying (incompetently) to pee on the move. ...

chrisonabike replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
4 likes

Could have been worse...

Steve K replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
3 likes

One of the many, many reasons I could never have been a pro is that no way I would pee on the move.

mdavidford replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
2 likes

Steve K wrote:

One of the many, many reasons I could never have been a pro is that no way I would pee on the move.

Apparently, the number of sportives using it was the main reason for leaving Blackberry Way.

brooksby replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
0 likes

Steve K wrote:

I had never imagined, not for one moment, that they peed on the move...

Rendel Harris replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
4 likes

brooksby wrote:

I had never imagined, not for one moment, that they peed on the move...

You wait until you hear what they do with a cycling cap in extremis…

Shades replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
7 likes

One of the joys of cycling is you can ride the same bike wearing the same kit on the same road as your pro hero; problem is some people take themselves a bit too seriously.  

wtjs | 2 years ago
1 like

I wondered what those signs were out for!

IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
8 likes

There is a different culture in Sportives, and as a rider I've been on the receiving end of some very poor riding, and sometimes even abuse for daring to ride in the opposite direction on a country lane, causing people to have avoid me minding my own business on the public highway. It's a shame that Audaxing seems to be in decline, as it just seems more in tune with being out on your bike for enjoyment. Quite a few Sportive riders are there for a challenge, in part not helped by the name.

Rik Mayals unde... replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
2 likes

The very worst riding I have ever witnessed is on the Manchester to Blackpool. I have never ridden it, but many times whilst out on my Sunday run, I've happened upon it. It seems to bring out the very worst type of cyclist, the very ones which make the motorists seethe. I've seen them riding four and five abreast on busy main A roads, wobbling all over, wandering across the carriageway without looking, I've seen literally dozens riding through red lights on busy junctions, dodging traffic. 

Pages

Latest Comments