Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

UK Bike Delivery Delays

Hi Guys, long term lurker, first time poster. 

Just wanted to see if anybody else was having issues with their bike being delivered in 2021. 

I order a Trek Emonda ALR 5 through Sigma sports in December 2020. The delivery date has been pushed three times already. The latest is March but I'm not holding my hopes that it will arrive then. 

is anyone else having similar problems? 

I bought it through a cycle to work scheme and the payments have already started. Hopeing to get the bike before I complete all the payments 😂

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Cyclox22 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I purchased a Ribble on Jan 6th 2022 and it finally arrived on the 22nd June 2022....A painful wait!

Bilmocraig | 2 years ago
0 likes

When I was buying my first bike, I was convinced that to get a really good one; I needed to touch it, try it and see whether all parts were in place. I would never buy a bike online because this way, I cannot examine all the parts and cannot understand how my ass feels on it.
I still follow this rule and have never ordered a bike online without trying it for at least a bit. I don’t know whether it is right, but I am used to it and do it every time. But if I were to order a bike, I would probably order a dhl sendungsverfolgung delivery because they will most probably do it the right way.

Zigster | 3 years ago
0 likes

I bought a new bike via cycle to work in December (not Sigma but a different bike shop). Luckily they had the bike in stock so I could take it (I checked before I bought).

But the accessories I was also planning on buying (helmet and pedals mainly) are still out of stock, and latest estimate is end of March.

It's a sign of the times, I'm afraid. Presumably COVID with a side order of Brexit. Same story everywhere, based on cycling websites.

Lucy - Sigma Sports | 3 years ago
2 likes

I'm really sorry to hear about this Picapau. Unfortunately, the delays are out of our hands and we are just relying on the best information that our suppliers can provide us with. I can totally understand how frustrating it is, especially with the weather getting better. If you have any further questions in regards to this you can contact our Customer Care Team > customercare [at] sigmasports.com. Many thanks, Lucy - Sigma Sports  

Picapau | 3 years ago
0 likes

Looks like there are a few people having issues. Some comfort that we're all in the same boat. At least I bought it at 2020 prices and so kinda feels like I've saved money. Crazy how much everything has gone up in price. 

Philh68 | 3 years ago
3 likes

It's a global problem, here in Australia there's delivery timeframes up to 12 months delay on high end bikes. My LBS told me last week that he has waiting times up to 8 months on some bikes, and he's fared better than some other stores. Phil Latz who reports on the bicycle trade suppliers here has said it is likely to be worse in 2021 than 2020 was.

Part of it is compounded by a shortage of sea containers. China is experiencing a boom in demand for products and they're paying a premium to get them, so much so  that they're paying up to triple normal shipping rates just to get empty containers. That in turn prioritises the value of the freight that gets shipped. I don't think the bicycle industry can compete for that.

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

Pretty much the same story throughout the industry I'm afraid. My bike is due late March though I'm not bothered too much if that goes into April...but not too far!  10

The mechanical Ultegra version of my bike has been pushed back to late august - there's a massive shortage worldwide of this groupset apparently, probably causing a huge delay to a lot of bikes as this is a popular groupset 

Steve K | 3 years ago
0 likes

I specced up a bike to buy from Ribble.  A couple of days ago, it said expected delivery 27 May.  I didn't order it straight away because I wanted to check a couple of things; looked back at it the next day and the delivery had moved to 13 August.

Cyclecynic replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like

I had a date of the second week of March for my Ribble and it arrived the week before last so perhaps they quote the worst case. Ironically we had 6 inches of snow on the ground when it arrived so it stayed snug in its box for a week.

zeeridesbikes replied to Cyclecynic | 3 years ago
1 like

Not sure how relevant it is but when I ordered my ribble in January last year it ended up being built 3 weeks early so you might be surprised. 

Steve K replied to zeeridesbikes | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both. Not ordered it yet (just checking a couple of details) but probably will do next week. To be honest, it's not the end of the world waiting until the summer (my 9 year old Charge Juicer is still going strong) - my main worry is changing my mind/seeing a new bike I'd prefer whilst it's on order!

Picapau replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like

Same situation here. I order the ALR but now want the SL. Lol

EddyBerckx replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
0 likes

Steve K wrote:

I specced up a bike to buy from Ribble.  A couple of days ago, it said expected delivery 27 May.  I didn't order it straight away because I wanted to check a couple of things; looked back at it the next day and the delivery had moved to 13 August.

If it's a mechanical ultegra bike then that could be the problem - there a huge shortage of this group set and any manufacturer without a stockpile is saying the same thing (see my post above)

Steve K replied to EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

105 - but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't the same issues with 105 as ultegra.

Truffl3Shuffl3 replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
0 likes

My Ribble CGR Ti has now been pushed back to May 21 delivery due to some components not being available. Original delivery date was March 11, which was then pushed back to April 22. I'll be very surprised if the bike turns up this side of summer.

Not much you can do and certainly not Ribble's fault, though I do think the delivery dates shown on the website are a little disingenuous; if you select the 'right' components you might get it on time, if not you could be waiting another few months.

Steve K replied to Truffl3Shuffl3 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - saw your reply literally minutes after placing an order for an Endurance Ti!

The estimated date is 2 June.  Dates clearly are dependent on quite specific components - changing the cassette to an 11-34 (which was what I wanted) brought the date forward from mid-August.

Truffl3Shuffl3 replied to Steve K | 3 years ago
1 like

Good to hear! I think that now that I've got it out of my head that I'll be getting the bike soon I feel better about things - good things come to those who wait and all that.

Summer bike is going to be recommissioned soon so it won't really matter too much when it does arrive anyway.

Looking forward to some summer gravel rides now, and at least the bike will be there when the next winter comes round.

Steve K replied to Truffl3Shuffl3 | 3 years ago
1 like

Thanks.  Yes, I'm trying now to forget about the new bike until it arrives.  2 June is just after the late May bank holiday - and in half term.  I'm really hoping, therefore, that it turns up a few days early because then I'll be able to give it a decent run to our caravan (about 160km).  But not the end of the world if not.

Richard D | 3 years ago
0 likes

I ordered a bike at the end of May 2020, and got it at the end of December.  The wheels, and especially the Italian drivetrain, were the cause of the holdups.

Great bike, though.

Rik Mayals unde... | 3 years ago
0 likes

My best mate, who owns a bike shop has placed an order for some bikes for some customers, and he has been given a delivery date of the end of October.

ktache | 3 years ago
2 likes

Good luck mate.

World wide bike boom, allied to Covid closures of factories, shipping container weirdness and to top it all Brexit.

I have been waiting since August on a warranty replacement on my Surly Ogre.

Picapau replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

That's a shame. I assume we have to  just keep waiting. Been a strange 2020 and 2021 hasn't started that well. 

Latest Comments