Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Traffic to be banned from 'destination' Bristol street to help businesses survive

//i.imgur.com/DkOc4b3.jpg)

This is a contrast to the recent burger shop problem - there's plans to close Cotham Hill to traffic specifically to help the businesses there.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/traffic-banned-destination-bristol-street-5212159

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Velo-drone | 3 years ago
1 like

Great move. Rubbish route for cars anyway, and easy nearby alternatives.

Also in middle of students-ville - many of those shops/businesses main customers won't have cars.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

How will they get any customers?

I'm not coming if I can't park out side <stamps foot>

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ive never (literally never) seen an empty parking space along there anyway. It will impact mostly motorists cutting through from Whiteladies Road to Cotham Brow and St Michael's Hill, I suspect.

Awavey | 3 years ago
0 likes

isnt the Cotham Hill area where they often close the roads to hold street parties ?

hawkinspeter replied to Awavey | 3 years ago
0 likes

Awavey wrote:

isnt the Cotham Hill area where they often close the roads to hold street parties ?

Sounds about right.

brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

And, of course,

Quote:

The closure will be implemented using temporary barriers that will provide space for businesses to trade outdoors on both sides of the road, with a shared space for pedestrians and cyclists in the middle. Barriers and signs will be in place to ensure reduced cycle speeds in the shared space.

(my emphasis)

Which translates as they're intending to hand all that public space over to the pubs and restaurants and squeeze any non-customers into a strip down the middle.

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
3 likes

That's how I understand it. Sounds like a good idea to me as customers will be mainly outside and so virus transmission will be reduced.

I can live with a cycle speed reduction but then it's not exactly a major route (for me anyhow).

fukawitribe replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
3 likes

Exactly, it's to help businesses reopen in a responsible manner. The fact that it might possibly add a handful of seconds going up to Hampton Road, or down to Whiteladies, seems an eminently reasonable exchange to me.

brooksby replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I think my concern was more, given this Govt's love for making public stuff, private, that more public space might permanently become private space.

I read some stuff at the end of 2020 about streets in New York where they did this except with the added fun of having security guards at the end of the closed-off streets to check whether you were a 'genuine customer' of one of the restaurants or bars...

David9694 replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

If COVID isn't going to clear off completely then a lot of this country's (brick built) hospitality needs to re invent itself along the lines of a beach bar if it is to survive at all. Let's hope you'll be able to ride your e-scooter down there too. 

I was wondering if Howard Cox (Association of Bonehead Drivers) would like to come down?

Latest Comments