Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tool roll suggestions

I'm looking for a tool roll or similar to keep a few essentials bundled up and easy to move between different bags etc - something like this: https://www.albioncycling.com/product/tool-roll-black/ but with space for a chunkier inner tube (to fit 700x42 tyres) and a mini-pump (21cm long).

Any recommendations?

Beyond carrying capacity, my only requirement is that it is reasonably fill-and-forget. I used to keep a mini-pump attached to the frame but that's beginning to show serious signs of wear and tear/corrosion despite barely ever being used, and I once had an innertube fail right when I needed because it had been sitting in a saddlebag for too long and something else in there had worn away at it over time. I just want to know that if an when I have a puncture or mechanical issue, the things I'd packed a year ago are still good to go!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

nniff | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a tool rol l- a topeak one  - it works well and is more weatherproof than wee bags with a zip.  I think you'll struggle to fit the minipump into any sort of discreet under-the-saddle-bag though.  For what it's worth, I use a Fumpa mini-pump, which is a stupid-expensive way of pumping up a tyre at the roadside but one that has the upside of turning an irritating experience into one that is a bit of a giggle. Plus,  it travels well.

As far as tubes are concerned - roll them up tight and wrap them even tighter in clingfilm.   The clingfilm also gives you something to use if you have to fiddle with a filthy chain

hopster | 3 years ago
1 like

Easy to make with a sewing machine. Fabric and buckles etc.. are very cheap.

OnYerBike replied to hopster | 3 years ago
0 likes

Maybe one day I'll be committed enough to make one myself, but given that I don't currently own a sewing machine or have any idea where to begin, I might put that one in the folder of great ideas for the future...

hopster | 3 years ago
1 like

Make your own? 

brooksby | 3 years ago
1 like

I've got one of these in my saddlebag on Bike #2 -

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags/twiston-tool-roll-burgundy

and I have one of these carrying my tools for Bike #1 (shares its time between a pannier and a courier bag) -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackburn-Wayside-Roll-Tool-Brown/dp/B00ST2BEU6

OnYerBike replied to brooksby | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - I had come across the Carradice one when googling, but at 17.5cm wide I didn't think it would fit my mini pump. Maybe the solution is a shorter pump...

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I use one of these, I carry a spare tube (700x28), pump, CO2 inflator, 2 CO2 canisters and a puncture kit in mine.  There is also room for a small mini tool but I dont usually carry one with me, in 47 years of cycling I have only ever broken a chain 3 times (one piece of mangles wire when riding through long grass and two 10 speed quick links failing) and been stuck for the need of a hex key once.  I have been saved from a mechanical (snapped carbon seatpost) by a mini tool once so the balance of probability says dont bother carrying one, put a loose 4mm, 5mm and 6mm hex key in if you really feel the need.

OnYerBike replied to Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've only had a chain fail once in 12(?) years of riding so agree an unlikely occurence, but for the sake of carrying a multi tool and a quick link I'd rather have one than not! I also once destroyed a rear derailleur (beyond trailside repair at least) and so used the chain breaker/quick link to shorten the chain to create an abomination of a single speed. And occassionally it has been useful to adjust or tighten various bits and bobs while out and about - admittedly mostly things that should have been picked up during routine maintenance but sometimes things get missed...

Latest Comments