Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thru axle adapter

Hi All, looking for some help. Have just worn out the wheels on my CX bike so exploring options. Frame has quick release drop outs and I have a set of wheels with thru axles that would work, but can only find an adapter for the front wheel.

Any ideas appreciated before I bite the bullet and buy a new set of wheels.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

srchar | 1 year ago
0 likes

What wheels (or hubs) are they?  I had to buy a new axle to convert my rear wheel from 142 TA to 135 QR - the manufacturer didn't make suitable end-caps.

Grahamd replied to srchar | 1 year ago
0 likes

Fulcrum 800.

mark1a replied to Grahamd | 1 year ago
1 like

Fulcrum (Campag) UK distributor is I-Ride, and they have this:

https://www.i-ride.co.uk/products/components/wheels/mtb-wheels/kitfcraqr...

Might be worth getting in touch to see if this is compatible with 800s, even if not in stock. 
If it is compatible, seems to be available here:

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/fulcrum-kitfcraqr-hh12qr-rear-hub-adapter
Lordgun ship from Europe so VAT may be due on arrival. 

Grahamd replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Many thanks, will look into.

srchar replied to Grahamd | 1 year ago
0 likes

Grahamd wrote:

Fulcrum 800.

Unfortunately, I can't find a spare parts list for that wheelset, probably because it's OEM (i.e. only supplied to manufacturers).

However, I bet my bottom dollar that it has Campag hubs. You might want to take the wheelset to a Campag Pro Shop (or contact Graeme at Velotech) to see what the options are.

FWIW, I converted a pair of Bora WTOs, and ended up having to fit the axle and end-caps from the Zonda.

mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

Adapters are easy for the front wheel as both TA & QR are 100mm dropout. Rears typically could be 130mm (rim QR), 135mm (disc QR), 142mm (disc TA) and others. Therefore the rear dropout width has to get narrower for QR. Depending on the wheels, the manufacturer may supply suitable replacement endcaps, for example the Mason x Hunt 4 Seasons I run 2 sets of on my winter road and gravel bikes can be switched over in minutes by replacing hub caps. If your wheel manufacturer doesn't do this, I can't see a cost effective way of converting without changing the hub. 

Grahamd replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply, Helps immensely.

IanMSpencer replied to Grahamd | 1 year ago
0 likes

With that in mind, you could just buy a rear wheel if you cannot get an adapter.

However, with disc brakes, those wheels could be with you for a long time so adapters would be worth contemplating. With rim brakes, they are going to have a shorter life.

Latest Comments