Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Take care even if you think your bike is secure

I cycle to the train station and there is a secure facility outside that is accessed by electronic key fob you pay for.

Tonight as I was getting my bike I realised about six or so youths were hanging about outside eyeing up the bikes and scooters. I was honestly ready for something to kick off as I came out, so started my camera before I exited. 

In fairness to souteastern I didn't have to go to the station to alert them, someone already had, and as I was coming out two security guys were walking over and confronted them. I gave them my details and they told me I could stay with them if I wanted as some of the youths and scarpered somehwere and might be watching.

Another reason to run a camera! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

perce | 1 year ago
2 likes

Something I've been meaning to ask - does anyone else take a camera with them when cycling? I don't mean a bike camera, just a normal camera for taking photographs. I take an old film camera with me when I'm out and about. Half the time I forget about it or I'm in too much of a rush to stop and take pictures. I need to stop rushing about so much. I have eleven cameras now, god only knows why, I can't seem to stop buying them. Just seen another on ebay which looks quite nice. My favourite is an old half frame camera, I can usually get 75 photo's from a 36 exp film. A proper Yorkshireman's camera

Hirsute replied to perce | 1 year ago
0 likes

I think nearly all have a camera on their phone.

perce replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

Phones have cameras now? Wow.

Rendel Harris replied to perce | 1 year ago
7 likes

perce wrote:

Phones have cameras now? Wow.

Yep, they're great. It's just carrying that big black cloth, the tripod and the phosphorescent flash apparatus that's a bit of an encumbrance.

perce replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes

I'll get a bigger rucksack then.

Oldfatgit replied to perce | 1 year ago
1 like

I keep meaning to take my camera out with me.
Problem is though, cycling and stills photography are diametrically opposed.
The other problem is carrying kit; I don't like cycling wearing a rucksack, and there's not enough padding on a pannier bag.
One day I'll crack how I'm going to do it ...

Simon E replied to Oldfatgit | 1 year ago
0 likes

Oldfatgit wrote:

I keep meaning to take my camera out with me. Problem is though, cycling and stills photography are diametrically opposed.

I agree. Making good photographs invariably requires time, concentration and patience. I find that while cycling I'm too keen to keep moving.

As for carrying a camera (SLR or mirrorless type) while riding, Chipps of Singletrack mag used to have some kind of chestpack that made his DSLR easier to carry yet still accessible. But you'd still be limited as to number/size of lenses etc you can take with you and any type of bag can be a hindrance on a bike ride.

perce replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

Well I'm not looking for Ansel Adams quality, I just take a small camera that fits in a pocket.

ChuckSneed | 1 year ago
0 likes

Just ride off faster. It's not hard

Adam Sutton replied to ChuckSneed | 1 year ago
5 likes

Yeah, If you could explain how I can levitate out of a secure area with one exit that'd be great. FML.

Latest Comments