Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Suggestions for a live tracking app for Android phones

I've been trying to use the Wahoo live-tracking feature (got an Elemnt Bolt) but it's not reliable and seems to stop working just a few minutes after starting my ride. I suspect it might be something to do with my cheap chinese phone (Alpha Maze-X) not being great at bluetooth. Unfortunately, it's doing the opposite of what I want - I want my wife to be able to see where I am if she starts worrying that I've been out for too long and today it showed that I stopped halfway down a hill just a few minutes into my ride (which understandably made her think that I might have crashed there).

So, I'm looking for an Android app that just uses my phone (I always take it with me) and lets my wife see where I am. Ideally I'd like it to be controllable so that it doesn't chew up my battery when I'm not out cycling.

Any suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

gravelgraz | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've used Viewranger BuddyBeacon with good success before:

https://www.viewranger.com/buddybeacon/v2

Viewranger also seems to work much better using GPS for tracks than many basic Android apps.

They have a direct APK download if you want to avoid the Google Store (visit the URL on your phone):

https://www.viewranger.com/software/software.php

hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

Location sharing in Google Maps seems to work the best on my phone, so I'm going to use that for a bit. I don't know if Google have better code for keeping it polling in the background, but it doesn't stop working like Glympse or Wahoo (so far).

davidgray968 | 3 years ago
0 likes

We have used several different products over the years and the Life360 app has been the most reliable and accurate for us.

Glypmse never seemed to have me in the right place so was never accurate enough if I needed help.

With Life360 you can create a family group and either leave it on permanently or log out if you only need it for specific periods, ie rides, sportives etc. As with all locator apps the battery life needs to be monitored but it doesn't eat through battery life as much as some. I have done 8 or more hour rides and my phone still has a decent level of battery at the end.

Sriracha replied to davidgray968 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Curious as to why different locator apps should vary in their accuracy. It's not as if the app itself is finding your location and some might be more clever at that divination than others; they all just access the location permission and the phone's internals plus some Android alchemy provides the position.

carlosdsanchez | 3 years ago
2 likes

Android lets you share your location on google maps

open google maps, tap on avatar icon on the top left of the screen, then location sharing

It should give you a list of contacts in your phone and you can choose to share your location with them.

hawkinspeter replied to carlosdsanchez | 3 years ago
1 like

I think that'll probably be the best solution in the end as we both use Google Maps. I'll give Glympse a try out first as we've already installed that and set it up.

dave atkinson replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

Yeah google maps works really well, it's super simple to set up if you both already use it.

hawkinspeter replied to dave atkinson | 3 years ago
1 like

We tried Glympse this morning but it seemed to have shown me stopped at a KFC/McDonald's roundabout, so I'll try Google Maps this afternoon.

leaway2 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
4 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

We tried Glympse this morning but it seemed to have shown me stopped at a KFC/McDonald's roundabout, so I'll try Google Maps this afternoon.

Hmmm 🤔

Sriracha replied to dave atkinson | 3 years ago
0 likes

The Google Maps solution does seem to depend on you giving up Location History, so you need to be comfortable with Google knowing and remembering your every move. Not too sure why this is a requirement, since the other party only gets your present location, not your location history.

LetsBePartOfThe... replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
1 like

I'm still looking for an app where I can type in my choice of which location I'm currently "at". 

fenix | 3 years ago
0 likes

WhatsApp lets you share your location for a time that you choose.

My wifes job means that she works all over the place so she has a life 360 app that lets you see where she is. Seems to work really well.

anagallis_arvensis replied to fenix | 3 years ago
0 likes
fenix wrote:

WhatsApp lets you share your location for a time that you choose.

My wifes job means that she works all over the place so she has a life 360 app that lets you see where she is. Seems to work really well.

Whatsap has been much more reliable than Strava Beacon for me

Hirsute | 3 years ago
2 likes

Change your wife to a model that doesn't worry.

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

hirsute wrote:

Change your wife to a model that doesn't worry.

Is there an app for that?

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
2 likes

Tinder, Plenty of Fish, Grindr

1 like

hirsute wrote:

Tinder, Plenty of Fish, Grindr

I've spent way too long explaining the pros/cons of PPE to my current wife - I don't think I could go through all that again.

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

My wife tells me monthly weekly daily no one else would put up with me.

2 likes

hirsute wrote:

My wife tells me monthly weekly daily no one else would put up with me.

She must be some kind of saint

SteveBazza | 3 years ago
1 like

Have you tried Glympse?

hawkinspeter replied to SteveBazza | 3 years ago
2 likes

Thanks - I've installed it and am going to give it a try. I've also found out that you can do location sharing in a similar fashion using Google Maps.

Latest Comments