Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stuck lockring, any advice?

Never had this problem before (how many men have said that?), but finding it absolutely impossible to get the lockring off a Shimano HG-500 cassette, which I need to do to replace a broken spoke. It's not that old (two months/1700 km) and has been scrupulously oiled throughout its lifetime but I just can't budge it, even with a breaker bar added to the spanner holding the lockring tool. I know the dodge about fitting the tool into a table vice but unfortunately I don't have access to one. Any tips gratefully received!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
9 likes

Many thanks for all the comments and advice on this, I gave in today and took it to the bike shop. The lad in there got it off in seconds with a long-handled torque wrench on the cassette remover and a chain whip with a cheat bar attached. He agreed it was very tight but couldn't explain why, "Sometimes you just get one that goes like that." He refused to charge me anything because I was wearing an Evil Cycling Lobby sweatshirt, bless him!

ktache | 1 year ago
3 likes

It might not help and do it, but this is the perfect excuse to add the Pedro's Vise Whip and the Abbey Crombie to your tool collection.

Cassette removal luxury.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 1 year ago
3 likes

ktache wrote:

It might not help and do it, but this is the perfect excuse to add the Pedro's Vise Whip and the Abbey Crombie to your tool collection.

Cassette removal luxury.

Nice try, tempting me to buy more cycle tools, but my old chain whip has yet to let me down.

Luckily, I've never had a stuck lockring despite my heavy-handedness, though I've made the mistake of having one not tight enough which led to a slightly wobbly cassette and then a rear wheel locking up when the lockring got jammed against the frame. I'm puzzled as to how Rendel's lockring got so stuck.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

And the decathlon thingy is a third of the price.

And the newer rohloff only needs a screwdriver to get the rear cog off. And then the cog can be flipped to get many more miles out of it...

Rendel Harris replied to ktache | 1 year ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

Cassette removal luxury.

Ooh, like the look of that. Tempted to wait until one of Mrs H's cassettes needs removing and tell her it's essential...

Greenhorn | 1 year ago
1 like

I had the same problem and resorted to using approx 18" lengths of alloy tubes over the tools to increase torque. You will need assistance and probably a new cassette after due to the force needed to get it off.

Sriracha | 1 year ago
5 likes

Somebody has to ask...

... you are turning the thing the right way?

Rendel Harris replied to Sriracha | 1 year ago
5 likes

Sriracha wrote:

Somebody has to ask... ... you are turning the thing the right way?

I replied to this earlier, so sorry if it shows up twice, my reply was basically…

I don't need people on here to question my competence, I have a wife to do that for me and she has already asked that question! Pretty sure that unless Shimano have gone all Liz Truss on us (completely changed direction, geddit?) I'm going the right way...

David9694 replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes

If you've heaved a frame onto a vice to tackle a stuck b/b you do have to think which way do I turn it, to effect which direction, and which direction does this cup need to go? 

wycombewheeler | 1 year ago
2 likes

I normally put the lockring tool allen key/spanner at the 3 o clock position and the chain whip arm at the 9 oclock position, and push both down at the same time. wheel on floor. can put full weight onto tools.

duncanap | 1 year ago
9 likes

can I humbly request an update? The tension of this thread is really getting to me.

Did you end up using a scaffold pole and welding the wheel to the floor? Or did the various soakings of release agents, shamanic chants and Morris dances work? I must admit to being the kind of person who uses copper anti sieze paste on everything (I would happily use it on shoe laces if I could get away with it).

Rendel Harris replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
4 likes

Thrilling, isn't it? Current state of play is lockring still stuck, two things left to try, firstly one of my erstwhile rugby teammates is coming round for a drink tonight so we'll try one on each lever, the other is that Mrs H is borrowing a rubber mallet from work (she teaches design and technology before anybody gets any ideas about her having some strange exotic employment!) so the give it a thump method will also come into play. Failing that it's the LBS, which will be a pain, I certainly don't mind chucking a few quid at them but they all seem to be booked up for months on end at the moment.

duncanap replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Good luck. If nothing else works, and you can source a replacement free hub body then I guess as a last resort you could file/grind/ dremel the lock ring off. But rugby mates and breaker bars sound a better solution.

please think about what happens if it does let go suddenly- don't want to patronize you but it is easy to get caught in the moment and forget.

Rendel Harris replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
0 likes

Cheers, yes I shall watch out, I've had enough burst knuckles in the past! 

Usually I'm (too) quick to give up and get the Dremmel out, but the freehub on the Mahle system is a complex beast, with replacement basically requiring a whole new side to the motor casing, both costly and hard to source.

kil0ran replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
6 likes

Surely you mean Shimanic chants?

David9694 replied to duncanap | 1 year ago
2 likes

I mean, the summerhouse thing left by the previous people had pretty much rotted, I mean seriously, they'd put carpet tiles in and that was the end for the floor, so it seemed only sensible to get rid of it and  have a 10 x 6 ' man shed to replace it, ordering a workbench and and adding a bolted down engineering vice that's just what you do right, I mean it's not like I'm smarting from being defeated by a stuck b/ b and having to go to a vice owning mate's with it. 

Rendel Harris replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

If I thought I could get that past Mrs H that would be exactly what I would be doing!

ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

Tightening up by one notch might allow things to move and then release.

Incidentally, if you don't have a locking removal tool with the "locator pin" you can use a QR skewer, if it's a QR wheel. Also can be used, even tightened down if trying to get proper purchase with a square taper BB removal tool, if the spindle is hollow.

David9694 replied to ktache | 1 year ago
3 likes

Unless Superman installed it, this situation doesn't sound right, like increased brute force might not be the solution - it's only a bit of fairly flimsey alu.

Something is jammed - have you tried tickling the cogs, maybe gently with rubber screwdriver handle to see if there's anything that might click (back) into place to release it? I've got two chain-whips - it might benefit from a wiggle and a waggle anti-clockwise.  

EDIT: not Superman, but Bicycle Repair Man, of course. 

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
4 likes

I was pondering what would cause it to lock up too. When you tuighten, you can feel the ridged surface click and with a torque wrench you get a notching effect. The natural movement of the wheel is more likely to loosen the fitting (a rider had his wheel jam after failing to torque his cassette and the lockring unwound then wedged against the frame).

So, random list of thoughts: a locked ring might suggest cross-thread or over-torque, with the slight question in my mind that the lock ring might be wrongly ridged - imagine an offset sawtooth where it will torque up to 40Nm against a mild slope but then would require signficant force to unlock against the steeper ridge. I suppose the other question is whether there was a metal incompatibility between lockring and freehub and there had been some corrosion causing the surface to lock - the different series of cassettes do seem to use different materials for the lockring.

Rendel Harris replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

You've got me thinking there, the lockring is not standard Shimano issue, it's the Orbea ebike issue which has magnets in it to feedback to the controller. It worked fine with the original cassette and its replacement but maybe a slight tolerance differential with a new cassette could be enough to lock it up? I hope not, because in my experience of Orbea spare parts a replacement lockring will cost much more than a new cassette…

kil0ran | 1 year ago
2 likes

Does your tool (missus) have a locator pin? Like this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/IceToolz-Cassette-Lockring-Tool-Shimano/dp/B002...

They can be a great help in really wailing on a lockring as it's impossible for the tool to slip. I've used one of these with a two foot breaker to free a particularly recalcitrant lockring.

As you've already surmised, a dead blow hammer can help too. 

I did have one defeat me recently (also an HG-500 strangely enough) and the LBS used the vice trick. Very satisfying bang when it finally let go. 

Rendel Harris replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Cheers, yes I have one with a locator pin and a handle, which is brilliant for my other bikes, but this is the ebike with a solid axle so having to use the more traditional type of tool.

mark1a | 1 year ago
3 likes

Couple of things I'd try - squirts of WD40 Penetrant (https://www.wd40.com/products/penetrating-oil/) and/or GT85 onto the lockring, and leave for a couple of hours. Then the usual long bar/gentle percussive maintenance (hammer) methods. Failing that, spray something very cold  (such as a cold spray) directly onto the lockring, avoiding the hub as much as possible, then try the bar again.

Good luck. No warranty expressed or implied. Methods above have previously worked for me on a seized seat post. Your mileage may vary.

Rendel Harris replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks, it's soaking in  GT85 at the moment. Maybe I should go and buy a rubber mallet to give it a bit of gentle encouragement.

Secret_squirrel replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Make sure you're doing the trick of holding the lockring tool on with a QR - otherwise one slip and the teeth are shreded.

Rendel Harris replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
2 likes

And your knuckles on the spokes as well, I speak from experience! Thanks, yes, locked down with the nut.

IanMSpencer replied to Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
4 likes

I would not recommend using your mouth for extra grip - for that very reason. What are you on?  3

wycombewheeler replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

Thanks, it's soaking in  GT85 at the moment. Maybe I should go and buy a rubber mallet to give it a bit of gentle encouragement.

plus gas is your friend for unseizing seized threads

David9694 replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
3 likes

I hear WD is good for lubricating wing mirrors 

Pages

Latest Comments