Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM 12 Speed Compatibility

Can anyone help me with compatibility options for SRAM 12 speed chains?  I understand that SRAM are use larger diameter rollers to other manufacturers, and even use different diameters within their own ranges. How does this affect compatibility with 3rd party chains from the likes of KMC, who claim SRAM compatibility, yet use "standard" rollers? Does it matter? Might seem like a trivial point, but given the cost of replacement of SRAM parts, I'd hate to see a KMC chain eating through my SRAM cassette and rings.

Quote from cyclingtips.com "Most chains on the market start with a roller that’s 7.63-7.65mm in outside diameter. SRAM’s chains are larger — for example, rollers from a Red 22 chain are 7.69-7.70mm, while an Eagle 12-speed chain uses rollers that measure 7.72mm. And SRAM’s new Flat-Top chain as part of the Road AXS groups is larger again (7.90mm)."

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Recoveryride | 2 years ago
1 like

I know of 2 riders who run KMCs without problems. However, you might be interested in CyclingTips article on chain durability: the SRAM flattop AXS chains were head and shoulders above others (albeit a touch less efficient). So, while they are expensive, in terms of £/km, they do work out cheaper in the long run.

Latest Comments