Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spoke tension gauge

Can anyone recommend a spoke tension gauge, anything but Park Tools?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Richbeck | 1 year ago
1 like

Not cheap, but I guess if David at DCR uses one, then it must be good!

Tools – DCR Wheels https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/misc-parts/tools/

don simon fbpe replied to Richbeck | 1 year ago
0 likes

Oof! Cheers.

hawkinspeter replied to Richbeck | 1 year ago
0 likes
Richbeck wrote:

Not cheap, but I guess if David at DCR uses one, then it must be good!

Tools – DCR Wheels https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/misc-parts/tools/

I like the look of that spoke holder, but can't justify replacing my Park Tool one.

Miller | 1 year ago
1 like

Couple of years back I bought a cheap version, Wiggle's LifeLine X-Tools Spoke Tension meter, and it's been very beneficial for my occasional wheel building. My main discovery was something that I had already suspected, that I wasn't putting on enough tension. Winding 120kgf onto a driveside spoke takes quite some finger strength but it needs to be done. Modern carbon rims are rated for that sort of tension.

No recommendation then but I do think they are a worthwhile tool.

don simon fbpe replied to Miller | 1 year ago
0 likes

Not a necessary tool, just useful.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Well, there's some cheap ones on EBay, but I've only ever tried the Park Tool one which is overpriced.

To be honest, I don't find a spoke tension guage that much use as once you've built a couple of wheels, you can pretty much tell which spokes are too loose or too tight by trying to deform them or if you're musically minded, plucking them and listening to the tones.

However, I may not be the best person to make recommendations as I'm in the middle of building a Prime Carbon 60 rear wheel but bought the wrong spokes - I calculated that I should use 260/262mm ones but soon realised that they're too long. Now mucking around with swapping the 260mm spokes with 258mm ones and will replace the 262mm with the 260mm ones. I hope I don't have to get even shorter ones.

Edit: just seen that there are some phone apps for judging spoke tension by the note - similar to a guitar tuning app.

don simon fbpe replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

My musical skills would be of no benefit at all. Do you not use an on-line spoke calculator?

EDIT: Park Tools not just expensive, but pretty poor quality too.

hawkinspeter replied to don simon fbpe | 1 year ago
1 like

I did use an online spoke calculator, but must have got one of the measurements wrong. Probably the distance to the rim including the nipple height (which I didn't have).

1 like

I was thinking more on the lines of this, https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator where someone's already done the work.

1 like

Couldn't find one for straight pull spokes using the Prime RD010 hub and Prime 60mm rim

0 likes

Ah OK.

1 like

Had to hunt around a bit to find the spokes (DT Swiss Aero comp) as well, so I hope I don't need to get some 256mm ones

Latest Comments