Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spa elan bike build

Hi all I'm eventually getting things together to build my reasonably priced steel bike I've always wanted.
Right I've been and picked out the elan from spa cycles as its got great geo for me with a higher front end, it's well priced and looks cool 😎 I'm planning on running two wheel sets , one superlight carbon set for summer and a gravel hand-built set for winter. I'm just wondering if any of you have built up steel bikes and what experience you had ? I've done alot of looking about and I think I can build it 8-8.5kg with carbon wheels and 8.5-9kgs gravel set everything else is carbon, bars,seatpost,crankset,saddle and fork these are from printed weights do we think that's possible the frames 2kgs ish ? Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

I built a Spa Audax Ti up a few years ago, and several 531 frames in various ways. I was impressed at how well thought through the Ti was in terms of enough clearance for up to 28s, mudguards and short reach rim brakes. I'm pleased with my RSP carbon saddle and Brand X cardon bars. 

Stretch45 replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

Hi cheers, yeah I popped to the shop to see them in person and the quality of the frame was great 👍 I'm just deciding on colour now and I've made a list of parts, it's like Christmas for a middle aged person lol was the TI frame worth it ?

David9694 replied to Stretch45 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

At Spa's prices, yes, Ti is worth it.  The bike is very clear with me on the type of riding it wants to do. It's my winter bike. 

I also built up a 725 Spa Wayfarer, my attempt at riding the gravel craze. I think I'd go the Shimano GRX route if I had my time again there. I find passing through the countryside and village more interesting than gravel which tends to be forest tracks.

There's a thrill of the chase of selecting components, which I also enjoy.  There's a distinct order in which to build, particularly when you're not sure what is actually going to work with what, e.g. rim brake drops, mudguards (if using) and wheels.  Copper Grease, a torque wrench and presumably carbon assembly compound are also your friends. 

Stretch45 replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
0 likes

Hi yeah I see the gravel thing, I do get it but coming from mtb it's hard for me to see why you would ride off road without suspension? There's alot of cycle tracks near me but that's what I call gravel road really. I'm thinking the steel looks great should be more comfy and I'm not riding everywhere at 30mph to get aero gains lol its very hilly here so aero makes no sense, and as we all know most importantly steel and Ti bikes just look cooler 😀 you mentioned grx that was going to be my groupset but I'm Caution to the wind and trying one of the chinese groupsets for a laugh see what happens ?

Latest Comments