Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Something Needs to Change

The law in this area needs to change and change soon. Below is a link to a case in the Highlands where a motorist was told he must not drive due to failing eyesight.

Currently as I understand it. Opticians and doctors can only advise or tell the individual that they must stop driving and advise the DVLA. The professional cannot report the individual to the DVLA themselves.

It’s a minefield of trust, with individuals blinded (no pun intended) to the fact that their licence grants them the privilege rather than the right to operate machinery; and in today’s modern world, even more dangerous machinery on our roads.

It’s a growing problem here in Scotland with a growing elderly population and shrinking birth rate (there was a recent report that this had fallen for the 11th year running and was the lowest in over a hundred years). That, and the fact that Scotland has a large rural population where elderly tend to retire to and rely on their motors for independence (the old living in the cities tend not to own cars). This is also an issue throughout the UK. I can think of large poorly populated regions where folk retire to and none of these have a great public transport infrastructure. The Lakeland District, East Anglia, The Cotswolds. And they’re all areas where we head to to get some big miles in. Even on a more local level many of us have the countryside just 15 minutes away.

Fast roads, reduced reaction times and failing eyesight just do not mix well for the elderly. City and town driving are just as bad.

Personally I feel that once you hit say 70 you need to have a comprehensive medical with the examiner having the powers to confiscate your licence on the spot. Or quite simply, once you turn a certain age it’s bye bye licence.

https://news.stv.tv/highlands-islands/elderly-driver-with-failing-eyesig...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments