Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Small women's bike help

Hi,

My gf has had a hybrid bike to commute to work and has been enjoying going out on the weekend too. She has finally liked it enough to commit to a road bike but she is 4ft 11 and needs a really small bike to feel comfortable, especially to be in a relaxed position for her first road bike.

I have seen the liv avail 2 has an XXS and the canyon has a 3XS endurace 6 RB and I could try and shorten the stem further. I have also bought her a rouen 700 43 cm frame kids bike to help give her some experience before she spends a decent amount. The sizing doesn't look great when she gave it a test ride.

Any advice for sizing bikes down or any brands that do extremly small sizes in the UK? Don't want to spend over £1200 for her first bike

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

henryb | 11 months ago
0 likes

The Genesis Col du Glandon, with its 650b wheels is good for shorter riders. It's not made any more but you can pick them up on eBay

Secret_squirrel | 11 months ago
1 like

Cannondale go extra extra small on the synapse and Supersix Evo

Awavey | 11 months ago
1 like

Id go for 650 wheels for that size, and Canyons 3xs & 2xs comes with 650b wheels for that reason

unfortunately the price comes with the territory, bike manufacturers dont sell many bikes for smaller riders, so they dont come with the mass manufacturing appeal across a wide range of bike frame makers, that helps keep some of the costs down.

Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
2 likes

Decathlon do some nice women's road bikes and as usual offer huge bang for the buck: the RC500 disc might suit, they say the XS is suitable for 4'10" - 5'1".

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/road-bike-triban-rc-500-disc-brake/_/R-p-3...

Paul J replied to Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
1 like

Very useful.... I've been looking for a decent bike for my eldest daughter. She's kind of just big enough that another kid's bike would be a complete waste, but about 5 to 10cm too small for a small 700c.

Thanks.

SaveTheWail replied to Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
1 like

170mm, 50/34T chainset seems a bit excessive for a bike for someone 4'10" to 5'1", but you can get cheap 160mm cranks from Spa Cycles with e.g. 24/34/44 (I think they do a 160mm double as well).

mark1a replied to SaveTheWail | 11 months ago
0 likes

The XS is 5'1" - 5'5" according to the size guide so maybe 170mm is OK. 

Simon E | 10 months ago
2 likes

Islabikes? https://www.islabikes.co.uk/

Edit - CUK August/September magazine arrived yesterday. They have a favourable 1-page review of Islabikes Luath (£900, Tektro flat-mount brakes, Claris 1x with 11-40 cassette). The reviewer liked that it was specced with custom short-reach brake levers, a narrower handlebar and shorter cranks.

The 2 bikes they suggest as alternatives are the Surly Straggler 1x 650B for £2150 (SRAM Rival 1x11, TRP Spyre brakes) and Kona Rove AL 650. The cheapest Rove is £1099 with 2x8 Claris & mechanical disc brakes. Biketart is currently selling them at £879 while Cyclestore has the 2023 steel model,  described as 27.5, in stock here for £1200 (Sora 2x9, Tektro brakes) and the DL model with SRAM Rival 1x11 for £1600.

Latest Comments