Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shortening raw cut jersey sleeves

I have a Castelli "short" sleeve jersey with, in their words, Velocity Rev2 fabric on sleeves with close-to-body fit and raw-cut endings.

The sleeves are too long for my liking. Since they are raw cut can they simply be shortened with a decent pair of scissors without any hemming required, or will that screw them up?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Jimmy Ray Will | 1 month ago
3 likes

I would expect the edges will have been laser cut. The heat within that process sealing the ends of the fabric fibres, and thus stopping it from unravelling over time. 

It's a fairly standard process across the industry. 

Joe579 replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 1 month ago
0 likes

Ok - thanks for the heads up 👍🏼

Dnnnnnn | 1 month ago
1 like

Not my area of expertise at all - but that doesn't usually stop me, so... I presume that 'raw cut' means there isn't a traditional cuffed ending (it looks that way in online photos). Can you be sure there isn't still some form of sealing on the edge to prevent fraying?
I assume there will still be some kind of ending to the seam stitching, so you'd need to make some arrangements to stop that working loose. Wouldn't normally be more than the work of a few minutes though.

Joe579 replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 month ago
0 likes

Yes exactly that, there no hem at all, it just stops.  There is some slightly different stitching at the end of the seam, presumably to stop it unravelling as you suggest.

Latest Comments